FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Second Day Brisket

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forkin Pork
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 18 17 9:32 am    Post subject: Second Day Brisket Reply with quote

This is the first time I have had to cook a brisket one day ahead of time
Pulling off at 195*
Wrapping in clear wrap and straight into the frig.
The next day I have two cooks so

So, with the brisket how should I reheat it?
And when should I slice it?

Thanks for your time
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06 17 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never done it for a competition but I would leave it wrapped and reheat it at 225 for 2 hours then rest for 15 to 20 unwrapped. Slice it up.
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07 17 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off...putting a 195* brisket directly in the fridge is not smart. Allow it to cool, unwrapped, until it hits 135*. Then wrap and put it in the fridge...preferably on a metal pan sithing directly on top of ice so that the ice is in contact with the pan at all times.

Reheating should be done wrapped in foil not plastic. I would reheat no lower than 300*. And you don't reheat by time. The internal temp has to reach 165* no matter how long that takes.

This post is in the catering section. If you are an inspected caterer you should know these things.

I would also ask that if anyone gives a recommendation that pertains to food safety, please have at least a basic knowledge of food safety.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09 17 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of refrigeration unit?

To get a piece of meat down to proper temps fast enough will almost require a blast cooler. You may be able to do it in a walk-in cooler if placed unwrapped directly in front of the fans.

if you took that brisket up to 195, I doubt you'll be able to slice it the next day without it falling apart.

I've done 2-day briskets, but only took them to 175, and placed them in a walk-in freezer to get the temps down for safe holding in the cooler.

The day I finished them, I would not wrap them I would place foil underneath and take them up to 185 before slice & serve

if you are now more careful with times & temps, you risk growing Perfringens bacteria, that may ruin your reputation real fast
cjschuckwagon
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17 17 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With pork shoulder i wrap in plastic, then ice bath until temp is safe. Wrap in foil over the plastic and retherm at 300 max until u to temp.

The plastic helps retain moisture and doesnt hurt anything, works great for pork....cj
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: