FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cast iron woks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Discada Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 26 16 10:43 am    Post subject: cast iron woks Reply with quote

So I know discada are a bit shallower than woks, but it seems like they're very similar. I recently found out about Chinese cast iron woks. They are tempered after casting, which causes the graphite to migrate out, resulting is a flexible iron, similar to steel. I got one from the Wok Shop in San Francisco.

I really like it. It was very easy to season and was very non stick, right from the start. I got a 13" version a few weeks ago, but I find it's too easy to spill food out of it, so I just ordered a 16". They were $10 and $16, respectively. The 13" wok that I have is less than 1/8 inch thick, so it's not like western cast iron at all.

The 13" wok I have has casting marks you can see on the inside surface. It looks like the create molds by painting wax onto casting sand. You can see the brush marks. That texture is probably what makes it easier to get food to stay up on the sides.

So far I've only cleaned it with either just warm water, or warm water with a stainless steel wool pad. When they arrive you have to scrub off the graphite. I used an 80 grit sanding sponge.

I previously had a carbon steel wok, but I like the cast iron a lot more. Totally different cooking experience.

Here's me cooking Thai chilis into sauce:

[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/bob864/chili_zpswajywfar.jpg~original[/IMG][/img]
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 26 16 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyper thanks for the info...a friend just asked me about mine, I will send him a link so he can take a look.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Discada Cooking All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: