FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Long time no post....got a new cooker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoesterVT
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11 17 12:25 am    Post subject: Long time no post....got a new cooker Reply with quote

I had been using a modified vertical Brinkman (what we used to call the ECB). I recently bought the Chargriller "Double Play", and added a side smoker box. The thing actually works really well for me. Much better than expected. I was thinking it would be just ok at everything, but not great at anything...but this things has been great. Done just about everything. Yesterday I did a few slabs of baby backs, and a home made gyro loaf. Used apple wood and maple for the smoke...

JoesterVT
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11 17 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I did a chicken, a butt, and a slab. Here they are about 3/4 finished. I also cooked some taters on the gasser side Very Happy

brutus1964
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11 17 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything looks great. The ribs looks awesome. Thanks for posting.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
JoesterVT
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11 17 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...as a follow up, here's what the gyro loaf looked like sliced thin and heating in olive oil. Served it on a pita with tzatziki, lettuce, onion, mater. It was really, really good...

kidlebo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 17 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking meat Joester! I have the Char Griller "Duo"...same basic thing I suppose, but no fire box. I like it a lot too. For what it is...it works out great.

With your fire box on the side, you have more for space for the meat. I put my coals and wood on the right side, so I can only out meat on the left part of the grates.
PaleAle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15 17 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homemade gyro loaf?!?!? Whats the recipe I love gyro meat and cant find it around here within 1 hour drive Confused
dmike25
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15 17 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaleAle wrote:
Homemade gyro loaf?!?!? Whats the recipe I love gyro meat

+1 for sure Very Happy
JoesterVT
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17 17 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I did...

1 lb ground lamb, 1 lb ground chuck, half a large onion very finely diced, 1 large jalapeno very finely diced, a handful of fresh mint, and a couple tablespoons each dried oregano, basil, and parsley, then salt and pepper to taste. I mixed it well and loaded it into a foil lined loaf pan, and really packed it tight. Then turned it out onto the smoker grate and let it rip. One trick that you can do is use a foil covered brick to compress the loaf and make it nice and firm.

I put it in the fridge over night, sliced and reheated in a skillet, and served with typical gyro fixins. It was REALLY good.

Next time I'll use dried mint rather than fresh (to reduce the amount of greenery in the finished product), and probably use all lamb instead of 50/50 with beef.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: