FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoked Butts to Refrigerator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tracy Adams

PostPosted: Thu May 25 17 12:40 am    Post subject: Smoked Butts to Refrigerator Reply with quote

My question:

After you smoked 150 or so Boston Butts what is the guide lines on when you can placed them in a walk-in refrigerator?

Example: you have 150 really to come off the smoker and it's 70-90 degrees outside. How long do they need to rest and then be placed in the walk-in refrigerator?

I know once they get to 135 degrees you have certain time to get a refrigerator.

Thanks!
Tracy
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 25 17 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got nothing. Unless I am wrong KC Boss is back.
Smoke Hollow #5
Lang 48 D
Acorn Komado
And a couple of Weber kettles
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu May 25 17 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Smoked Butts to Refrigerator Reply with quote

Tracy Adams wrote:
My question:

After you smoked 150 or so Boston Butts what is the guide lines on when you can placed them in a walk-in refrigerator?

Example: you have 150 really to come off the smoker and it's 70-90 degrees outside. How long do they need to rest and then be placed in the walk-in refrigerator?

I know once they get to 135 degrees you have certain time to get a refrigerator.

Thanks!
Tracy

You may want to ask this in the commercial BBQ section. The restaurant owners would be better equipped to answer this type of volume question.

Hybrid Cooker
HC_Smokehouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06 17 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That much heat coming from that much meat may ruin all your other food in the walk-in...there was a post I read on here years ago, where one of the members was a health inspector at one time (IIRC). He relayed he was checking a restaurant out and found a 5gallon bucket of chili cooling in the walkin...supposedly the bucket had been in there a few days, and was STILL in the 70's tempwise. They started checking the other food, and the heat from the chili had raised the temp of everything in the walkin...they had to throw it all out.

Your best bet, would probably be wrap them super tight in plasticwrap, and give them an ice bath until cool, then get them in the walk in.

If the food gets below 135F, you have to get it under 70-75 (off the top of my head) in 2 hours or less, and then under 41F in the next two hours...if you don't hit either threshhold, your supposed to reheat it to 165F to kill any bacteria/pathogens, and start cooling again.

Hope this helps.

HCS
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06 17 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to start cooling at 135*...then 2 hours from 135* to 70*...then 4 hours from 70* to 41*.

If you're refrigerating, why have all 150 butts come off at the same time? Doing a smaller number over a few days will simplify things alot. I WOULD NOT put that many buts in my walk-in at one time. Not just because I don't want to, but because it's not safe...unless you have some cavernous unit you're working with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: