FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Menard's switching lump brands?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stinkpickle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31 15 11:27 pm    Post subject: Is Menard's switching lump brands? Reply with quote

I noticed at my local Menard's store yesterday that they're offering B&B Mesquite lump, and the green bag Royal Oak was nowhere in sight. Anybody else notice this?
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01 15 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you posting stinkpickle!

All I've seen at the Menard's where we live has been the green bag Royal Oak lump.

What's the bag size & price of the B&B Mesquite lump in your area?
stinkpickle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01 15 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an 8.something lbs bag for just under $5. They were still carrying Royal Oak briquettes, though. We have a few other locations here in town, so I will call and check those, too. My local one switched from carrying Western chips and chunks to Oklahoma Joe's brand, also.
Rosco
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02 15 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stinkpickle, GFS (Gordon Food Service), if there is one nearby, has their own brand of lump charcoal. Good quality, consistent results. usually available year round in 20 lb bags for $10-14/bag. Love Menards, but have never bought charcoal there...at those prices, I'll look!
stinkpickle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03 15 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't sound too bad, but I don't have a GFS close. Sad One of the local grocery stores carries Best Choice lump, which is similar to Royal Oak (naked whiz says it's just rebranded RO) for almost as cheap. The occasional rebate offers from Menard's made it worthwhile to me.
Rosco
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03 15 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Menards, wish I had NEVER introduced my wife to the place! She now carries a notebook and tape when we go there....Just never thought of buying my charcoal there. Their offers and rebates sure do make a difference! Sorry about no GFS nearby, I buy a LOT of meat, supplies there, never disappointed.
stinkpickle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03 15 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think it was just last year they had some kinda rebate deal (actually store credit) where the price for the 8.8lbs green bag RO came out to about $2.50 a piece.
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03 15 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Menard's has a combination sale price & in-store rebate on the green bag RO lump each Spring. This year it was $2.99 after rebate, limit 4 bags. That's the only time I buy RO lump.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68150

I see the web site shows the B&B Mesquite lump is now in stock at my local Menard's.

B&B Mesquite Lump @ Menard's Link

I'll have to check it out when I get a chance. I still have considerable inventory of Frontier lump from the multiple rebate offers last year.[/url]
stinkpickle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04 15 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

necron 99 wrote:
Menard's has a combination sale price & in-store rebate on the green bag RO lump each Spring. This year it was $2.99 after rebate, limit 4 bags. That's the only time I buy RO lump.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68150

I see the web site shows the B&B Mesquite lump is now in stock at my local Menard's.

B&B Mesquite Lump @ Menard's Link

I'll have to check it out when I get a chance. I still have considerable inventory of Frontier lump from the multiple rebate offers last year.[/url]

Ughhh...I checked on their website, and the green bag RO is now labeled "Seasonal Item" and is out of stock at every store in town. I would pick up a bag, or two, each time they had storewide 11% off rebates, so I have a small stockpile, but I just hate to see my options dwindle.
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03 15 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local Menard's only has green bag RO briquettes and the B&B mesquite lump. I bought 2 x 8lb. bags of the lump this weekend and used one in my UDS. The pieces were good quality and fairly large. I was impressed.......Not too many fines in the bag either. Smelled good and was not overly sparky.

For this round, I actually preferred it to the normal RO lump. I have not been impressed with it as it is inconsistent to me.

Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
stinkpickle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06 16 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green bag RO is back at Menards! It's packaged in an 8.81lbs bag, so we're getting a bonus 0.01lbs. Wink
biker.chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06 16 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Is Menard's switching lump brands? Reply with quote

stinkpickle wrote:
I noticed at my local Menard's store yesterday that they're offering B&B Mesquite lump, and the green bag Royal Oak was nowhere in sight. Anybody else notice this?

They seem to be using a red bag for lump now.
I got some for Easter from Menard's.

[img]http://royal-oak.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/RF_Ridge_ROAK_Lump.png
[/img]
EAT BACON
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12 16 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the green bag here - and it's up to $5.99 for the 8.8 lb. bag now.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/grills-outdoor-cooking/grills-smokers/8-8-lb-lump-charcoal/p-1444452523960-c-10141.htm?tid=-4416782709754846163

No sale & rebate yet this year on RO lump from Menard's either.

I saw WM had some of the 17.6 lb. red bags of RO lump on the shelf for <$10 the other day in my area.
stinkpickle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 21 16 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

necron 99 wrote:
Back to the green bag here - and it's up to $5.99 for the 8.8 lb. bag now.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/grills-outdoor-cooking/grills-smokers/8-8-lb-lump-charcoal/p-1444452523960-c-10141.htm?tid=-4416782709754846163

No sale & rebate yet this year on RO lump from Menard's either.

I saw WM had some of the 17.6 lb. red bags of RO lump on the shelf for <$10 the other day in my area.

$4.99 online price thru 5/30/16 at Menards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: