FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

80 Gallon Vertical Tank: Update 5/8/2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28 14 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Painless and dhal22. I appreciate it.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 09 16 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: 5/8/2016

Back in November 2015 I posted a topic on a modification to my charcoal basket. That thread is here --> http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69072 During that discussion missionsusmc inquired about my fuel usage having remembered that I was going through an incredible amount of fuel during an average cook. Up until that point I had pretty much resigned myself to accepting things the way they were. We batted around a bunch of ideas on how to fix it. We tried this and that to no avail without performing major surgery. I finally scheduled that major surgery and here's the results.

The one thing that needed to be done was to enlarge the opening between the firebox and the cooker. If you remember, originally there was a 5" pipe. Here it is cut away from the tank.

I tried to find a small piece of 10" or 12" pipe from the salvage yard but none was to be had. I did happen to have enough 1/4" x 5" bar to make up something. I decided to go with an octagon. I first started with a jig that I made from a 2 x 6 to make sure the angle was correct.

Here it is finished up.
[/url]

And what it looks like compared to the original pipe. I ran the numbers and the octagon area is 6 times what the 5" pipe was.

And the firebox cut out for the new transition piece and welded in.

And here's the view looking into the cooker. This is before I welded it to the cooker bottom. While I was in there I changed the grease drain fitting from a 90 to a T with a plug. This will help me clean out the drain pipe by removing the plug and ramming a brush or paper towel through the pipe.

That's pretty much it. I fired it off this afternoon. I'm having to learn how to control the heat all over again but the one thing to note is that previously I had to have 700 degree or so stack temperature to get the cooker up to 225 - 250 or so. It looks like now it only takes 500 degree stack temperature to maintain 250 degrees in the cooker. It took me 45 minutes to get stabilized, so since 5:30 this afternoon she's been holding a steady 250 degrees. I threw in some chicken wings a bit ago so I guess we're on standby waiting to see if I get some additional time between fuel replenishment.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 09 16 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike she looks sweet Exclamation
Seems like you bit the bullet and got some improvement right out of the box...always a good thing Wink
I hope you checked the clamp rules and regulations before proceeding Laughing Wink Laughing
Great job.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 09 16 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maniac wrote:
I hope you checked the clamp rules and regulations before proceeding Laughing Wink Laughing

I decided to forego the rules and I just "wished" this together. You did notice the magnets didn't you?
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 09 16 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what the coals looked like after 4 hours, including the 45 minute warmup time. It was still holding 250 degrees cooker temp but obviously ready for replenishment.

The reason why it took so long for warmup is because I used this method to start the basket of charcoal, letting the coals light up from the middle (removing the can of course) I'll probably do something different next time to move things along.

It seems like I've gained another 45 minutes to an hour on the fuel time, but that still doesn't meet UDS standards and at this point I don't think it ever will. As they say... "It is what it is".
-olllllllo-
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 11 16 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a cooool cooker there mike.

like the hanger addition at the top, good call.
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 11 16 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, is it open to ground on the bottom? Looks like it in the pic.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 11 16 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks olllllllo. Yeah one of these days I'm going to hang a slab of pork belly in there.

castrovillecowboy wrote:
Mike, is it open to ground on the bottom? Looks like it in the pic.

The firebox bottom is 1/4" plate with firebrick lined on top of that. There is an ash pan that sits on top of the firebrick. There's nothing that's open to ground.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: