FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

it looks like I have a qualified buyer.............

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04 16 2:58 am    Post subject: it looks like I have a qualified buyer............. Reply with quote

so, what should I do for the next decade or so?

My 2017 summer plans will start with riding the "Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge" (look it up) Then there is the Sturgis Rally, the Maggie Valley FXR jam, FXR's of california round-up
Maybe Nashville Bike Week, Biketoberfest, Daytona bike week.

Maybe I'll even get to meet some of you guys at your places while I am tearing around the country.....
Mike Lawry
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04 16 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im no biker but Sturgis has to happen for you.

http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/hotel-impossible/episodes/full-throttle-in-sturgis
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04 16 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats...and enjoy Exclamation
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05 16 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Lawry wrote:

http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/hotel-impossible/episodes/full-throttle-in-sturgis

Ive ridden to Sturgis the last 2 years, rode mine out, didn't trailer it.
Just shy of 900 miles each way, slept in a tent while there, and rode the bike back home. first trip was 19 hours, 2nd was 17, I hope tp get it under 15 hours in 2017
I ride a 1984 (late 84) Harley FXRS
YardFullOfOak
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08 16 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: it looks like I have a qualified buyer............. Reply with quote

Congratulations!

Are you still planning on law school?
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10 16 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: it looks like I have a qualified buyer............. Reply with quote

YardFullOfOak wrote:
Congratulations!

Are you still planning on law school?

I'd love to do it, but don;t want to blow retirement account on it.
I'll see what is available for old farts for student loans
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12 16 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
Mike Lawry wrote:

Ive ridden to Sturgis the last 2 years, rode mine out, didn't trailer it.
Just shy of 900 miles each way, slept in a tent while there, and rode the bike back home. first trip was 19 hours, 2nd was 17, I hope tp get it under 15 hours in 2017
I ride a 1984 (late 84) Harley FXRS

Been to Sturgis 3 different times, rode each time. Bought the 2001 Goldwing new in July of 2001, sold it in July of 2012 with 121,000 miles on it, not bad considering I don't ride it to work.

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
YardFullOfOak
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16 16 6:21 pm    Post subject: You are keeping us in suspense, Harry Reply with quote

Did the buyer follow through?

Will you spend the next 4 years on your motorcycle or at law school?
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19 16 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: You are keeping us in suspense, Harry Reply with quote

YardFullOfOak wrote:
Did the buyer follow through?

Will you spend the next 4 years on your motorcycle or at law school?

Neither, it looks like I am starting a towing biz.
No employees (yet) I work the hours I want to work, and if I want to take a week or so for a Sturgis trip, I just go and do it.
Pork-O-Rican

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15 17 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry

well first i want to say congrats and good luck on your new adventures. i have read the forms for a few years and have enjoyed your post every much. You and Tony have given great advice to many about the things that makes the business of BBQ all that it is. Yes i open my own place to the public this past year and I am living the dream ( or night mare ). I can say with out question you and tony have help me steer clear of some of the mistake that can happen. Good luck God bless and if you come to Jupiter Florida ever come get a sandwich on me Burnt Offering BBQ CO
Camper Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15 17 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. Great news in a year that so far, for me has been very disappointing. I also am selling my business, not food related, and am awaiting to finalize it at the end of this week. We purchased a new travel trailer in Sept. and plan a lot of trips in the coming years. Best of luck, I know you had a rough patch with keeping employees, but now that is someone else's concern. All the best.
LEM #5 Meat Grinder
LEM 5# Vertical Sausage Stuffer
Cookshack Model SM025 Electric Smoker
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06 17 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its been 1 month since the sale,
people who know me say they've never seen me smile so much. So take that however you want, I'm just glad all my debt is zeroed, my private financier made a nice profit by taking a chance on me, and I was able to pocket a sizable chunk of coin for myself over the years, and from the sale.

I knew what I was getting into when I decided to open a restaurant, I was an industry professional while going through school in the 80's.
what I was not ready for was the level of incompetence of the local labor force. The rampant drug use and alcohol addiction, the entitlement mentality, the complete lack of even the most basic of life skills.

My dishwashers didn't make less than $14.50/hour, my lead cook was near $30/hour due to our profit-sharing program.

I do not care if the new owners run the business into the ground, or if they become wildly successful with a nationwide franchise network. I am just glad I am no longer forced to babysit these childish adults anymore. I left them a thriving business to work with, what they do with it is solely on them

what was my biggest mistake?
getting too big to be able to handle everything by myself,

The stresses of continually reminding employees of proper food handling and sanitation rules. Every person who handled food or stocked my shelves was enrolled in a food handling and sanitation course. It was a waste of money on my part because they did not retain the information, or they did not care.

I got sick of sending people home because they would show up drunk or high, then getting phone calls at 3:00 AM with them "Telling Me" that I need to bail them out of jail.

So, my goal is to have a very profitable towing business, I hope to have a rotator within 36 months for the real heavy work.

when it gets to the point of me hiring drivers, no driver will be under 45 years old, and they will have successfully completed a tow-truck training course before they get to run a truck solo.
I've given up on the millennials, they are beyond redemption.

Good luck peoples, I am still here to offer some help if asked. Tony & Buzz know how to contact me.

If you plan to ask my opinion on if you should open a restaurant, I think you already know my answer. It is hard work, it will break up your marriage, and test your sanity.
Camper Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06 17 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm delighted to hear that you are away from your restaurant. I have to agree with you that the so called "millennials" feel entitled to the highest wage for the area, regardless of their experience. I just threw in the towel on my business after trying to hire a driver for my van. At one time last year I hired and fired 6 drivers within a 3 week period. While consulting with other business owners, the consensus is all the same. They don't want to work, but insist on high wages. I am hoping that your new endeavor works well for you. Your thought of hiring no one under the age of 45 in this day and age seems to make a lot of sense. I was able to sell my non-food business and I am as happy as is said in certain parts of the country, "Happy as a pig in slop." Keep that smile on your face and keep your work ethic and find others who share your ethic. I believe I am a bit older than you but I worry for my son's who will have to live with what is occurring now. In any event, best of luck and don't be a stranger.
LEM #5 Meat Grinder
LEM 5# Vertical Sausage Stuffer
Cookshack Model SM025 Electric Smoker
FreebirdTPark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07 17 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Harry. Have vociferously read your posts the last year and a half. You have definitely been a wealth of information. Thanks!
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08 17 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, I wanted to thank you publicly, here, for all the help you have been to me over the years!With out question - without meeting you here, I wold not be in the position I am today - and I thank you!
Congrats on selling!!
My trailer is ALWAYS open to you my friend!
Dont leave these guy's hangin'...I dont fit in your shoes Brother!
Tony
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21 17 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
Harry, I wanted to thank you publicly, here, for all the help you have been to me over the years!With out question - without meeting you here, I wold not be in the position I am today - and I thank you!
Congrats on selling!!
My trailer is ALWAYS open to you my friend!
Dont leave these guy's hangin'...I dont fit in your shoes Brother!
Tony

We've met in person twice, both times the temperatures were below freezing .
Maybe we should try to meet up in summer?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: