FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Pork Butt - advice please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JONESEY
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15 17 3:59 pm    Post subject: First Pork Butt - advice please Reply with quote

Hello ... firstly I apologise to you all. My last post on here saw me getting quite rightly told 'not to let the door hit me on the way out', or words to that effect.

I am coming to you knowing that, and asking for your advice.

I've recently purchased a new (second hand) smoker and want to do a Pork Butt this weekend, maybe with a fatty as a cooks treat.

Reading recipes etc, some say foil, some don't ... some trim the fat off, some don't.

The joint of meat weighs around 4.5lbs so it's a small one by some peoples standards, and I'm guessing at a cooking time of up to 9 hours ... is that correct?

What internal temp should I be cooking to?

I'm using a ProQ water smoker, so hoping that will aid with keeping it moist (ahem) ... do I spritz with apple juice, or not?, or or or?

Really would appreciate your advice on this.

Thanks!
brutus1964
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15 17 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pork butts are very forgiving and in my opinion a great cut to cook. I keep it pretty simple. I wash the meat and dry it with a paper towel. The butt is a large piece of meat so I rub salt over the entire piece of meat. You can use the rub of your choice or just S&P. I don't trim anything, I place it fat side up and run my cooker about 275 (I have cooked butts from as low as 225 up to 300 and the results are nearly identical). Once the internal temp reaches about 165 (usually about 4-5 hours, depending on cooker temp), I flip the meat and let it cook. You can wrap the butts in foil after about 4 hours and turn the meat and this will help speed up the cooking process. I usually start checking for tenderness around 190 and pull the butts when they are probe tender. I have pulled them as low as 190 and as high as 205 or so. Its really a matter of personal preference as I have cooked butts and shoulders completely through without turning and have had great results. I usually cook at a lower temp for a longer time when I do this. When I pull the butts I usually wrap them in foil and place them in cooler with a dry towel and let the rest for about and hour or so. Once they have rested I pull all the meat apart and serve. There is no set time as they are done when they are done. My best guess would be that if you cook at 275-300 and wrap the butt after about 4 hours it will take about 6-8 hours, and if you cook on the low end 225-250 it could take 8-10 hours. I have cooked butts as long as 12 hours but as I've gotten older I can usually get it done in 8 and an hour to rest the meat. I hope this helps.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16 17 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one can tell you how long it's going to take. We don't know your cooking temperature, & all cuts of meat are different.

If it were me? I'd turn the coals to it...cook it at 300-325...and have it done in five hours or less.

Season it with salt & pepper or just salt. Fat up or down doesn't matter much, but I generally cook fat down.

Cook till probe tender...no resistance when you push it in the meat...that'll be ~somewhere~ between 195-205.

Let 'er rip, get it done, wrap it for an hour or two to rest. It'll be perfect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: