FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freezing and Reheating Pork Shoulders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BradSp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 1:04 am    Post subject: Freezing and Reheating Pork Shoulders Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I just found this site, and I've enjoyed everything I've read so far. I've been smoking for about 2 years or so and while I think I'm getting better, I'm enjoying reading about how to take my skills to another level.

My question is simple: what is the best way to freeze and then reheat a pork shoulder?

I've never had the need to freeze the meat before. Usually what I cook is eaten that night or put in the fridge for leftovers for the next couple of days. This time, however, my in-laws are coming by for a visit and they want me to cook some pork. The problem is that I'm not going to have a full day while they are here to smoke the shoulder. I will have time earlier in the week to do it so I'm curious how you can freeze and then reheat the shoulder but keep it moist?

I will most likely cook it on Tuesday, and then we'll eat it on Sunday. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is unreasonable to cook the shoulder Tuesday and then keep it chilled in the fridge until Sunday. That's a huge chunk of meat and by the time you get it frozen you'll have to turn right back around and thaw it out for a couple of days to reheat it and even then reheating it is going to take quite some time. You may want to pan it with some juice and cover with foil for the reheat, to keep it hydrated.

Optionally you could pull the meat after cooking and store in serving size baggies and that would be less mass and less time to reheat. But that's up to you.
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't freeze it. A solid frozen shoulder would take 2.5 - 3 days to thaw in the fridge. Personally I don't like reheating but some times it's a necessity. I would cook all the way to 195-200. I would pan it before all fat rendered...maybe 6 to 8 hours into cook and this will allow you to capture broth from the shoulder. I would pour off the broth in a mason jar or fat separator and refrigerate, double foil the shoulder and wrap tight store in a "cold" refrigerator. Pan the shoulder, skim the broth and put half of it in the pan, cover with foil and reheat in a 300 degree oven until internal hits 170. Pull the shoulder, reheat remaining half of broth and pour over pulled product.
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
BradSp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. Do you think it would make any difference if I smoked a butt instead of the whole shoulder? I don't know that I will, but just in case.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cook it to 195 - 205°, put into a half pan at 160 - 165°, cool it whole, drain the juice out of the half pan, store the juice separately in the fridge, refrigerate it whole, day you want to serve it put the pan in the smoker or oven, add the juice back in, warm it to above 165°.

Take it out of the oven / smoker, use bear claws or a couple of forks to pull it, serve everyone, if you have a lot left, plan on meals that include it, and send them home with a bag or two.

I still work here!
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BradSp wrote:
Ok, thanks. Do you think it would make any difference if I smoked a butt instead of the whole shoulder? I don't know that I will, but just in case.

I personally like butts more than shoulder. Shouldn't effect your cook.
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
BradSp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 16 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. I'll give it a whirl and let you know how it turned out.
bucket
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30 16 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your planning on pulling it, I wouldn't be afraid to freeze it. I've done it this way a few times with good results. Cook it as you would if you were serving it that day, pull it, then put it in large ziplock bags and dunk it in a cooler full of ice water till cold. Then freeze. I like to put it in enough bags that it can be pressed flat so it will freeze quickly.

When you are ready to cook, just thaw it in the fridge overnight and put it in a roaster with a little apple juice (or bbq sauce if you use it). It is close enough to fresh cooked that you will be the only one to tell the difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: