FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Royal oak taste like lighter fluid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fish&q
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04 17 9:19 am    Post subject: Royal oak taste like lighter fluid Reply with quote

I cooked a brisket on my uds today using Royal Oak lump and it tasted like I used lighter fluid any one else have that problem
500 Hog cooker
Juice can
brutus1964
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04 17 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally use Kingsford but I have used Royal Oak Lump and had good results with it.I have had that problem with Hickory when I first cooked on my rotisserie cooker. I didn't allow my coal base to get fully ignited and I didn't have my intake and exhaust set just right and my wood was smoldering. Was your coal base fully lit and burning clean? If a coal base isn't burning clean and hot it can create some bad tastes by smoldering and allowing the air to stall in the CC without flowing out the exhaust.
If you didn't use lighter fluid, I think the issue would be with how clean the fire was burning unless there was another issue with contamination of the charcoal (or the brisket) prior to you getting it.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
fish&q
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07 17 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only use a weed burner to light the charcoal so that's not the problem. The uds is new to me so I know there is a learning curve next time I'll open the top vent a little more and maybe wait longer to put the meat on an see what happens
500 Hog cooker
Juice can
brutus1964
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07 17 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always leave your top vent (exhaust) open. If the exhaust vent isn't open it will not allow the air to move out and it will stall and stay in the cooker. This is very similar to coals that aren't hot enough to burn clean. Make your temp adjustments by opening and closing the intake vents. If you find your cooker running too hot you can also start with a smaller fire.
The key to it is to have the cooker running with a very thin blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. On a UDS I would fill the charcoal basket with the lump and then pour about half a chimney full of fully lit lump on top and then make adjustments to the intake vents as the temp starts raising up to the desired temp.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
fish&q
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07 17 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My uds is a little different than most it only has one small opening and it is controlled by a guru type device. I was told to not leave the fully open when I got it but I am going to try that. My FEC sure is a lot easier to cook on but I still like my stick burner the best
500 Hog cooker
Juice can
apn73

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08 17 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I grilled up a couple steaks last week for the family and I noticed a bit of a petroleum flavor in the Royal Oak lump that I was using. That definitely struck me as odd. I sure do miss Frontier! That sure was good lump charcoal, too bad Royal Oak bought them out and then did away with the brand all together. Obviously Royal Oak saw them as a threat to their market share.
Simple UDS - love this thing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: