FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Equipment Recommendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt Jack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26 17 2:54 am    Post subject: New Equipment Recommendations Reply with quote

I am needing recommendations for an outdoor walk-in cooler/freezer combo. High efficiency very important. Who is the best?

Need a new 3ft flat top. Propane only or has anyone here used a new induction flat top by Garland? They are small, so would have to use two to have more than one temperature zone. These boys are pricey.

Also looking for recommendations for exhaust hood manufacturers. Will need 10-12ft, make up air, and Ansul. Hoping someone has a great experience with a hood that does what it is suppose to do. We currently have a problem with cold make-up air causing turbulence under the hood in winter. Does anyone use a newer Superior Hood?
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27 17 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, if you have money to burn and want convenience, I don't live in that world so I don't know anything about the newest and greatest. But I can tell you most restaurant equipment is pretty basic and I would stick with the companies who have been in it forever, like the Garlands, Wolfs etc. I've learned to fix just about everything. $125 dollar service call plus a inflated $40 part is not a good value for a $24 part. Just sayin. I do not buy new if possible / rarely (just bought 2 new blender sticks), because there are too many people who have and then go out of business because they aren't able to make the payments. I buy their equipment at local auctions, ebay and Craigslist mostly. For walk ins, I have bought the shells and put new refrigeration in them. Like new at a fraction of the cost. Pretty much any newer units do a great job. Hoods can be a bit trickier, make sure they have the manufacturer stickers on them and the info is legible. Even better find a matched set. Check with manufacturer to confirm the match. I pulled a set from a newer build out just to find out they weren't matched and the spec decal had been washed off. Get make up with a heater. I bought a restaurant / building last year with an existing kitchen and hood system. The hood was not balanced with the make up. Too much exhaust. Although it was nice never having any smoke in the kitchen, the negative pressure was pulling the carbon monoxide in from the furnace. Not good! I changed the pulley ratio and all is good. It may be cheaper just to fix the problems with what you already have. I have found it very expensive to start replacing things and find out that you were grandfathered in around new more expensive codes / regulations and may have to comply with up grades. Do your homework! Good luck
Capt Jack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28 17 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No money to burn here. I have done exactly what you do when we set up our current space. Best feeling ever to own everything. Everything came from an auction, Craigslist, or Ebay. I became an expert at LTL shipping buying and selling to fund our equipment. DIY is the only way to go if you own a mom and pop. It will save many thousands. We need to expand, and are considering leasing (1-2yrs) the walk in now and moving to new construction about 100 yards away in a year or so because we have run out of space. I do not have time now that I am operating to do the buying and shipping thing anymore to fund this expansion. I still might still do what you suggest with a walk in, but it would deplete my cash a little more than I want.

I am just wondering if there are manufacturers that build a better walk in panel over another.

I am not too keen on a used hood for the reasons you stated. And performance of hoods seems to vary so much. Our current one is too small. I probably will not move it, but sell it. I like what I see in Superior Hood design. Hoping someone can give some first hand knowledge. I am expecting the hood to be a part of the landlord's responsibility in the new place, just need to find what we want. And as far as heat, I am near the ocean in the south, so we need it only a month or so out of the winter. What is your fuel source for your heated make up air? Conditioning it with a/c would be first for me I think.

I respect your experience for sure. You have been in this business al lot longer than I have. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: