FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

commissary question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gray Goat
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09 16 10:33 pm    Post subject: commissary question Reply with quote

I have an opportunity to sell jerky and snack sticks at a small tavern here in town. While I am getting things in line to do this, one of the biggest hurdles seems to be finding affordable commissary space. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Home made offset
Weber gasser
Weber kettle
UDS
Large BGE
Masterbuilt 30"
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10 16 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out a kitchen in a church
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10 16 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every state and sometimes even county have varying laws on commissaries and food laws in general[ Cook Co. being one ] , a church may very well work for you, but check with local health department. For me in Wi, even a gas station that is licensed to sell coffee or sandwiches can be a legal commissary. I currently have the butcher I use regularly for my specialty sausages listed as mine.
Maybe make a deal with a small grocer or gas station in trade for your product on their shelves????
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Gray Goat
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12 16 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas TOOLman and Mr. Tony. Very Happy I am also thinking of talking to the local VFW

Home made offset
Weber gasser
Weber kettle
UDS
Large BGE
Masterbuilt 30"
Gray Goat
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12 16 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas TOOLman and Mr. Tony. Very Happy I am also thinking of talking to the local VFW

Home made offset
Weber gasser
Weber kettle
UDS
Large BGE
Masterbuilt 30"
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15 16 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one other problem that you may run into, if you are wholesaling these items (sounds like you are) you may need an onsite state inspector during all stages of production, an approved HACCP plan, and all your recipes will most likely need to be approved by the state food safety lab.

Hows that for oppressive tactics to keep entrepreneurs from succeeding?

My local inspector Wrongly told me I cannot due any curing at all at my restaurant, I went over her head to get clarification from the state level, and they sided with me by saying those rules do not apply, all was fine and dandy until she went full retard on me wrongly citing me on many things.
So basically she won because I will not play her stupid games.
Gray Goat
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16 16 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harry ! Whenever the term "cured meat" is used, all kinds of red flags go up. I plan on having a sit down with the local health dept.

I also can't figure out why I am double posting Smile

Home made offset
Weber gasser
Weber kettle
UDS
Large BGE
Masterbuilt 30"
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17 16 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gray Goat wrote:
Thanks Harry ! Whenever the term "cured meat" is used, all kinds of red flags go up. I plan on having a sit down with the local health dept.

I also can't figure out why I am double posting Smile

Be very clear that you are not curing as a method of preservation, and in fact you are doing it to modify the flavor and texture of the meat.

Which brings up my first bout with my newest inspector, she said "Smoking" needed a HACCP plan, my reply was; "well its probably a very good thing that I am not doing any smoking then, I am simply roasting meats in a solid-fueled commercial cooking appliance."

some people in the regulatory field act is if it is their mission to make sure a business cannot open, it should be that they guide and help someone operate safely.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20 16 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, we do not smoke or cure as a preservative! Flavor and texture is our goal, not shelf stability. Many inspectors need to learn what questions to ask and when to apply some of the regulations. And not be sore losers when educated. However in order to skirt the BS you must use refrigeration and time limits for holding and storage even if the process does make your product stable for extended holding. None of us want to make someone sick. The regulations, as much of a pain as they can be, are usually there for good reasons!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: