FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

whats the best of all worlds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
waywardtravel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10 16 7:59 am    Post subject: whats the best of all worlds Reply with quote

What would be the best pit/warmer for cooking all types of foods and trying to keep all cooking on the back porch.

I know everything has drawbacks no matter what. I am building a 30ft overall traile that will have a 12ft bbq porch.

That porch will have a pitmaker vertical with 5 racks so a lot of butts.

I am planning to be situated in a semi permenant location and want to have the flexibility to cook anything. I don't expect to cook for more than 500 on the rare days. I have a locaton nearby for freezer storage, ice, water replenish, some light prep if necc etc,

I need tons of grill space for my hobby which is jerky. My current smoker has about 19 sq ft but I need about 4 times that minimum. I have debated making hanging rods for the jerky but I'm building a big smoker none the less.

I thinking a sizable offset. Haven't decided on direct, tuning plates, reverse, or hybrid. I envision at least 3 opening doors on the main chamber with 3 racks each maybe 4. 23x25 inches per rack. Then have a warmer atop the firebox that can also utilize the smoke when open. I have debated a griddle built into the firebox top.

If I did that I would still add a regular charcoal grill for quick burgers and dogs.

So what do you recommend for cooking everything outside and only refrigeration and prep inside for the most part.

This will be a lunch and dinner spot eventually and maybe keep just 1 cooker going all the time or maybe just the charcoal grill.
fish&q
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11 16 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I think you need to look at what will your state and local gov. will allow and then go from there. I run a FEC100 and a Bubba Grill Hog Cooker the reason I use the BG is because it's the most versatile smoker I could find that will let me both smoke and use it as a grill as needed. I do not do much vending anymore mostly catering but if you think your going to serve 500 people a day I hope you have enough help good luck
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
waywardtravel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11 16 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm foreign located and health dept is pretty relaxed. I would only forsee the 500 at a race track where we get about 2k to 5k people at the events. Thats only about 5 times a year. From watching current venders the line just doesnt seem to go away for about 6 hours. I hopefully would have mostly pre-made foods except for quick grill stuff.

Developing a team will be a priority for me.

Im hoping for 3 to 4 people at a time working. Maybe 2 shifts or close to it. Order person who does the drink and cash, prep person plating sides and chef cooking, then a floater replenishing and maybe plating cooked foods from porch.
I really have no idea. I'm new to this.

I'll try to look up your mentioned smoker.
fish&q
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12 16 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad your health department pretty relaxed because some states are a nightmare.
There are a lot of good smokers you can but if you are going to using propane you should look at an Ole hickory or a larger FEC if you want to go with a pellet cooker but they are pricey If you want to just burn wood you can also look at a Lang but you don't have the water pans in them like the Bubba Grill that you can use for a grill. I'm sure Tony will chime in he does a lot more vending than I do and you can get a lot of info from him
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12 16 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do all my cooking outside at this point. HAD a grill on the porch across from Lang 84 deluxe RF, but the heat between the two was unbearable!!
When I do burgers / brats / dogs, I simply put them on the Lang and smoke 'em...Hold burgers in some beef stock, sausages in chicken stock! Even if they are well done, you will get a smoke ring pink center [ burgers] outer edges of sausages will have smoke ring you may have to explain to some as they are done, but pink makes them think they are raw at outer edges...lol
I recently added a moisture controlled warming oven to my porch - can cook a day in advance and hold butts and briskets and not even the most picky can tell the difference!!
My next rig will have deep fryers and a flat top for some special events etc. but I have survived 5 years with this trailer serving over 1000 / day at big gigs.
Feel free top comment here or pm if there are specifics you care to ask!! I got where I am thanks to fellow Ringers - glad to help where I can!!
Tony
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12 16 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up one of these to go on my next build. Will fit across the back of a porch trailer, 22sq' between the 3 racks, plus warming cabinet.
http://langbbqsmokers.com/lang84/lang84_fat-boy-deluxe-kitchen.html
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
waywardtravel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13 16 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!!
What's your opinion on pitmaker Vaults? Have you ever burned charcoal? That's what I currently have. It's a vertical 5 rack. 20 sq ft I believe. Charcoal fired and add wood chunks is what I've been doing.

A 40 lb bag of charcoal last a few burns pretty easy but 1/2 of what I do now is short 4 to 6 hr cooks.

Wood supply for me is an issue. The best smoking wood I've found so far is NANCE. I'd say it's closest to alder compared to the states side woods.

I've been buying up all the hickory I see in bags. I'm also buying all the lump charcoal I can. They occasionally have cowboy mesquite and sometimes the regular that doesn't specify.

I'm working on wood sources and considering converting to gas assist or pellet eventually.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13 16 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very large capacity Water / RF cabinet smoker that holds up to 700 pounds. It does a nice job with lump and splits mixed! I must say I prefer my RF's for flavor, but prefer the guru type system on the cabinet smoker for sleep!!! Very few of my customers can tell the difference - none complain about the subtleties!

WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
fish&q
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13 16 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own a Pitmaker but they are supposed to be an
excellent smoker. If you are having a hard time getting wood then a couple of verticals would be a good choice or even a pellet cooker neither will put out flavor of a stick burner like Tony said but they you can still turn out good BBQ with them
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: