FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer Sausage Binder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrangler95

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09 16 7:47 am    Post subject: Summer Sausage Binder Reply with quote

I have a HiMountain kit for making 25 lbs,how much binder do you use per lb of meat.I will be using non fat dried milk.Thanks for the advice
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09 16 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer Sausage Binder Reply with quote

Wrangler95 wrote:
I have a HiMountain kit for making 25 lbs,how much binder do you use per lb of meat.I will be using non fat dried milk.Thanks for the advice

Len Poli uses non-fat dry milk powder in his summer sausage at a rate of 1.96%. I prefer grams for sausage making so couldn't give you exact cup amounts. 1lb of meat at 1.96% would mean 8.8grams per lb or 0.0196lbs per lb.5.5lbs of sausage meat would be 3/4 cup of non-fat dry milk or 50grams.

Hope this helps! Also, my suggestion, just switch to the metric system already! Grams are so much easier to measure! Lol!
Wrangler95

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10 16 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Comrade
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14 16 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I have always done things is to keep my fat separate and keep everything very cold

I mix my lean meat until it is very sticky, get it chilled again, then fold in my gound fat.
This way I do not need to add anything to bind the meat, it does it naturally
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: