FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weight issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01 16 11:25 am    Post subject: Weight issues Reply with quote

Did our biggest [historical ] 3 day gig of the season this weekend [ just got home ]
Last time we went there [ 2 years ago due to scheduling conflicts ] they made me look foolish by making me sell out by 6pm 2 days in a row....I swore I would never let THAT happen again!! [ gig ran until 11 pm!!!! ]
I figgered and ciphered last couple years numbers, added in that the gig grows bigger every year, and ran up a grocery bill higher than EVER for a weekend gig....Loaded up the cube van, trailer, pick-up [Wife pulled additional smoker ] , and made sure my regular supplier had more in stock if needed [ they have a store close to gig]
THOUGHT I had her loaded nicely / properly.....There I go thinking again....Heading through Milwaukee, up hill on snaky freeway overpasses, exhaust manifold bolts pop of [ just a couple Wink ] making her sound like I was running open headers....losing power immediately but still barely being able to hold 65mph down hill.... Get well S. of the big city and scales are open...... Shocked Shocked Truck was sooo loud I figured even if they weren't watching, the noise would have made them look....ONLY 3040lbs OVER licensed weight Embarassed Confused Sad
Officer was cool, cited me for improper registration instead of per pound over!! Still took selling an extra 25 sammies [ gross] to cover cost of citation Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
As I walked out, his supervisor was returning from checking someone else...I say to him " can you believe they wouldnt let me pay the fine in brisket???"...To which he replies " you asked the wrong person!"....LOL!!
I fully support our men and women in blue, just would have preferred supporting them with a few pounds of meat!!!..NOT 3040#, but enough for a few nice sammiches!!..LOL [ or the scale was closed Wink ]
On a good note, I am confident truck / trailer was well under weight for the return trip!!!
Just hope I can get truck fixed tomorrow, or I will have a few days off street vending [ NOT going to pull mounted genset etc. ] Confused Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
waywardtravel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02 16 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a good ending all in all. Also sounds like your in a good neck of the woods. Those seem to be disappearing.

I think manners may have played a role.

Just curious what was your total sale in meals? Head count I guess not dollars. Also if you only had truck and trailer what would you guess your max is?

Sounds like a great event and good times.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02 16 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just under 1500 sammies, over 500 rib orders [ sold out] , 400+ parfaits, 350 pounds rib tips [ sold out.. ] ....rained Fri night which really killed sales, so we had just enough buns, but did have to shop for more butt's on Sat. to get through Sunday! Having city news papers food writer do an article on our parfait Sun. morning was nice for Sunday sales which are normally slower than Sat. Wink [ pork in parfait ]
Turns out a spark plug popped out of head...along with manifold bolt / gasket issue... Plug then melted a coil [ Ford mounts a coil to each plug on this model ] In shop as I type...Mechanic thinks she SHOULD be up and running today or tomorrow Very Happy Very Happy Should be a LITTLE profit remaining after fine / repairs / down time Wink
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
waywardtravel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02 16 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your pushing some serious food through the window. It's probably your regular routine but sounds like you must have a well oiled machine with crew and all.

I'm so far behind I have never even seen or made a PP parfait.
Neither has my Austin born wife. I'll make some this weekend. Looks like a great thing to play with. I have a guy pushing me to do a birthday party for a mutual friend.

I wrench for a living most days. I hope you get the truck squared away. It also sounds like your mechanic is decent and had time available if he already had the head off and back. Good luck.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 16 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well oiled machine [ food truck ] is an understatement!!
Myself, my wife and 1 part time gal who all run like headless chickens at times!!....LOL
7 years in the making, we seem to have things figured out Very Happy
Price to get truck fixed was well under my worst guess!!
Darn check engine light came back on a mile away from shop, but am hopeful its from carbon buildup etc. from plug being out for 100+ miles!!
Didnt need to remove head as plug seemed to have simply backed herself out!!
Minor exhaust leak I wasnt too worried about, so long as she runs good - and she does!! We will see tomorrow as I try to achieve highway speeds with trailer hooked up Confused Leak can wait until the snow flies and things slow down on the vending end!!
Actually looking for a bigger tow vehicle....Hoping to find something along the lines of a straight F-550 or Sterling etc. with a sleeper for the big gig's! Then have my lettered cube box put on her!! If this ole' gal keeps running, there is no rush, but keeping my eye's peeled as there are a few bigger gig's a ways away I would like to start attending[ Sturgis for one!!] , plus plans drawn up for an even bigger food truck for next year! Already have a Fatboy Lang burning as I type looking for a home on a new rig Wink She fits about 100# more than my Lang 84, plus new rig will have spot for an additional CTO [?] I sure miss my deep fryers and big flat top I had on my Tex-Mex rig [ sold in spring ] ...Looking to combine the 2 rigs into one...The old Ford may have issues tugging the new one!!!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
waywardtravel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 16 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, someF550's and Sterling surround the same engine as my truck. Unfortunately mine is surrounded by a Dodge or Chrysler pickup. I dyno'd 750 hp 1350 TQ last week or two ago but it tows like a dream as long as I stay on top of the Chrysler front ends weaknesses. I race the truck and plan to vend at the track for the bigger events. I am currently thinking I'll do a race (for the first gig) towing the smoking trailer racing something like a stock Honda just to see what it can do, or blow another trans OOPS. I guarantee it would be in every video on local TV and start the brand name in this small country.

You can't go wrong with Cummins in my opinion. I like the big Fords but yet to have seen the mid size Sterling interiors.

A sleeper sounds great for your purposes. I'm betting you will wind up building the sleeper cab some winter.

Your going BIG either way.
Don't hot rod it of course but if law allows look seriously into some of the emission deletes before it's too late. Some of them destroy the engines and even make them pollute more. Cool
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09 17 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New rig has 14,000 pound axles [ 2 @ 7,000 ]

Nose is up a little as box truck is empty. Will take care of that once season begins, with canned goods etc. and filling fridge / freezer in front of box
Re-worked the hitch on box truck to handle more weight. That little 5.4L pulls this pig just fine!!

1" x 3" plate steel runs back 3' under frame of truck, 2 huge cross members under plate, plate has gusset from back support to outer end...cut the heavy bumper to slide receiver in then welded that all the way around to receiver tube, full distance of receiver tube to plate steel, then angle iron over top of that to existing bumper! I had bent the old system a little with all the tongue weight when hitting the bumps on our northern frost heaved roads......No longer a bending issue, EVER!!....LOL
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: