FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips/Help needed cooking with Camp Chef 3 Burner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Flat Top & Griddle Grilling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chravis

PostPosted: Wed May 17 17 9:45 pm    Post subject: Tips/Help needed cooking with Camp Chef 3 Burner Reply with quote

Hello all! I'm new to the forum and look forward to some great help and advice from you fine folks. I recently made the switch from a regular gas grill to a Camp Chef 3 burner stove. I have a griddle that covers two of the burners. I've used it several times and the food turned out good, but not great. The problem I'm having, and hoping someone can provide some tips, is that the griddle gets sooo hot. I've got the burners so at pretty much the lowest setting I can get them at without the flame going out. The problem is that the food (say chicken or steak) is getting a tough, black layer on the outside before the inside is cooked through.
Does anyone have any suggestions for this issue? Or, what is your procedure from start to finish when using a Camp Chef stove? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 19 17 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It take some time to season any grill, the secret is to use good lard, shmeer a thin layer over the top of the grill, heat the grill on the burners, as the fat melts, wipe off the excess, and turn off the burners and let it cool down, repeat a couple of times.

If you have an oven large enough to do it in, lard it up, pop it in the oven at 250F, wipe off excess after 5 mins, allow rest to bake on for 10 mins, turn off oven and allow to cool, repeat a few times.

Now that your grill has some seasoning on it, use it to cook something on, (burgers work well), get the grill hot, put down a little oil or fat, put on the burgers once the grill and oil are hot, the burger should sizzle some, 30 - 45 seconds later, flip the burgers over, repeat on the other side, keep flipping every minute or two until they are cooked through to your taste, or to an internal temperature above 165F, (Health Dept), recommended temp for ground meat products.

As long as you keep the meat moving while it cooks, on a seasoned grill, you shouldn't get any tough black layer on the meat...unless you want it that way!

I still work here!
chravis

PostPosted: Fri May 19 17 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the response. It sounds like perhaps I got a little hasty and haven't seasoned the griddle enough. With that said, are there recommendations on lard or fat?

Also, assuming everything is seasoned, and I'm about to cook something and I'm heating up a little oil on it, should the oil start smoking or does that mean it's getting too hot?
chravis

PostPosted: Sat May 20 17 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question is what kind of rags do yall use for seasoning and wiping griddles? Many people say just use paper towels, but mine seem to leave lint on the griddle.
KMM

PostPosted: Sat May 20 17 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the surface is clean (no bits of burned carbonized burger, etc) and you are still getting "fuzz" with paper towels, it sounds like the surface may need some attention....don't feel bad, it is a very common problem with modern cast and even some steel cookware. Fortunately, with minimum expense and a lot of elbow grease is relatively easy to fix.
First use some oven cleaner to strip the cooking surface down to bare metal. Then hit the surface with good old aluminum oxide sandpaper (#80 or less to start). Once you have knocked down the high spots, thoroughly wipe surface clean and repeat the process with progressively higher grit numbers until you get to 400 wet/dry. Once you have achieved a nice smooth surface with mirror like feel, immediately reseason with your favorite oil. Once it is seasoned, release your inner line chef and make grilled magic to your hearts contentment. (Just remember to share occasional pics with the ring)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Flat Top & Griddle Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: