FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Build My Pit 101
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06 17 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you build the fork lift attachment on your front end loader? That is nice! Hate to get off subject on your thread but could you post some pics of it? I might like to copy some of your handy work as well. Very Happy
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06 17 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, built that a few years ago, just grabbed some out-of-spec forklift forks from work and just threw together something to put them on the tractor. Not much to it, really. I'll see if I can get some pics of it tomorrow.
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26 17 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the fates or whatever are all working together to make sure I don't have time to work on this thing: I squeezed out a little time today and just wrote it off to mental health maintenance...

First off: the fork attachment for the tractor: Pretty simple, actually, as I said before, I just got some out-of-spec forks being scrapped at work and just built something that woiuld hold them.. That size of John Deere has a little different connection than a lot of FEL's; I've previously made some jigs and such to do the correct radius on the "hook" for it, then it was just stick some steel on if it looked like it needed it. The forks just have a couple of "hooks" cast into them that hang on the top of the top rail and the bottom of the bottom rail: just found as thick a flat bar as i could find that would fit into it and "approximated" that rail. The "originals" have slots to pin the forks at any given position, I just let it slide: it never moves under a load, but will rattle sideways a bit if theres nothing on it. I always said I'd pin the ends to keep them from falling off, but that's a get a round tuit issue.

Really pretty much just glob it together: not pretty at all, but it's been quite functional: it's picked up all the tractor can handle, and has really peeved the guys at the feed store off since they have to stack stuff on a pallet instead of just throwing it in the truck from 6' away..
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26 17 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now: back to the pit... As I said, I've REALLY had a hard time scratching out time to work on this: just that time of year more than anything, burning diesel and 2,4D...

Here's the results of a few little stints that I could put into it:

This has probably took more thought than anything I've dealt with on this for quite a while, just getting everything to do what I want it to and do so in accordance with the laws of physics..

Started with putting together the burner "assembly": The ring is a 3" section of 8" pipe, I plasma'd out a notch for the factory made burner and hung it on 3/8" x 1" flat bar attached to the trailer frame. Another strap of the same material underneath the section of pipe for the burner attachment point.

Add a few more 6" pieces for the rest of the "Pot supports"

A couple of 1-1/8" holes in the cover plate for finger pulls..

And a "slot" cut in the back of the same cover plate, in order to facilitate the rotation on the hinges.. I also ended up cutting out the angle iron on the back of the hole that WAS holding up the cover plate: once I finally got to this hinge solution, it was in the way.. Metal Circular saw to the rescue again. If I had half of k.a.m.'s skill with a torch, I wouldn't worry about it, but that thing's been a heck of a timesaver on this project.

This is really about plan "F" or so on these hinges: I really, really wanted to not have anything on the surface to interfere with sliding coolers, etc. across it, and as a result I went through a bunch of different iterations of different hinge designs, etc.: none of them worked, of course, just couldn't get the rotation, etc. to work the way I wanted it to.

I do need to put a few assorted pieces of flat bar here and there to support everything, but it seems to work pretty well...
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28 17 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work dwilliams35. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29 17 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The burner looks great and thanks for taking the time to post pics of your fork attachment.
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29 17 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys; it's shaping up like I may have a good bit of time this weekend to work on this; I'll keep you posted...
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05 17 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, on to the Santa Maria grill/parilla/whatever you want to call it;

Finally got the crank mechanism put together;

Just wanted to do something a little different, and keep from having all that "superstructure" hanging in limbs and such when I'm off-roading this thing..

The cable, of course, just goes up to the top pulley, then down through one of the uprights. There's another pulley and piece of tubing to carry the one cable und neath, then a repurposed truck strap winch to wind it up. I yanked the wheel off a scrap valve at work and made a shaft to connect the two. The shaft is just pinned in with a PTO pin so I can get it out of harms way on the road if needed.

I scrapped my first try at the cover, just wasn't happy with the way it came out. I got a new piece of diamond plate and did front and back on a brake at work. I've still got to put some side edges on it, and something to keep the wind from blowing it down, but I'm liking it so far.

Getting really close now...
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15 17 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much of an update here, just ran into a question for the gurus:

First, just to catch up:

After however long it's been , I ground off the tack that kept the ash door on the grill closed for construction. AANNNDDD... of course it doesn't open and close right now. A little grinding here and there and it's back in business.

The coal grate has a "scraper" on the back side to drag the ashes out with it... I fortunately live in a place where I can get away with just opening the door and dragging them out into the pasture without the HOA getting after me...

I broke out the annular cutters and drilled the holes for the thermometers, and put some guards on them. I was REALLY trying to avoid buying a full or even a half joint of 3.5" pipe to hold the 3" thermometer, given that I needed all of three inches of the stuff.. I found a scrap of heavy-wall 3.5" at the shop, and turned the OD down to shed weight. They fit pretty well...

Which brings me to the question: I have been racking my brain trying to figure out a place to put a thermometer in the warming box above the firebox: no matter where I came up with, it seemed like I was running into a situation where the probe on the back of the thermometer, no matter what length, was at risk of getting in the way of the pans, the rails, or whatever.. I finally came up with this, but it seems to work well enough that there's GOT to be something operationally wrong with it: I know I'd be better off with the probe really at the food level, but it just wasn't working.... Anybody see any real deal-breaker issues with putting this here:???

It's just kind of sitting there, of course: it would probably end up with an inch or so more of the pipe cut off, and then weld a disc inside the pipe to hold the thermometer: cut a hole big enough in the "roof" of the warming box for "ventilation" into the pipe, and the probe can be sitting there effectively safe and out of the way.. That doesn't fit the thermometer quite as well as the big ones, but we can't have everything..

Anybody see any real problem with doing it like this?
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25 17 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrapping up some details now; one of which is a propane bottle. I'm either going to have to have it VERY close to that grill, or just go with a 6' hose and leave the bottle in the back of the truck... any thoughts one way or the other there? Trying to keep this a compact package is kind of biting me in the butt as far as this goes...
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26 17 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mount the tank on the front of the trailer and hard pipe it. You will only need a short flex regulated hose to the hard piping.

Hybrid Cooker
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26 17 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Mount the tank on the front of the trailer and hard pipe it. You will only need a short flex regulated hose to the hard piping.
Thats always been my plan, but once I put a bottle up there the only place to really put it is REALLY close to that grill. There's just not that much room on the tongue of that trailer to pick and choose where it goes, and if I try to cheat it away from the grill I start running into the trailer jack.... I'll take some pictures tonight and put them up; do you think there's a real minimum distance here? More worried about just a source of ignition on a leak than I am about getting the bottle too hot or anything like that.

I guess now that I think about it, it's not any closer to that grill than forty million other wal-mart gas grills out there are.....I'll go with it.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27 17 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go further forward making a tie down like mine.

Hybrid Cooker
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27 17 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
You can go further forward making a tie down like mine.
Don't think I haven't already thought about it..... Laughing
brutus1964
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27 17 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could move the propane tank a little forward you could add a piece of 1/4" plate as a heat shield between the cooker and propane tank.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28 17 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brutus1964 wrote:
If you could move the propane tank a little forward you could add a piece of 1/4" plate as a heat shield between the cooker and propane tank.
I'm really not that worried about heat: it's below the bottom of the grill, and I just don't see that much heat being an issue: like I said a couple of posts ago, it's not in any worse a position than any propane commercially-sold grill. I was mainly worried about just ignition source issues: I guess I just have spent too much time dancing around the LP gas space and distance rules over the last few years, and have it on the brain...
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29 17 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is turning into a really great looking build. REALLY
well thought out. Just thinking - an old time suicide knob
on your grill wheel would look cool...
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30 17 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jess wrote:
This is turning into a really great looking build. REALLY
well thought out. Just thinking - an old time suicide knob
on your grill wheel would look cool...
. Probably would help, too; of course I see it banging into my knee regularly....

Thanks, it's been a long time coming; if everything, and I mean everything, falls into place right, I'll be doing a test burn tomorrow and it will go to the sandblasters next week.

K.a.m; got the propane bottle mounted, what do you think about this? Anticipating just using one of the single-post Master pin locks on it, just have a bolt now to locate everything....

The same 8" pipe I used on the burner is a very tight fit on the LP bottle base; I slotted it, drove a wedge in the slot, and welded it down for the bottom to sit into..

Made a top collar, split in two and hinged...

Welded half of the collar to the structure with some 3/8" x2" flat..

I'll also likely either drill a hole or plasma out a notch in that collar to allow the Hose clearance.
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04 17 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, gentlemen, I know it's by no means the end here, and some more pics to come, but barring any discovery of something I missed, I do believe I've put my last weld on this build earlier tonight. Test burn tomorrow night or this weekend, haul it to the blasting/painting early next week, then some gas plumbing and trailer wiring when it gets back..

I'm rather enthusiastic. A year and a a half.
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04 17 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing some pics of the finished product. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: