FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summertime sales

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pennell17

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12 16 10:58 pm    Post subject: Summertime sales Reply with quote

As far as street vending goes. Does the summer season affect your sales ? I opened at the beginning of April this year with better then anticipated sales. After the 1st week of June our weekend sales have slowly dropped to about 50%. We still have our regular customers that love the food and some catering jobs. So hopefully the product is not the problem. Could it be the heat or the fact that people are busier in the summer and have somewhere else to go ? We're set up at an intersection in a rural area where you would have to drive to us. Any and all input is appreciated.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15 16 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also see a slowdown with the heat! Vacations bring a few less regulars, but more out of towners...but overall a few less in general.
I wouldnt worry too much! Once the parents are accustomed to the kids being back to school, they will return!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Ken in Maine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16 16 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've seen the same thing here in Maine this year. We started the 3rd week of March doing roadside and had our best day ever with consistent sale until the weather got warmer... Sales dropped in half and has stayed that way for the past few months. We're hoping after Labor Day it will improve.

We are also planning on doing Saturdays over the winter months with a slightly different menu. Of course here in Maine it can get 20 below but it's all part of life.
Ken in Maine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24 16 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on this thread. As the weather has gotten cooler here in Maine we have noticed a 75% increase in sales. The perfect day seems to be right in the mid 50's. The biggest draw back is wind and rain. We operate outside with just a 10X10 foot canopy so the elements can mean losing a day due to bad weather but it seems to even out.

Right now we are busy smoking pork, brisket and chicken to stock up for the real cold weather. When the temperature gets down around 32 degrees it takes a lot of wood to keep the cooker at 275/300 degrees so we are pre-cooking and freezing. Been averaging 24 butts, 40 pounds of chicken thighs and 6 brisket a week through the smoker to stock up the freezer. Will continue for a couple more weeks. Plan on having sales of 24 butts per month through the winter.
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26 16 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken in Maine wrote:
Just an update on this thread. As the weather has gotten cooler here in Maine we have noticed a 75% increase in sales. The perfect day seems to be right in the mid 50's. The biggest draw back is wind and rain. We operate outside with just a 10X10 foot canopy so the elements can mean losing a day due to bad weather but it seems to even out.

Right now we are busy smoking pork, brisket and chicken to stock up for the real cold weather. When the temperature gets down around 32 degrees it takes a lot of wood to keep the cooker at 275/300 degrees so we are pre-cooking and freezing. Been averaging 24 butts, 40 pounds of chicken thighs and 6 brisket a week through the smoker to stock up the freezer. Will continue for a couple more weeks. Plan on having sales of 24 butts per month through the winter.

We think it is much better to serve fresh food. Not sure if we could legally smoke now and freeze to use another time.

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
Ken in Maine

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27 16 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would that be illegal. Just about every restaurant deals with frozen items. It takes 10 hours to smoke a pork butt... how would you do that to serve "fresh"?
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27 16 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken in Maine wrote:
It takes 10 hours to smoke a pork butt... how would you do that to serve "fresh"?

We start the meat about 14-16 hours before we sell.

We don't rent a kitchen and only have our vending trailer with fridge and freezer.

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27 16 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at some off road mud run last year a couple hours away and there was a guy with a vending trailer with a southern pride on it, I went and bought a sandwich and while paying I asked the guy why I couldn't smell the smoker, was the wind blowing the other way, he says "I smoked all this last weekend and reheated it today"

We don't do that, we smoke fresh for the event.

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
Ken in Maine

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27 16 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess each to his own... we've been doing it this way for three years and do a grand a weekend so we must be doing something right.

We also operate out of our own state licensed commercial kitchen and are inspected on a regular basis.
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30 16 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken in Maine wrote:
I guess each to his own... we've been doing it this way for three years and do a grand a weekend so we must be doing something right.

We also operate out of our own state licensed commercial kitchen and are inspected on a regular basis.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the way you're doing it, it's just we like to smoke it fresh and serve it fresh not reheated.

With our two CTO's running we do $3000.00-$5000.00 a weekend

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
Ken in Maine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30 16 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said... "to each his own"...
cjschuckwagon
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23 17 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned how to freeze whole cooked shoulders from this website.
Its easy and you really cant tell the difference when you do it right.
I used to do it when my little stick burner couldnt keep up with the event.
You simply wrap the butt right from the smoker in plastic wrap a bunch of times....really waste the wrap.
then ice bath and freeze.
Before the event thaw ,Wrap in heavy foil then retherm completely wrapped,on smoker takes a couple hours...when up to 140 they pull like they are fresh.....just sayin....cj
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: