FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how much does slather effect the taste of brisket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BriGreentea
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28 17 5:20 am    Post subject: how much does slather effect the taste of brisket Reply with quote

I've tried no slather, mustard, spicy mustard, syrup (epic fail) and olive oil (never using again!)

After my marinade injection (yes, I always marinade with something I'm not a just a salt an pepper guy) I tried bbq sauce as the slather. I heard it works, just never tried. I then put my rub on top of it but didn't rub it in...smoked fat side down and got an amazing bark but wondering if the good bbq sauce I bought is worth putting it on it.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31 17 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a big fan of a "Glazed brisket" because of the sweetness it puts on the brisket. So my opinion is save the sauce dipping after its cooked if you want.
After you inject just wet the brisket down with the left over injection and apply the rub.

Hybrid Cooker
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01 17 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care for mustard slather. Some people say you can't taste it, but I think I can. Must be me Confused ..........What I like to do, is use straight vegetable cooking oil to get it a little wet then add my rub. Some spices are oil soluble and this helps get that flavor unlocked. I find no off taste using veg. oil.

Good Luck,
Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
SmokeHound
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26 17 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: how much does slather effect the taste of brisket Reply with quote

BriGreentea wrote:
I've tried no slather, mustard, spicy mustard, syrup (epic fail) and olive oil (never using again!)

After my marinade injection (yes, I always marinade with something I'm not a just a salt an pepper guy) I tried bbq sauce as the slather. I heard it works, just never tried. I then put my rub on top of it but didn't rub it in...smoked fat side down and got an amazing bark but wondering if the good bbq sauce I bought is worth putting it on it.

I think this is a personal preference. If you can taste it and don't like it, don't do it. Vice versa.

I've tried slathering w/ mustard, BBQ sauce, EVOO, garlic oil, soy sauce, and a variety of other slathery-type sauces. With rub and without. With brown sugar and without. . . maple syrup, agave, honey, various oils, blah blah blah. I've enjoyed the experiments (learned a lot) and have come to my own personal preference: K.I.S.S.

I don't like slathers for long marinating or for long cooks. IMO, they're a waste of time and slather (did so many "side by sides" and we weren't really impressed by slathers or sauces).

I like a simple, salt-free and sugar-free rub - mine is a bit on the peppery side for briskets. I let it marinate overnight (min 12 hours - up to 36 hours). Add S&P the day of the cook - I let it sit out for an hour before throwing it on the smoker. Personally, I think a nice long rest (covered and placed in a cooler) gives outstanding results - every time. I save the drippings and toss that back over the sliced brisket... (gawwwd I love a good brisket!)

The advice I got on here years ago was "spot on": play around with it and find out what YOU and your family prefer. And have fun!

New Braunfels stick burner
Weber-Smokey Joe
TBD-wishlist

~~~ and a big fat LIAR, too! ~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: