FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brisket is killing me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rouxsels q

PostPosted: Thu May 05 16 10:41 pm    Post subject: Brisket is killing me Reply with quote

I've been doing whole brisket on and off for a few years, what bothers me is sometimes its amazing and sometimes its terrible and I try to get the same size and cook time for each one. I was told 225 for about 1.5 hours per lb or internal 195 and sometimes it is and sometimes its not. I love whole brisket in my opinion the cap is the best part and is always moist but seems like a majority of the time the meat stalls for hours at 170-180 and I get nervous it will over cook and pull it off. When I cut the flat even with internal at 185 its dry all the way through and brown. People have told me I need to leave it on longer which I don't see how the juices will come back into the meat. Anyone have any tips on how to keep the flat from drying out when cooking whole brisket? Im starting to think I should dump the thermometer and just go with feel like I do pork butt. I usually very lightly trim before applying rub.
jwilson

PostPosted: Thu May 05 16 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a thermometer placement issue. I always take my internal temp readings from the flat. I go to 195ish degrees and have never had an issue with dry meat....some people inject to keep the meat moist, I don't. Are you letting the brisket rest after you pull it from the smoker? This will allow the juices to redistribute throughout the brisket...and, you may be trimming to much of the fat off. Just a few thoughts...
rouxsels q

PostPosted: Thu May 05 16 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually wrap it and let it rest for a few hours, I do usually put a drip pan in from the start and was wondering if that would steam the meat or mess it up at all but I like to make a sauce with the drippings but I have seen people say let it go without one then put it in half way through. I have injected before but don't anymore.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu May 05 16 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 185° internal your brisket is not through rendering yet that is why it seems dry. most briskets require at least 200° before they have broken down and then there is the rest it needs to rest.
You could try cooking one my way and see how it goes for you.
Cook the brisket cap down till the middle portion of the flat reaches 165° / 170° then place it cap down in a restaurant pan and cover with foil. place the probe back in the flat through the foil and let it cook till it reaches 205° /210° at 205° probe the flat with a tooth pick to see if it is tender if not let it go to 210°.
Run your cooker between 250° /275° at this temp a 15 lb. packer will take about 8 hours to cook then add about 2 hours to rest so 10 to 12 hours total cook time.

The first hour of rest keep the brisket covered then open the foil to let the bark set, what you want is the brisket to rest down to about 160° to slice.

For select briskets with little to no marbling I will add one cup of beef broth to my pan to hep keep it moist.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
rouxsels q

PostPosted: Thu May 05 16 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the recipe I will try anything, people have told me leave it on to 200ish and it will get more tender but the guy who told me that brisket pulled great and the meat still had pink color mine was brown all the way through the flat already at 185 but the point was still pink in the middle and made great burnt ends. I'm going to give your recipe a try next week thanks for the info!
Tim_Abrahamson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 06 16 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that your meat quality can have a great influence on your product. There are many levels of choice and prime grades. Get in tight with your butcher or at least find a reliable and consistent source for your briskets.

Oklahoma Joe Longhorn
Big Green Egg
Former Pitmaster Gates and Sons BBQ (KC)
Rus_Bro

PostPosted: Sat May 07 16 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rouxsels q wrote:
thanks for the recipe I will try anything, people have told me leave it on to 200ish and it will get more tender but the guy who told me that brisket pulled great and the meat still had pink color mine was brown all the way through the flat already at 185 but the point was still pink in the middle and made great burnt ends. I'm going to give your recipe a try next week thanks for the info!

It seems like you have too much experience in what the inside of the meat @ 185* looks like. Wrap it at 165 in foil (or i kinda like KAM's covered pan thoughts) and dont touch it again till it hits atleast 202.

Iv had briskets all different shades of Grey/brown/pink. I wouldnt worry to much about that.

Best advice i can give, TRUST YOUR THERMOMETER ...

Good luck
rb
EastTennQcrew
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 08 16 2:20 am    Post subject: Final Product Reply with quote

I have been to several classes, and the one thing they all say, it's done when it's done. Everyone on here has said the same thing. Cook at what ever temp you like to cook. I have cooked at 218-290. I will vary depending on how much time I have available. The temp you wrap, if you wrap, and the temp you pull it off at are the biggest things.

One class the said if you cooked the meat low and slow the final temp would be lower when it is finished. And then if the meat is cook hot and fast, it will be done at a higher temp when it is finished. So far I have found that to be true.

I wrap at 165, pull off around the 198-205, by feel.
RandyE
texbbqpits
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 09 16 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my way but I pull at 185 and then foil and put in the cooler with top on for 30 minutes to an an. I t will continue to heat for 10-15 minutes and then alow the juices spread though out the meat Been working for me for 40 years and for my Dad for 40 years before me (H used butcher paper and a warming oven rather than a cooler. tom
Huey
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 28 16 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did two briskets (and two butts) on my WSM, and both came out perfectly.

I don't trim too much of the fat off, although the really large lump of fat gets trimmed down.

I use a full water pan of boiling water to start, and then I don't tend to add water. I only season it (Costco steak seasoning all over) right before the cook. I cook at 250 and pull at 195 degrees. Rest for 90 minutes, foiled. I place my thermometer between the flat and the point. Seems to average correctly.

I have never had a bad brisket. I use the Walmart Excel, which I think are Select grade. The best I've ever had was when the wife bought Prime grade by accident. I was angry at the expense, until I ate it. Then, not so angry. The quality does make a difference, but the Select has been outstanding, so I don't worry about it.

Good luck with your next one.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05 16 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few fine points to update from my original post... http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2654&highlight=brisket
There are many ways to cook brisket and the results may times are similar with just a few nuances. Use the way that works for you. Recently I have had great success with:
50/50 EVO and JD
Salt/pepper/garlic on the outside first followed by a yellow mustard slather. Cook at 225 degrees
Fat side down till the spices set (Stick to the meat) for about an hour.
Flip and smoke the rest of the time fat side up.
Cook to 200 degrees internal.
Let stand for about 45 minutes after you finish.
Cut against the grain and enjoy!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: