FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wood fire difference????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete-O the great

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 2:51 am    Post subject: Wood fire difference???? Reply with quote

What difference is caused by having a separate fire and scooping in the hot coals from a wood fire to your smoker or just adding the split logs to the firebox?
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You waste a lot of the heat from burning with a burn barrel, so if you have a forest on hand it's not so much of a problem, but if wood is costly or hard to come by, then IMO you are better with burning in the fire box and gaining every therm in the pit that you can.

I still work here!
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an open pit you would do just that, scoop coals from a side fire and distribute them under your hog or butts. But in a closed pit what SoEzzy is saying makes better sense.

To contradict what I just said, I did have a situation where I had some greenish hickory that was putting off a bit more white smoke than I wanted. To remedy that, I pre-charred the splits in a side fire before putting them in the firebox, and that cut down on the acrid smoke. I did go through more wood using that technique.
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have cooked a few whole hogs back in the day and we shoveled the coals under the hog. The advantage is that it allows you to place the heat exactly where you want it. Another reason it is done is because you wouldn't want a live fire under a hog. The disadvantages are that you still have flare ups that you have to watch for as the fat starts to render and drip onto the coals. As so ezzy stated it burns a lot more fuel and is somewhat labor intensive on long cooks. It is the traditional way to cook hogs in my part of the country but is almost unheard of anymore. Since I have gotten older I prefer a stick burner that has an offset firebox as this eliminates the flare ups and only takes about 2 sticks per hour to maintain my heat.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
Pete-O the great

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23 16 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your inputs. I figured it ate wood like that. But as I noticed when I toss a new log in my stick burner the first smoke is that evil white smoke. I was thinking of taking a crack at making my own lump as it would have the uniformity and size I'm looking for. It should contain the flavor of the hardwood mildly.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23 16 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you can do is place your split on top of the firebox to preheat it before adding it to the fire.
Pete-O the great

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23 16 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what I been doing is leaving the firebox door open til the wood stops the white smoke or close it when the temperature drop makes me nervous... I installed better thermometers to it and I can leave the cook chamber closed.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23 16 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also preheat the wood on the top or by the side of the fire box, just a couple of pieces at a time 10 - 15 minutes before you are going to put them on the fire.

I still work here!
stinkpickle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06 16 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When preburning your wood, you're basically just making your own charcoal and skipping the middle step.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: