FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am planning to get some chickens.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28 16 10:47 am    Post subject: I am planning to get some chickens. Reply with quote

I searched the forum and found one old thread from a couple years ago. Most that responded said "I am thinking about getting chickens too." So how many followed through? My plans are to build a coop maybe 4x8 and tall enough to get in. Then a run maybe 8x12 or so completely covered in. I only plan to get around 6 hens for eggs. With a coop that size I would have room to increase if I decide to.
If you have pics of your coops I'd love to see them.

My plans are for something similar to this, fairly basic just a little larger.
Filson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18 16 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older post, but seen it and wanted to reply.

We moved out to our 60 acre farm 2 years ago this month. Around the place was a lot of lumber, some just waiting to be used, some I repurposed from other uses. They also had a chain-link sectional fence (I'm assuming it was used as a small run for whatever animals they had) anyway, it was still shiny like new, so that was cool.

At the end of the day, I had built a chicken coop on stands, about 2' off the with the actual coop being about 5'x4' in size. The roof has a single pitch with the high-end at the front door sloping down to the rear. At the rear, is an externally mounted nest box, with 3 dividers creating 4 nesting spots. There is a hinged trap door (the little roof of the nest box) to access the eggs easily.

Out the front of the chicken coop is the chain-link run. Walls are 6' high, and it's laid out in a rectangle shape in our garden. Run is about 8'x16'. I used some chicken-wire fencing that was laying around the place to give it a hawk-proof roof, and closed in beneath the coop due to it being up on its stands.

We have 6 Buff Opringtons, which have been absolutely great. Their fun to watch and when my wife walks out on the porch and calls for them, their fuzzy butts come waddling down to the house from wherever they were at (they free-roam mostly).

We've had a couple dry spells in terms of eggs, but 90% of the time we get about 4-5 a day.

About a week and a half ago, we decided to get some more chickens (bantams this time) as well as some ducks. Chicks and ducklings both were only a couple days old when we got them (5 ea, chicks and ducklings). Holy crap, ducks grow way faster than chickens lol. Ducklings were maybe 2x the size of chicks when we got them, now the ducklings are maybe 6-8x the weight/size.

Anyway, sort of all over with my post, but just thought I'd try and get a convo going. =) Thanks for sharing!
BillN

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21 16 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filson good post, thanks for sharing. Hard to beat home grow eggs especially when you know what they are eating.
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23 16 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't bigger always better? I ended up going bigger then the original example I posted. The coop is 6'x8' with 7' walls. The run part is 8' wide and 24' long, covered in hardware cloth.
I ended up with 9 hens, 3 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Golden Comets, and 3 Barred Rocks. I still have to finish trimming out the coop and paint it but its been in use for about 3 weeks, so far so good. The hens I bought were 18 weeks old. One started laying 2 weeks ago, the others should start any time.

Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23 16 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep in mind, you will most likely now have much more than just chickens.
When my neighbor got them, he [ we ] also saw a huge increase in rats, mice, weasels, coon and coyote's!
whether they can actually get to the chickens or not is irrelevant....They will smell them. They will come. They will enjoy the feed at a minimum...Hopefully not find a way in!!
Since he stopped raising them, the critter population has moved on to greener pastures, and I no longer hear the regular shots fired from hi back door....So be sure to keep a shootin' stick of some sort nearby!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24 16 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm expecting that and am trying to continue to prepare. The thing that surprised me most is my neighbor who has chickens. I went over to his house, he free ranges. He has a coop built in the back of his pole barn with a door cut in that stays open year around. He has had 20 chickens plus (this week he bought 100 more). He said he has never lost one to a predator. Coon, foxes, etc could walk right in and wipe him out but so far nothing. We live in the county and near a state park so there is plenty of wild life around. Just a matter of time I guess.
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24 16 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know from watching T.V is chicken hawks can be a real pain in the a$$.

Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21 16 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do look nice but there are very few manufactured chicken coops that are built correctly and of any quality. I am glad I built mine myself. One, it was cheaper, two, I got a few features I wanted, and three I was able to make sure it had the appropriate amount of ventilation etc. (which most manufactured coops don't have.) If you are interested I a coop and can't build one yourself it is about best to buy a shed from some place and then modify it. Most sheds are built out of better materials then the pre made coops.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: