FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with prime rib (practice pics added)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whall
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01 16 9:12 am    Post subject: Help with prime rib (practice pics added) Reply with quote

I was asked to help a buddy cook 2 prime ribs for a wedding. I will probably be doing the majority myself because he is in the wedding too .

He told me that they didn't want a heavy smoke flavor to it so i think using all white oak for the fuel should be ok. I think they want it cooked to mid rare and if someone wants it ruined i mean cooked further there will be a grill there to do so.

I was just wondering what the best way to cook it. Low heat 225-250? Medium heat 275-300? High heat 300+?

I will probably just do a simple rub of salt, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder but not sure yet

I thought about putting pans underneath to catch the jus and adding beef broth after to make it go further

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I bought one to practice on. i plan on trying it this weekend. I will do my best to remember to take pics and share the results.

Here are a few pics of my first prime rib.

After tying:

After seasoning with salt, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder:

After a couple hours in:

After it came off and just before resting:

I didn't get to take a pic of it after I sliced it, I was swarmed by a bunch of hungry people
Shocked Laughing

It turned out great and was much easier than I thought it would be. I would definitely recommend trying it at least once

Last edited by whall on Mon Oct 03 16 10:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01 16 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy stuff, I cook our primes right along with everything else in the pit.

Allow for 4 hours (boneless, fat cap off 112A) at 225'ish, pull them out at 115F and let them rest for up to an hour before carving.

Wood, a small efficient burning fire is all you need, we use red oak Maple & cherry for all our products, and the smoke is not over powering.

Catch pan in the pit, it may cause a jus that it too smoky, your best bet is to save the drippings from the resting period and extend that a little.

Rub,
Basic S&P with garlic is always nice

I hope this helps
whall
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02 16 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Harry.

It may not be as hard to do as I thought.

We will see. . .

Laughing
apn73

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03 16 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a couple of them using the "Legends of Texas Barbecue Cook Book", but a hybrid of a couple of different recipes within that book. I've rubbed them using Louis Charles Henley's All-Purpose Rub, and it's as follows:

- 1/4 cup Lawry's Seasoning Salt
- 1 tablespoon finely ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder

For a 3.5 to 4 lb. rib roast, they're saying smoke for 2 hours at 325-350, bring to an internal temperature of 130 degrees F. I've gotten rave reviews on the above for both oven and smoker cooking. Yummmmyyyy!
Best,
Adam.
Simple UDS - love this thing!
Sgt. Stel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03 16 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've yet to try a prime rib. Let us know how it goes.

Sgt. Stel
Custom Offset - USMC Special "Sarge"
T&K Gravity Feed, Medium
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: