FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Small RF build?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kw77

PostPosted: Jan 26 2017    Post subject: Small RF build? Reply with quote

Hello new here ! I have been trying to build my first rf smoker and having a little trouble. My smoker is small I do know but just wanted to try it out just to se if I could do it and if I would like it much. I usually smoke in an upright propane smoker. My tank is an old gas hot water tank 18x40 including the dome ends . First question is 1. On the calculation from Felton's calc a 16x16x16 FB would still be to large or would that be effective. I was thinking of lining with fire brick and useing 1/8" steel to save on some weight.
2. The opening is suspose to be 6.46 or 9.13 opening to cc. On the 9.13 is that total height or side to side not including the dam. like an eyeball ? To save in height could I put three 2 1/4 holes in? I do know that I am limited in space hence the reasoning behind larger tank smokers. But again I don't know if I even will like it. I hope some one here has Ben there and done that lol an can give some good guidence
With a 4" stack It calls for 16" tall can some one explain why the fire box to cc needs to be 6.46 or 9.13 when the fire box air needs to be 4" as well that gives me .98.
In my mind it doesn't make sense
GreenSmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Jan 30 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2 cents...1/4 inch or bigger steel...skip the brick...easier to clean and just less ugh over all...nope on multiple holes...is the tank coated or galvanized...if so...nope...as to the feldon info..it is accurate...good luck...

Homemade Offset 30 x 30
UDS
Rocket Stove
Liar #92 or is that my age or my IQ or my shoe size or the sum total for all of them?
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Jan 30 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That opening is supposed to be 32.77 square inches: the numbers you mentioned is just diameters of various configuration of the holes: three 2-1/4" round holes is 10.79 square inches. In other words, No. Look in the welding section, there's some stickies with other calculators that really worked better for me as far as real-world applying the Feldon numbers to the actual smoker..

Secondly, I'm building a 20" smoker right now, I've got a build thread going: No matter how I mercilessly beat the numbers on that, I couldn't really find a set of numbers that I was really happy with for a reverse flow pit: either not enough space under the RF plate to have enough airflow, or that plate was too close to the grate.. I'm sure it can be done, but keep that in mind.. That problem would be exacerbated with an 18" CC.

I agree with GreenSmoker: 1/8" steel in a firebox is pretty light. Mine's 3/8", and it wouldn't have hurt my feelings to do it out of 1/2" if I wouldn't have had weight distribution issues on the trailer. A lot of people would disagree, but I'll live with a little more wood to bring it to temp in exchange for extending the life of the firebox... I just hate burn-through, almost as much as grumpy cats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: