FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Masterbuilt electric smoker brisket tips needed!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rook83

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17 17 2:16 pm    Post subject: Masterbuilt electric smoker brisket tips needed! Reply with quote

Hey guys, I want to run down what I am going to do...any tips to have a better brisket would be appreciated!

I bought a USDA Prime brisket from Costco, trimmed the fat until I got about a quarter inch left...
I was going to use some HEB (a grocery chain in TX) rub and season the heck out of it...leave it in the fridge overnight with the seasoning...start the smoker the next day with mesquite chips...put the brisket on the top shelf of the smoker at 225, and let it get to 200F IT...let it rest for about an hour or so and cut...

My questions are...
1) I know mesquite is way strong, so how much should I use? I usually use 1 cup of hickory chips and I get TBS and the meat tastes great...should I use less mesquite or the same amount?
2) Is the top shelf placement the best? The burner is down below...also I'm assuming I should smoke fat side down since the burner is below...
3) Every time I've used the Texas Crutch, I get moist but soggy brisket...could never get an actual good bark...I would wrap it at about 165F IT to 180F IT...I've tried it a few different ways...
4) Is there a commercial rub I can get from a local store? I will be buying everything and season the brisket tomorrow evening...

I know every opinion is different, however, my main goal is to have a nice crusty bark with moist meat inside...

Any responses or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thanks y'all!

Rook
kentatas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15 17 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Did you have handbook for usage? By the way, I found some sources that may help you
https://masterbuilt.com/recipe/brisket/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IHm5oLV57g
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15 17 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Masterbuilt electric smoker brisket tips needed! Reply with quote

Rook83 wrote:
Hey guys, I want to run down what I am going to do...any tips to have a better brisket would be appreciated!

I bought a USDA Prime brisket from Costco, trimmed the fat until I got about a quarter inch left...
I was going to use some HEB (a grocery chain in TX) rub and season the heck out of it...leave it in the fridge overnight with the seasoning...start the smoker the next day with mesquite chips...put the brisket on the top shelf of the smoker at 225, and let it get to 200F IT...let it rest for about an hour or so and cut...

My questions are...
1) I know mesquite is way strong, so how much should I use? I usually use 1 cup of hickory chips and I get TBS and the meat tastes great...should I use less mesquite or the same amount?
2) Is the top shelf placement the best? The burner is down below...also I'm assuming I should smoke fat side down since the burner is below...
3) Every time I've used the Texas Crutch, I get moist but soggy brisket...could never get an actual good bark...I would wrap it at about 165F IT to 180F IT...I've tried it a few different ways...
4) Is there a commercial rub I can get from a local store? I will be buying everything and season the brisket tomorrow evening...

I know every opinion is different, however, my main goal is to have a nice crusty bark with moist meat inside...

Any responses or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thanks y'all!

Rook

[/b]Unless you are stuck on 225 I would suggest you go higher. Many people are afraid of 300+, so I would say shoot for 275. But if you want 225, then go for it...it'll get done.

1) For chips I would mix the hickory & mesquite...if you feel you need to use the mesquite. Otherwise just stick with the hickory or find you some oak.

2) Yeah...go fat side down & don't trim too thin. The fat will help protect from the heat source. And if it starts to get too done for you on the bottom, don't forget that brisket has two sides...you can flip it.

3) Wrapping if fine. If you want a crusty bark (I don't get the infatuation), then wrap around 165 & unwrap to finish when it hits 180. Use the foil to push through the stall (if you feel that's necessary), but unwrap to finish the bark.

4) Honestly SPG does brisket as good as any commercial rub. Use any ratio you like...but...1/2c. coarse ground black pepper, 1/4c. salt, and 1-2Tbsp. of granulated garlic is a decent place to start.

After the cook, I would let it sit for 15 minutes unmolested on the counter. Then wrap in parchment (I'm assuming you don't have butcher paper). Place it in a cooler for at least two hours. If you leave it on the counter, just monitor temps. You can always throw it in the oven at the lowest setting (usually 170) to bring the temp up if you get into the danger zone & you still have a while to wait until you eat. Once the IT gets to 135 you still have 4 hours until it's recommended you toss it (for commercial operations)...you should have plenty of time.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Smoked Foods All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: