FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making a Griddle -pics added

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Flat Top & Griddle Grilling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 29 16 8:52 am    Post subject: Making a Griddle -pics added Reply with quote

OK, in case you haven't figured this out, I cant just keep things short and sweet. Gotta give you a backstory as to the how comes and whys I do the crazy stuff I come up with.

Several moons ago while I was doing my time in IND, I had a very small house. Now I am a TX boy and I like my TX flavors including fajitas. I had a small grill, no smoker and too many other hobbies to count and no time for any of them. One night I decided to make fajitas. Remember small house? when that lemon juice and butter combo hit that red hot skillet it smoked up the joint so bad that when i opened my front room window the neighbor thought my house was on fire and called the FD.

When the trucks showed up the only thing I could do was offer up a few fajitas and a really red face. Probably would have been funnier if the smoke with the jalapenos, habaneros and cayenne wasnt making my own version of tear gas as far as the firefighters could tell.
Laughing

Fast forward to now. I am in VA and again, another small house. And every time I make fajitas I end up setting off the smoke alarms, smoking up the kitchen and living room and having to open the windows. What is it with small houses and no vents above the oven? Since I am renting this one, I am not installing a vented range hood, so I thought - I'll build a griddle for the smoker. Pretty easy huh? yeah, OK Arrow

Memorial day weekend time for some fajitas (since I missed Cinco De Mayo) !! Very Happy

I bought a 22.5" X 23" drop pf 1/4" plate for $23.00 bucks (thought that was a good deal). Bought a full stick of 1.25" X 1/8" flatbar (cant have enough of that around anyway, and 20' rolls up nice in the bed of the truck).

l then read a bunch of articles on here and thought, OK this wont be to bad,,,,famous last words

First off MILLSCALE is a b*%$# to get off!!!.

I have a 4.5" grinder and a few other tricks but it took FOREVER to clean the plate. I may have to go back again, and double check a few spots,

Pics will be coming once I get to my laptop and have a few minutes to convert them over to PB

I tried heating it up and cooling real fast, that didn't help.
I tried flapdiscs - KAM wasnt kidding that is a pain with a 4.5
I tried the grinder, that was too much
Cutting wheel held at a flat angle did OK but don't hit an edge!!!
Went to the hardware store and bought a really abrasive "stripper" that promoted itself to remove scale. It worked but still slow.

SO I got the scale off, fired up the pits and then got to building the sides.

I put a back and two sides on the griddle and added a couple of horseshoes - gotta love them shoes- and had myself a start.

Threw it on the pit and got it toasty and added some vegetable oil. Gave it a good coat, let it heat up, gave it a rub down with another coat and let that go while I got cleaned up.

Went out, scraped it down and had a few spots that I might of missed the scale or the oil spotted up on (it will be in the pics when I get time to post them). Gave the new griddle a a good scrub with the wire brush and stoked up the fire.

Thinking I might want to put a X on the bottom with some flat bar, keep it from warping anymore - not sure if that will help?

I tell you, when that butter and onions and peppers hit and the smoke rolled, I was so happy to have it outside for a change. And having 19 X 20 of open space to spread them out. When the meat went on - again sheer joy - sizzle and smoke and not a care. And unlike my big cast iron on the stove, this thing heated back up in a minute.

I have a couple of gas burners for Turkey fryers, I could probably put this over two of them but for now I like it in the smoker.

Only problem, between all the work and tasting as the fajitas went - I was only able to eat one once I got them done. Oh well, breakfast in the morning Very Happy Shocked

Thanks for reading...I promise to get pics on - cause without pics it didn't happen

Happy Memorial Day Weekend
Chris
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 31 16 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the pics:

1/4" Plate steel:

Started grinding the edges first to remove scale to weld on sides.

I left a lip around the edge for spacing, curve of the pit and my horseshoe handles.

More grinding on the scale, that stuff is tuff!

Added the horseshoe handles...

Put it on the pit..

you can see it warped a little, I may want to add an X brace on the bottom to prevent it from getting worse.

Thoughts on using 1.25" X 1/8" flatbar welded on the edge as a brace?
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 31 16 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seasoned it for about an hour and a half on the pit. Multiple applications of vegetable oil - thin coats applied.

The time to try it out:

some butter for the veggies, it melted evenly and cleanly..

throw on some peppers and onions..

let them get good and hot, then throw on a little sliced beef seasoned up..

Stir them up a bit...

and voila, fajitas minus firefighters...

Thanks for looking,

Chris
Natural Hattrick 3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02 16 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool stuff!
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04 16 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Flat Top & Griddle Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: