FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking at kettle grills
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mantipp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09 16 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weber Kettle for sure. I have the premium setup with auto ignition. Don't regret it for one second.
NaughtyNurse
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14 16 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave away a 18" Weber but have 3 of the 22.5" grills, things just seem to fit better on those.
Check your local Craigslist, around here they can be had pretty cheap, replacement grates are easily available and inexpensive if needed.
KCBS CBJ
FEC-100, FE/PG1000, 22" WSM, Good-One Rodeo, Big Steel Keg
WeBeCue

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15 16 7:00 am    Post subject: Weber Kettle Grills are Worth Every penny Reply with quote

I have a 22 inch Silver that sits out 8 months of the year. It still cleans up to look great. It cooks GREAT.
bucket
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15 16 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching craigslist and such...and I found a couple fairly close (within an hour drive) and both said that I am welcome to come look at them...but they are only available on days that don't have the letter y in them... and between 12:30 and 12:31.

Side note...IF YOU'RE GOING TO LIST SOMETHING FOR SALE, THEN COMMIT TO BEING AROUND TO SELL THE DAMN THING!
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16 16 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its within in your budget just go to lowes and spend the $150 and start cooking. If your budget is tight you can get a standard 22" for about $100 if you find them in stock. It seems like every time I attempt to contact someone on craigslist I get the runaround or call me next week. I have all but stopped using craigs list for that very reason. Try ebay as well. I hope it works out for you.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
bucket
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16 16 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As luck would have it...I was able to look at and get an 18" Weber last night. It doesn't look like it was used much...the lower grate isn't even warped. Will need cleaned up a little, but for $30, I figure I couldn't go wrong.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16 16 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score!
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16 16 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice score. I got my Performer 11 years ago and it's still as good as it was new no matter how much I punish it. I've replaced the burn grate and the cooking grate in that time, but both are available at HD off the shelf and neither of them was more than $20. A Weber cover is a really good investment. Fits perfectly and has a 3 year warranty off the shelf. I replaced my 11 year old cover this summer and I have zero complaints with Weber. As many grills as I've owned over the years, I'll never buy anything but a Weber again.
bucket
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16 16 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson wrote:
Very nice score. I got my Performer 11 years ago and it's still as good as it was new no matter how much I punish it. I've replaced the burn grate and the cooking grate in that time, but both are available at HD off the shelf and neither of them was more than $20. A Weber cover is a really good investment. Fits perfectly and has a 3 year warranty off the shelf. I replaced my 11 year old cover this summer and I have zero complaints with Weber. As many grills as I've owned over the years, I'll never buy anything but a Weber again.

Actually, it came with a Weber cover, so I don't have to worry about that. I may buy a new cooking grate...just because.

Hopefully I can fire it up this weekend. I have cooked over charcoal a little, and can do the simple things like burgers, dogs and steaks, but I have a lot to learn.
suckaass
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16 16 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new grill, bucket Very Happy

I love cooking over coals. It just takes a little more planning as charcoal takes longer to light than a turning a knob and pushing a button, but the extra time is worth the wait IMO.

Enjoy Very Happy
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16 16 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Harbor Freight and but yourself what they call a "weed burner". Attaches to a standard propane tank. It's essentially a flamethrower, and will light your charcoal (briquette or lump) in less than 3 minutes. Makes grate cleaning a breeze too.
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17 16 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson wrote:
Go to Harbor Freight and but yourself what they call a "weed burner". Attaches to a standard propane tank. It's essentially a flamethrower, and will light your charcoal (briquette or lump) in less than 3 minutes. Makes grate cleaning a breeze too.

I cheat a little more than that, I have a little contraption I built. I call it my little Dragon:
I took a 8" hvac round elbow, coupled a 10 to 8 adapter to it. Built a frame to hold it and an old propane collar. I light my chimney with 2 sheets of paper, place a fan blowing into the 10" , put the chimney on the collar(piece of mesh under it) let paper burn 1 minute, turn on the fan: 5 to 6 minutes all my coals are grey. If using wood chunks, maybe 4-5 they are all burning nicely.
Saves me 15 minutes of wait compared to when just letting the chimney doesn't have the fan.
Thumper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21 16 3:08 pm    Post subject: Another performer fan here Reply with quote

I am also a huge fan of the weber performer. Mine is in its 7th year and I haven't had to replace anything yet! Although the cover is coming up for replacement soon. I love the ash pan and the propane starter! I also like the work top as well. It has been a great investment!
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22 16 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use my weed burner when I'm cooking on the grill. I dont even use a chimney, just arrange my charcoal and hit it with the torch. On longer cooks I've adopted k.a.m.'s method. This is super for 12-24 hours of stickburner where I'm adding a chimney of lump every couple of hours. Probably would have tossed this old turkey fryer when I got my new one.

30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
tonyjohnson619

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26 16 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a weber22.5 for 20 dollars on Craigslist
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26 16 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyjohnson619 wrote:
I just picked up a weber22.5 for 20 dollars on Craigslist

Nice score!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: