FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone have a Water Softener?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Ron
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12 09 9:59 am    Post subject: Anyone have a Water Softener? Reply with quote

I just moved into a new home and it has a water softener. No instruction book and I have never dealt with one before. Can anyone take a few photos of how much salt I am supposed to have in there? Any help regarding the maintnence of this will be greatly appriciated.
Thanks!
www.bigronswebsite.com

(Find Big Ron's Rub on Facebook)
Big Ron's Custom Reverse Flow Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxbfOx_MOE
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12 09 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fill the salt hopper to the top, set the timer for when you want it to cycle and backwash and see how it works for you. Maybe a service call to the sticker on it may get you knowing if it is any good or just a waste of salt and electricity. the tanks have a finite life.
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12 09 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also if you are drinking and cooking with the water make sure you have a faucet that does not run through the softener. Drinking salt water is bad, especially if on a salt restricted diet.

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
FairWeatherSmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12 09 9:57 pm    Post subject: Automatic Reply with quote

The one I have determines when to regen by keeping track of how many gallons have been used. Inside the salt tank is a gauge showing the salt level. I keep mine at the mid level and it indicates when salt is low. I have had mine for 8 years with no service required. It is a sears brand. When I add salt, I have to reset the salt level indicator.

When the unit is regenerating, the hot water cannot be used. Mine is set to regen about noon. It takes close to 3 hours to complete cycle. Mine makes lots of noises while regenning.

You need to take a water sample to a softener dealer and get a check on how hard your water is in order to know how much softening to do.

Salt comes in mostly 40# bags available most anywhere if you live in an area that has hard water.

Try finding the mfg website for your unit. There is probably a manual online.
Toga
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13 09 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most hoppers have a fill line in them. Mine is about 1/3 of the way from the top of the hopper. My hopper takes about 120lbs to fill it and I'm good for a few months.

If you have no manual you should be able to obtain one one from the company or even find an online manual.You will want a manual.

You will want to make shure the softener is working and properly adjusted. If you know nothing about softeners most softner places will test the unit and test the water harness for a $40 or less visit in most areas. They will also adjust the harness for you. This is well worth the price of admission. A properly adjusted softener make the difference between salty water and drinkable water.

Before you fill the salt again after everything is set up properly and it has been tested for functionality. let the salt hopper go till completely empty. Then fill it half way with hot water, swish it around with a brush to get the goopy film out of the hopper, and start a regen cycle. This will flush the gook left by the salt in both the hopper tank. The white film is is the binder used to make the pellets and what kills the life of the brine tank. This should be done every 3-6 months depending on how much salt you put through the sytem and will dramatically increase the life of your brine tank.

UDS
ECB x2
Gasser
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13 09 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toga wrote:
A properly adjusted softener make the difference between salty water and drinkable water.

Regardless of how salty the water coming out of the softener is, it’s still salt water that you should not drink. Especially if you are on a salt restricted diet. Salt water by any other name is still salt water.

broncosmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14 09 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy good quality salt as well. Call around to some places that sell softeners in your area and find out what they would recommend. Cheaper salts bave a higher chemical base in them and dissolve quicker and will shorten the life of the softener. Many times you can find suppliers that deliver in bulk (more for commercial use) and they can tell you the difference in salts. There is also a difference in sizes that can make a difference, depending on what the solubility of the product is. Call the manufacturer and find out what they recommend. I am assuming that being a home this softeneris a one tank and not a two tank softener. If it is a two tank, salt choices are different to prevent mushing in the tanks, but are a alot easier to clean when needed (which most people do not do unfortunately).
Toga
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14 09 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teleking wrote:
Toga wrote:
A properly adjusted softener make the difference between salty water and drinkable water.

Regardless of how salty the water coming out of the softener is, it’s still salt water that you should not drink. Especially if you are on a salt restricted diet. Salt water by any other name is still salt water.

teleking you are correct. If you are on a salt restricted diet you will want to have a good filter set up or a reverse osmosis set up on the facuet you will draw drinking water from or buy bottled water for drinking. I have a filter set up on a seperate faucet in the kitchen that filters out the salt and anything that was missed quite well.

UDS
ECB x2
Gasser
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14 09 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toga wrote:
teleking you are correct. If you are on a salt restricted diet you will want to have a good filter set up or a reverse osmosis set up on the facuet you will draw drinking water from or buy bottled water for drinking. I have a filter set up on a seperate faucet in the kitchen that filters out the salt and anything that was missed quite well.

I lived with my Aunt and Uncle in SD building houses for a few summers in college. They had a separate tap in the kitchen that was piped prior to the softener (no filter).

What I can’t stand is showering in softened water. It leaves a slippery film, kinda like the soap never wash’s off. Blahhh, very weird. Everybody thought I was nuts cause that was all they know.

Big Ron
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14 09 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the info. I knew I was in good hands. Looks like I have quite a bit of research to so this weekend.
www.bigronswebsite.com

(Find Big Ron's Rub on Facebook)
Big Ron's Custom Reverse Flow Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxbfOx_MOE
broncosmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14 09 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to watch salt, you can always go to potassium chloride tablets instead of sodium. You have to watch that though if you have kidney/livers problems. Potassium is nice because it recharges media better and helps the softeners. I know several that run sodium with a mix that has potassium in it to extend media life. Last job I had to rebuild our large softeners and made some update changes including salt and we lowered our TDH immensely. Went from using 900#'s salt a week to 500 on a higher volume of water.
SierraScott
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14 09 12:49 pm    Post subject: Water softeners DO NOT give you salt water! Reply with quote

Water softeners DO NOT give you salt water! I used to sell them for a living. They do not put salt in the water, they add a number of parts per million of sodium in the water in exchange for an equal amount of parts per million of calcium that is in the hard water. It uses sodium salt to flush over the beads inside of the fiberglass bottle inside the unit. When the softener cycles, it fills water into the rock salt and saturates the water then flushes the salt water over the beads in the inner tank. the beads have a static charge to them and grab ionized sodium from the salt water as it passes thru. once the beads are charged with sodium ions the tank flushes out. You turn on your faucet and hard water coming into your house goes into the softener and passes over the sodium charged beads. the beads like calcium more than sodium, so the calcium ions cling to the beads and cause them to release the sodium into the water, thus giving you soft water. Sodium in the water above 4 ppm will kill your house plants and your lawn. Most houses have the outside spigots off the softener. If you have a low tolerance for sodium or high blood pressure and you are runnig a softener, talk to your retailer about an RO filter or drink bottled water. If you go for RO get one that filters 1/10,000 of a micron or less. at that rate the only thing that will pass thru it are H2O and Nitrogen.
You will not turn on your faucet and get salt water. It will not be briny. You will not taste it. If you do, call a repairman. Calcium tends to make water taste stale and can impart a dirty smell to your water. It also wears out your clothes faster and makes you use more soap than normal. The small cost to run the softener is worth it.

A little chemistry lesson

SODIUM IS NOT SALT. It's not the same thing as salt, it's an element. An alkali metal to be exact. You get salt from mixing an alkali ion with a halogen like fluorine and chlorine. Ice Cream salt and drive way salt are calcium chloride. Calcium fluoride is a salt that will kill you. Potassium chloride is used by Morton Salt as a "salt substitute". What they really mean is that it is a Sodium Salt substitute.

Hope that helps!

Custom Built Upright Smoker
Weber One Touch Silver 22.5"
CharBroil Silver Smoker
Bella_Jeri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20 17 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am planning to add a water softener to my home since we have hard water problems. I plan to also run a separate line off the softener so I can wash my cars.

I am also planning on buying a electromagnetic water softener which my plumber recommends. This will allow it to be run through the entire house and be used for cooking, ice cubes and drinking.

Have any of you had any experience with this kind of softener instead of the typical salt based systems.

Thanks!
BurnBern
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20 17 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Water softeners DO NOT give you salt water! Reply with quote

SierraScott wrote:
Water softeners DO NOT give you salt water! I used to sell them for a living. They do not put salt in the water, they add a number of parts per million of sodium in the water in exchange for an equal amount of parts per million of calcium that is in the hard water. It uses sodium salt to flush over the beads inside of the fiberglass bottle inside the unit. When the softener cycles, it fills water into the rock salt and saturates the water then flushes the salt water over the beads in the inner tank. the beads have a static charge to them and grab ionized sodium from the salt water as it passes thru. once the beads are charged with sodium ions the tank flushes out. You turn on your faucet and hard water coming into your house goes into the softener and passes over the sodium charged beads. the beads like calcium more than sodium, so the calcium ions cling to the beads and cause them to release the sodium into the water, thus giving you soft water. Sodium in the water above 4 ppm will kill your house plants and your lawn. Most houses have the outside spigots off the softener. If you have a low tolerance for sodium or high blood pressure and you are runnig a softener, talk to your retailer about an RO filter or drink bottled water. If you go for RO get one that filters 1/10,000 of a micron or less. at that rate the only thing that will pass thru it are H2O and Nitrogen.
You will not turn on your faucet and get salt water. It will not be briny. You will not taste it. If you do, call a repairman. Calcium tends to make water taste stale and can impart a dirty smell to your water. It also wears out your clothes faster and makes you use more soap than normal. The small cost to run the softener is worth it.

A little chemistry lesson

SODIUM IS NOT SALT. It's not the same thing as salt, it's an element. An alkali metal to be exact. You get salt from mixing an alkali ion with a halogen like fluorine and chlorine. Ice Cream salt and drive way salt are calcium chloride. Calcium fluoride is a salt that will kill you. Potassium chloride is used by Morton Salt as a "salt substitute". What they really mean is that it is a Sodium Salt substitute.

Hope that helps!

Thank you very informative. I to have a water softener and I have a separate tap on the kitchen counter top and rarely use it. I use the soft water for everything in the house including drink. It been 8 years now and no problems. Thanks again Very Happy
flyin-lowe
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 02 17 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you on a well or city water? Reason I ask is the water quality can be pretty low on a well. The last house I lived in from 2001 to 2012 had quite a bit of sediment in the water. We tried pre filters but they would clog up in about 4-6 weeks and pressure would start to drop. So we had to depend on the water softener to "filter" our water. (we did not drink that water). Needless to say about every year and a half to two years the water softener would be shot. Good thing it was a rental (that is the point of my response). It cost us $16.00 a month but was worth it because we had to have it replaced either 4 or 5 times because it would get completely packed with sediment and stop working. I typically never rent things like this but for me it paid off in that situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: