FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confused - curing salt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nutsy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14 16 9:56 pm    Post subject: Confused - curing salt Reply with quote

Is the use of Pink Salt, Progue Powder, etc only used when you are smoking or drying meats?

It is not used in fresh sausage, am I right in assuming this?

Thanks Rolling Eyes
BBQ Tek
5# Kitchener Stuffer
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15 16 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct, it is a cure and not needed for fresh sausage to be used right away.
Smoke Hollow #5
Lang 48 D
Acorn Komado
And a couple of Weber kettles
Nutsy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16 16 7:48 am    Post subject: Thanks animal Reply with quote

I can lay my mind to rest on that point Wink
BBQ Tek
5# Kitchener Stuffer
montanabbq

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17 16 4:38 am    Post subject: Curing salt use Reply with quote

Make sure you use Curing salt #1 and not #2.
Nutsy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17 16 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thks what dooes # 2 do?
BBQ Tek
5# Kitchener Stuffer
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22 16 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutsy wrote:
Ok thks what dooes # 2 do?

Cure #2 contains 6.25% sodium nitrite (the same as cure #1) but it ALSO contains 4% sodium nitrate. The difference between sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate is this: sodium nitrite is immediate, it goes to work right away to preserve meat, enhance colour development, and protect the meat from bacteria and toxins such as the deadly botulism spore. Sodium nitrate, on the other hand, does not do anything to preserve or cure meat. All it does is break down slowly into sodium nitrite which does what I previously described above. The difference with sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate is like a time-released pill ... nitrite will work immediately like a regular pill. Nitrate will work slowly like the time-released pill.

So why should this matter? If you are curing something like sausage or bacon, you want the nitrites to go to work quickly to protect the meat since you are curing them over a very short period. If you are curing something like a salami, coppa, or breseola, you want the nitrites to slowly work to preserve the meat through a time-released method as they are long-term cures (several weeks or months). Cure #2 also has sodium nitrite right off the hop so you get the immediate protection plus the time-released protection of the sodium nitrate.

So why can't you use them interchangeably if they both contain sodium nitrite at 6.25%? Well there is a thing called nitrosamines that are produced when excess nitrites have not been used. Nitrites - when broken down in cures - produce nitric oxide (a harmless gas that dissipates away from the meat). If the nitrites have not been broken down then any reaction with secondary amines in an acidic environment (such as a piece of meat being cured; cooking charred and crispy meat/bacon; and the digestion process in a human stomach) will produce nitrosamines and these, my friend, are the nasty carcinogenic chemicals we do not want to consume. If you used cure #2 in your andouille sausage, the residual nitrites from the nitrates breaking down over time would be so high that nitrosomine formation would be dangerous and guaranteed. You do not want to create any more nitrosamines than can be avoided! Also, studies have found that adding vitamin C (sodium ascorbate or just ascorbic acid) will reduce nitrosomine formation by accelerating the breakdown of nitrites into nitric oxide. Many commercial producers are now required by law in some countries to include vitamin C in their cured products for this very reason.

Sorry for the long post! So to summarize:

Cure #1: Short-term cures (bacon, smoked sausage)
Cure #2: Long-term cures (salami, coppa)

No cure: Fresh sausage (if it is being produced to be eaten right away or within a few days) Keep in mind, if the sausage is going to be in the danger zone temperature for a prolonged period of time, it likely needs cure.
Nutsy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22 16 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do not apologize for the long post, it was very in formative, and if you dont ask you dont learn.

Great post!
BBQ Tek
5# Kitchener Stuffer
Nutsy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15 17 9:34 pm    Post subject: Boudin & Cure # 1 Reply with quote

I have made boudin a few times and smoked the sausage, I did not use Cure #1.

I recently read a recipe that stated if you smoked the Boudin, it is imperative cure be used.

Is this correct even though the boudin mixture is precooked prior to adding it to natural casings?

Thanks all
BBQ Tek
5# Kitchener Stuffer
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16 17 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly sure boudin is traditionally not cured.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21 17 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Boudin & Cure # 1 Reply with quote

Nutsy wrote:
I have made boudin a few times and smoked the sausage, I did not use Cure #1.

I recently read a recipe that stated if you smoked the Boudin, it is imperative cure be used.

Is this correct even though the boudin mixture is precooked prior to adding it to natural casings?

Thanks all

Think of cure as an additive to prevent deadly bacteria from growing, (Botulinum) while your sausage is in the perfect environment to grow that bacteria.

Smoking sausage at low temps (40-140) in an environment that has low or no oxygen present for hours and hours is the perfect set up to get C. Botulinum to propagate and produce its deadly spores .

Since you are not smoking, or holding the sausage in such an environment, no cure is required.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: