FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoker For Sausage Making

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thunderhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01 16 1:16 am    Post subject: Smoker For Sausage Making Reply with quote

I didn't get much for input in the Cooker section of the forum, so I thought I would post this question here.

New to the forum. I am new to sausage making and am planning to get a smoker for some of the varieties I would like to make. I have been reading some on the forum about sausage making and have noticed some people start at a low temperature and gradually work the temp up.

In researching smokers, I discovered Cookshack smokers and am leaning toward that as the smoker I will purchase. The temperature range for the SM 025 is 140-300 degrees.

My question is with 140 degrees as the low end for this smoker, would it still be good for smoking different varieties of sausages. If it isn't going to work out well, then I will probably get a Bradley smoker.

Thank you for your input.
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04 16 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself use a Mes40 for my sausages. I think any smoker you are getting for sausage is going to be too low of a heat to generate much smoke. My Mes40 is very good for sausage but the stock smoke generator is no good at 140-160. I purchased an A-maze-n Smoker https://www.amazenproducts.com/ to go along with it and it works perfectly. I think any electric smoker would do fine as long as it allows you to control the temp low enough but I strongly suggest you use a smoke generator like that as it will provide much better smoke. The problem with electric smokers and low temp sausage cooking is the element only comes on for short periods of time and it is not long enough to generate much heat and smoke. I read some reviews on the Cookshack website and they say the same thing.

My personal choice is the pellet smoker http://www.amazenproducts.com/product_p/amnps5x8.htm. it does pellets or dust and burns for up to 12 hours.

I think the Cookshack is a better machine than the Mes40 but price wise it is roughly double the price. I say go for it but really consider the smoke generator as well. Besides, with a smoke generator like that one you can also cold smoke which comes in handy for sausage/bacon/salmon/cheese etc ...

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05 16 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was given a "Master Built" electric unit a few years back, and it did a surprisingly good job on sausage due to the digital temp & timer.
Thunderhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05 16 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the A-maze-n Smoker, do you use that as an additional source of smoke along with the wood chunks that you would use in the smoker.

Another question is would you allow the heat from the smoker to get the A-maze-n Smoker to start producing smoke, or would you get the pellets or sawdust to start burning by lighting it.

I would think that with the Cookshack having a low end temp of 140 deg, that is where you would want to start the smoking process?

Thanks
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06 16 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a MES that i use strictly for cold and hot smoking sausage and cold smoking cheese in the winter time.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06 16 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderhead wrote:
With the A-maze-n Smoker, do you use that as an additional source of smoke along with the wood chunks that you would use in the smoker.

Another question is would you allow the heat from the smoker to get the A-maze-n Smoker to start producing smoke, or would you get the pellets or sawdust to start burning by lighting it.

I would think that with the Cookshack having a low end temp of 140 deg, that is where you would want to start the smoking process?

Thanks

I just use the A-maze-n Smoker by itself, too much hassle replacing the wood chips when the smoker will last for 12 hours with no fuss. As for lighting, you have to ignite one end before placing in the smoker. I have a butane torch that I use, it locks on and I hold it against the open end for a minute or so to make sure it is red hot. I then let the flame burn for another few minutes, blow out the flame, and good to go for 10-12 hours. If you want more smoke you can also light the other end of the maze the same way and it will burn from both ends until they meet in the middle. Obviously that will cut your smoke generating time in half. I tried it once and found it provided too much smoke, one end provides more than enough.

Most sausage I start around 140 and bump up incrementally to 170/180. 180 and up you start rendering fat which you don't want in sausage making. So if I'm smoking for a four hour smoke, I start at 140 the first hour, 150 the second, 160 the third, and 170 the forth. This method works well for me but experiment and see what is best for you. After smoking I generally dump immediately into some ice water to stop the cooking and cool it, this prevents the shrunken and wrinkled appearance that you don't want on most sausage. Sometimes with snack sticks in particular you want that wrinkled look so you can omit it if that's what you're going for. Alternatively, you can finish poaching the sausage to bring the I.T. where you want it. Once done with the ice bath, I suggest a few hours of hanging on some wood dowels at room temperature to bloom before packing them away. These stages are just as important as the smoking stage in my opinion.

Hope this helps!

C.B. - I'm the same, that's pretty much all I use mine for, sausage/bacon/cheese/salmon/salami. I find I do more cold smoking than anything else lately. But with that said I do need some hot smoked sausage. Just made some maple breakfast links in sheep casing and some hot Italian but think I need some Kielbasa too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: