FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Competiton

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BorderCop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11 17 8:49 am    Post subject: First Competiton Reply with quote

My wife and a few friends have seemingly talked me into entering a the first local BBQ competition in our town. While doing some research I started seeing how a lot of competition cooks are layering their rubs. I'm curious to know if anyone here uses this technique, and if so, what are the benefits. Additionally, is there any preferred method for layering?

Thanks in advance
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12 17 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the correct rub combination it works really well and yes we layer our rubs. The key is to get a base, intermediate and top that pare well with each other but bring a certain flavor of their own When the judge takes a bite you want that first flavor then work into another. There are a lot of different techniques that work on when to add finding what works best for you is the fun part. We do a two part up front and a third at the wrap.

Hybrid Cooker
BorderCop

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12 17 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
With the correct rub combination it works really well and yes we layer our rubs. The key is to get a base, intermediate and top that pare well with each other but bring a certain flavor of their own When the judge takes a bite you want that first flavor then work into another. There are a lot of different techniques that work on when to add finding what works best for you is the fun part. We do a two part up front and a third at the wrap.

Thanks, k.a.m. I'm planning on firing up the smoker this weekend so I'll probably try some different combinations then.

One last question, do you do it just for ribs or everything?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12 17 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We layer our brisket too.

Hybrid Cooker
sanch10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13 17 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: First Competiton Reply with quote

BorderCop wrote:
My wife and a few friends have seemingly talked me into entering a the first local BBQ competition in our town. While doing some research I started seeing how a lot of competition cooks are layering their rubs. I'm curious to know if anyone here uses this technique, and if so, what are the benefits. Additionally, is there any preferred method for layering?

Thanks in advance

After a lot of experimentation I now use four rubs and layer them, but I started with one. The benefit is getting the different flavor profiles throughout the chew. As far as preferred method I go light with each. The best thing I can tell you as a rookie last year (12 comps), is learn to cook the meat first then play with the flavors. Make small adjustments and take notes on everything you do. You need to be able to replicate your cooks time after time. I am not sure if we are allow to post links in this forum, but we chronicled our first year of competition on our website www.radfondobbq.com. You may find some tips from our pitfalls that will help you avoid the blunders we made in 2016.

Good luck at your competitions!

Scott
BorderCop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13 17 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: First Competiton Reply with quote

Quote:

After a lot of experimentation I now use four rubs and layer them, but I started with one. The benefit is getting the different flavor profiles throughout the chew. As far as preferred method I go light with each. The best thing I can tell you as a rookie last year (12 comps), is learn to cook the meat first then play with the flavors. Make small adjustments and take notes on everything you do. You need to be able to replicate your cooks time after time. I am not sure if we are allow to post links in this forum, but we chronicled our first year of competition on our website www.radfondobbq.com. You may find some tips from our pitfalls that will help you avoid the blunders we made in 2016.

Scott

Awesome! Thanks Scott, I'll take a look.

Looks like you guys are in CA; are you going to be at the Newport Beach Comp on the 28th? I'm headed out there as a spectator looking to chat and some advice.
sanch10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13 17 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: First Competiton Reply with quote

BorderCop wrote:
Quote:

Scott

Awesome! Thanks Scott, I'll take a look.

Looks like you guys are in CA; are you going to be at the Newport Beach Comp on the 28th? I'm headed out there as a spectator looking to chat and some advice.

Yes we will be at Newport, hoping for GP4 then off to Reno for the Sam's club regional. That will be a haul, but should be fun. Come by and visit us, look for the blue Shimano pop up tents.
BorderCop

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14 17 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: First Competiton Reply with quote

Will do. Thanks again.

Sam
sanch10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14 17 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: First Competiton Reply with quote

BorderCop wrote:
Will do. Thanks again.

Sam

By the way we are doing a ticket giveaway for the competition in the next few days, so make sure you check back at the site to enter, it may save you a few bucks ($10) on entry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: