FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will a horizontal drum be ok for a first time smoker..etc?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24 16 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned that most of the drums in your area had some kind of chemical in them. Is there one that has had oil in it? I wouldn't have a problem using one of those after burning it out really well.
Slim Pickens

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24 16 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike:

Most everything available locally is from 2 main sources that buy and resell containers of all sorts.The problem is finding one who actually knows (and will tell you) what the drum was originally used for.Most all containers that I have seen have had the labels torn off.I'm always cautious about buying any thing used that I can't confirm.

Like I said up-post,I can buy food grade in Manila,but that is so far away,and inconvenient.

I do have a nephew trying to find a used drum also.He is in a position of some authority,so he may find something.I did say that I would accept an oil drum,so there is that.

Otherwise,I would probably elect to build from scratch,if only for my piece of mind.

Only issue i have with the black steel sheet available locally,is that it is only 1/16.That is pretty thin,but that may be my only available choice.
Pinkelephant
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24 16 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently north of Queson City this week in San Jose Del Norte (Pacific Waves Resort). I haven't seen many drums of any kind here. a chartered jeepnie to a Manila drum has to be cheaper than fabricating something from scratch. a UDS is real efficient and isn't a fuel hog, also it can be configured for grilling. You really want a weber style domed lid for hot grilling though if you want the lid on while grilling. I know the street food is cooked without a lid.
| _Trucks-n-BBQ _ | H|--[ ]\____,
|_______________| H|___|____|
(o)(o)"""""""""""(o)(o)****(____)(o)
Slim Pickens

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25 16 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that there was a Weber style BBQ available here,but you can be sure that it would be at least double the price of the same model in the US.Finding a spare lid for a Weber isn't happening,I'm pretty confident of that.

Renting a Jeep is an option,but consider the logistics.It would be a 12hr round trip just to go back and forth to Manila.Then add on at least 2-3 hours for traffic navigating Manila.If it were double the cost to fab one up from scratch instead of going to Manila,I would gladly pay the price.

1/16" sheet is approx $30.A 4x8 sheet will do the entire project,at least I believe it would.Labor here is cheap.

If you are in Quezon City,I can give you the number for a food grade drum.If you have never seen N Luzon,come on up and look around.Bring a drum with you and I'll buy your lunch. Smile
Mike Lawry
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01 16 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever consider making something with bricks?
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01 16 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A petroleum product drum would be no problem to burn out, I'm almost positive you can find one at a location for auto repair, gas station, etc, as a lot of these places sell oil to customers out of a drum rather than the more expensive smaller plastic bottles. If they won't sell you one, ask who they sell or trade their empties to. Also try a junk dealer.
Petroleum drums are a dime a dozen all over Asia.
Just gotta scrounge some, been do it in Asia for about 30 years!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: