FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Offset cooker mod question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slevy008

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04 17 6:55 am    Post subject: Offset cooker mod question Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I just got a new COS (Landmann Offset/Brinkmann Trailmaster LE). I have been checking out the different mods to do to it so it performs better... baffles, exhaust extension, firebox lid/cook chamber gasket and latches. My question is about sealing the rest of it. I have seen some guys out there use Hi Temp Red RTV to seal up the two halves of the firebox, the connection between the firebox and cook chamber, and where the exhaust stack connects to the chamber. What do you guys think? I have noticed that some people have said not to do this around the firebox (between the halves and between the firebox/cook chamber) because the firebox would likely exceed the max temp of the RTV. Thoughts? What about using aluminum tape to do it instead?
Also, some have said about painting the smoker in high temp paint when its brand new... what do you guys think?

Thanks for any help,
Steve
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04 17 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use lavalock tape Steve.
http://bbqgaskets.com/cook-chamber/lavalock/self-stick/grey-self-stick-duponttm-nomexr-gasket.html
I would run the paint on it. As the firebox starts to fade out spray it with Pam before you fire up it will start to season the firebox like a skillet. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
slevy008

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04 17 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
You could use lavalock tape Steve.
http://bbqgaskets.com/cook-chamber/lavalock/self-stick/grey-self-stick-duponttm-nomexr-gasket.html
I would run the paint on it. As the firebox starts to fade out spray it with Pam before you fire up it will start to season the firebox like a skillet. Smile

That sounds like a good idea.

What do you mean run the paint on it?

Steve
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04 17 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Offset cooker mod question Reply with quote

slevy008 wrote:
Also, some have said about painting the smoker in high temp paint when its brand new... what do you guys think?

I was guessing you were asking about painting on top of the original paint here. The cooker probably already has a high heat paint on it and should last a while the firebox paint will deteriorate first.

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: