FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When to cut the door

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dudecw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17 16 9:29 pm    Post subject: When to cut the door Reply with quote

Hi guys, I am working on an offset build for the back yard. I scored a 20" diameter pipe with 3/8" wall and 3 feet long. My question right now is when to cut the door. I wand to avoid the door getting sprung if I can. Should I weld on the end caps first and then cut the door, or cut the door first?

Any thought are appreciated.

Last edited by dudecw on Sat Sep 17 16 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
1MoreFord
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18 16 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's hard to resist the temptation to cut it all at once but if you cut it in stages over a period of days you will reduce the likelihood of a sprung door. Cut a few inches. Skip a few inches. Cut a few more inches and repeat around the door. Then you can come back later and install your hinges over an already cut section on top of the door. Finish cutting the bottom of the door. Install your handle and if you are installing a metal seal strip on the outside do so on the bottom of the door to prevent it from swinging into the pit. Finish the cuts on the sides of the doors and you have a door cut. I saw this method described with pics on a build the guy called cyclops. Sadly the build has disappeared from the net. Truly enlightening.
Kwislandman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18 16 9:28 am    Post subject: Cutting the door for the first time Reply with quote

I just started a 120gallon propane tank. I made all my cuts except for the corners. I then made my hinges out of 1/2" steel rod and 1/2 pipe cut to 6". I heated the rod and bent into a 90 degrees. Then I welded it into place ( making sure it was level and straight). Then I cut my corners. It worked perfect.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18 16 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut my doors out once my end caps are on. I leave the four corners, the middle top 2", the middle bottom 2". Let it cool then finish cutting it out. I do not like to hinge my door before cutting it out completely because if it springs it is a lot easier to tweak it off the cooker.
I will say this some doors spring others do not, some a little and some a lot. It really does not matter what you cut it with if the tank or pipe is stressed you will relieve it when you cut it open.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
dudecw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19 16 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips guys. I think I will get my end caps on and then cut the doors. I plan on doing the exact same hinge plan as Kwislandman.

This thick steel is testing my welding skills for sure. Lots to learn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: