FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Been getting an itch for an ATV

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyin-lowe
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 15 7:54 am    Post subject: Been getting an itch for an ATV Reply with quote

I never grew up on 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, etc. However my house has 5 acres and a 600 foot driveway. I've been thinking about buying a 4x4 ATV to use around here plus maybe use during deer season and for what ever else. My initial thought was to buy used. From what I have been told at the dealers the quads are not selling as fast as side by sides so the market is down a little. Problem is people are often asking as much or more for a 3 year old quad for what I can get a 2015 (year old, left over new at the dealer) model. Really looking hard at a Polaris Sportsman, either 450 HO or the 570, plus a snow plow. I am guessing there are a few ringers that are riders??? What do you guys ride, any of you plowing snow with them?
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 15 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyin-lowe I just sold my Polaris 500...loved that machine plowed with it every winter for 10 years. never had to put a dime in it not even a battery . just full maintenance bought it new did not want something somebody beat up . I put wings on my plow made out of peterbuilt mudflaps to get the job done faster Wink They worked great and did not have to worry about rubbing the stone retaining wall Embarassed
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 15 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want a toy or a utility work vehicle? A CUT (compact utility tractor) can do a lot more things for you on that 5 acres and 500 foot driveway, including the snow plowing, It won't do wheelies though. Confused
flyin-lowe
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 15 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I bought a new Ferris ZTR mower so I would like the ATV over the CUT. All my neighbors mow with tractors, either a belly mower or a pull behind finish mower. It takes quite some time to do a five acre lot with one of those. I can do mine in about 1 1/2 if I really hurry, 1 and 45 minutes normally. Definitely am thinking ATV though.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 15 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, for acreage a zero turn is the ticket. I can halve the time with a zero turn vs. the time it takes using a finish mower. I wasn't thinking a CUT necessarily for grass cutting but for all the other wonderful things it does. If you need to haul stone or mulch, groom your driveway, plow/till a garden, split wood, mix concrete, and so on it's a handy thing to have around.

I'm not nay saying an ATV, and I know they make a ton of attachments for them, but just suggesting that there are limitations depending upon the scale of work to be performed. My neighbor up at the mountain property was "all that" about using an ATV with the mower, tiller, and so on. A few months later he was selling off the attachments because he finally figured out the scale of work was too much for the ATV. He now has a CUT in addition to his ATV.

Hey, I love toys too! Very Happy But I know that we got to somehow justify their existence especially for the little woman that's keeping an eye on the checkbook. Wink
enduro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 15 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My past is different from yours - I've spent many years with motorsports in general. ATV's, snowmobiles, race cars, etc. Over the years the ATV has become as much of a tool around the yard as a toy for the trails. Physical issues have limited my desire for the race cars and snowmobiles, but the ATV is still in my garage and I don't see it going anywhere in the future. I use it year round, both on the trails for fun (3000 miles a year or so) and around the yard including plowing my smaller driveway (100 ft long x 40 ft wide), several neighbors (including long gravel drives) and at our cabin.

I currently have a midsize Yamaha Grizzly 450 which is plenty for me. I'm not into the big horsepower, huge physical size machines, don't need the macho factor that many guys including several riding partners desire. This midsize machine handles everything that I ask it to do, and can maneuver around tighter areas than the monster machines can. I have several buddies that own the Polaris Sportsman model in various configurations including a new 570. Nice machine that's very capable of doing what it sounds like you're looking for. I know I'm contradicting myself here, but the midsize Sportsman 450 isn't nearly the machine that the fullsize 570 is. Just look close at the two machines, preferably sitting side by side, before making your decision. My point being that you don't really need to over do it on size to get the job done, but you do want to get a machine that's mechanically up to the task.

Don't know if you're interested or not, but at least consider the power steering version for plowing. It's not mandatory, but would be nice. The manufacturers have come a long way in technology for these systems and seem to have it figured out now. My next machine will have it.

I would also recommend the Warn brand ProVantage (not just the Vantage) version for a plow, regardless of what ATV you put it on. It's a very heavy duty system that's well worth the money long term.

Also, I personally wouldn't buy a used ATV unless I was SURE of it's past history, regardless of if it was at a dealer or not. There are plenty of creampuff used ATV's out there, but there are also some that look really clean but have in fact been submerged or worse. Seen it happen plenty of times where a guy will buy a new machine, take it out on a trip or two, sink or bury it to the point that the engine / differentials are full of gritty swamp water, then realize what they've done for the longevity of the machine and trade it in on another one. There's a significant percentage of the ATV crowd that will buy new on payments and trade every year regardless of what they've done to their machine during the current year. Just be aware.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12 15 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on buying used, possibly abused atv. DON'T. I have 2009
JD Gator that I have worked harder than it was designed for, between hunting, pulling a self powered bush hog ( home built 60" cut 22 hp.) grading 900 ' of limerock drive etc. It just won't quit
DesertPits
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12 15 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you what to get because I have all of the above plus Jeeps. I do have 5 acres and a ½ mile dirt road to the highway (for some reason everybody else thinks I should drag it) like you. The 2 best pieces of equipment I bought was a mid size 28 hp tractor with 4 foot bucket and 5 foot gannon, and a 12 foot dump trailer. You can always rent a Ditch Witch etc. but you will use the tractor all the time.
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12 15 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyin-lowe,

I don't have it any more, but I used to have a Polaris Sportsman 700 with EFI. I would suggest going bigger rather than smaller if you're plowing. I also second the thoughts on electric power steering.....I haven't looked at them in a while so don't know what Polaris offers, but I know Yamaha offers it. These bigger utility machines need it I think. If you have the budget, I say buy new, if not, be very picky and know the history and maintenance......Mine would have been considered a cream puff. Rode on trails a couple times, but mostly used to plow my small drive/alley and in the pits at the races.

Good Luck!
Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
flyin-lowe
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13 15 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great advise. I was surprised to see that the despite the name 450 HO, that machine has a 570 cc engine the same as the 570 machines. However it is build differently and only has 31 HP and the true 570 machines have 44 HP (I think). They make a 325 cc engine that is tuned more and gets 30 HP. The 325 and the 450 HO have similar HP but the 450 HP is supposed to have tons of toque. Anyway I still don't know why Polaris would make these three configurations. Oh well. I'm saving pennies and dimes right now, waiting on my tax check. Ill let you know what I come up with.
flyin-lowe
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16 16 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for an update.

I pulled the trigger this summer. After much research and shopping around I ended up getting a Polaris Sportsman 570, base model. I bought a 2016 right before the 2017 came out. They had a good rebate on them so that's what I went with. Plus I liked this color and it wasn't available in the 17. I got a winch installed and I also bought I plow recently. I have just under 20 hours on the machine and so far no complaints. I've only been out "trail riding" one time. The rest of the time is just using it around the house, hauling gravel, brush, etc.
I just completed my first service (oil/filter, front diff, rear end/tranny fluid) to get it ready for any plowing I might get to do this winter.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16 16 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats...the Polaris machines are great work horses. Mine plowed like a dream.
enduro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17 16 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Nice looking machine that should get the job done.
claricia48

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07 17 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maniac wrote:
flyin-lowe I just sold my Polaris 500...loved that machine plowed with it every winter for 10 years. never had to put a dime in it not even a battery . just full maintenance bought it new did not want something somebody beat up rachat de crédit. I put wings on my plow made out of peterbuilt mudflaps to get the job done faster Wink They worked great and did not have to worry about rubbing the stone retaining wall Embarassed

In addition this kind of machine is both robust and cheap so everyone is afraid to buy it and use it.
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08 17 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

claricia48 wrote:
Maniac wrote:
flyin-lowe I just sold my Polaris 500...loved that machine plowed with it every winter for 10 years. never had to put a dime in it not even a battery . just full maintenance bought it new did not want something somebody beat up rachat de crédit. I put wings on my plow made out of peterbuilt mudflaps to get the job done faster Wink They worked great and did not have to worry about rubbing the stone retaining wall Embarassed

In addition this kind of machine is both robust and cheap so everyone is afraid to buy it and use it.

Why did you add a link to Maniac's quote? I assume it is spam since it is you're first post.

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08 17 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtsara wrote:
Why did you add a link to Maniac's quote? I assume it is spam since it is you're first post.

SoEzzy has been notified Kurt.

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: