FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would you rent out your smoker?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucket
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 16 7:48 pm    Post subject: Would you rent out your smoker? Reply with quote

I've been thinking of building a new smoker to replace my old double barrel. Why? I'm bored? Just looking for something new? Maybe the excitement of a new project?

Anyway, the problem is that I haven't used the double barrel in about 3 years. I keep telling myself it's because it is hard to move around and the thin steel combined with the design makes it a very high maintenance cook.

Given the fact that I probably wouldn't use the new one enough to warrant the cost of the cooker, I thought maybe I could recoup some of the cost by renting it out.

Any thoughts?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 16 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were in the rental business then yes no problem because I would have substantial damage and cleaning deposits in place. The only people that I would let use my cookers now is close friends and a few family members. I have way too much time invested in my work to let someone mess it up.

Hybrid Cooker
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 16 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have anything approaching a commercial cooker, but Kevin's advice sounds very solid to me. There are a lot of wannabe's out there that think they know what they are doing, but in reality they don' know their butt from left center field.
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18 16 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson wrote:
but in reality they don' know their butt from left center field

Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18 16 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 in the yard right now. I would lend any one of them to close friends or family (if they lived closer,too). I wouldn't rent them to anyone I didn't know. Like KAM said, too much work to let someone else mess up.

I would however run it for someone if they wanted to rent the smoker - mainly because I enjoy the process, even more so when I can pack up and leave when I want. So I guess it's renting the smoker and operator. Plus I am picky about what is burned in each pit.

I don't think that is considered catering at that point?
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18 16 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be concerned about liability issues especially if you're not in the rental business to begin with. All it would take is someone getting burnt or getting food poison and they'd try to pin it back on the guy with the money, which is you.
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18 16 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Bacon wrote:
BigOrson wrote:
but in reality they don' know their butt from left center field

An old Midwestern phrase, CB. Fat fingers aside on the typing, means they don't know their butt from baseball.
Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02 16 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think long and hard about how much you like your smoker. I let a friend of mine barrow mine to cook for a friends wedding. I explained to him how it ran and how often it needed wood and what temp it like to run at. And low and behold rather than burning a small hot like I had told him to. He filled the fire box and shut down the aid vents and let it sit and smolder for the whole cook, and never checked the fire. I thought I was going to have to wash out and reseason my pit after that but I got lucky and aired it out for a few days and was able to cook some ribs and it did not hurt it to bad I got lucky.
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02 16 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To a close friend that respects and knows his way around a pit, yes. Anyone else, no. If I had the time to mentor someone that wanted to use my smoker, absolutely. I would be right there every step of the way. Good question.

--Dan
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03 16 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "loaned out" my 'scrapper' exactly twice....Both people I knew very well, both took the time to watch me cook on it.
Yes, I am commercial, but did not 'rely' on that unit, and since those who used it also contributed 'scrap' to build it, I was comfortable with that. From there, ZERO chance of someone using, renting, leasing one! Yes, the commercial aspect does come into play nowadays, BUT, I have also seen how people treat other peoples things [ zero respect ] all too often in this society. I have done the loan out thing with other items to people i knew and therefore somewhat trusted, but have been proven wrong on the trust all too often!
Renting it out to total strangers, without them signing insurance , liability forms, leaving giant deposit or C.C. etc. is quite the gamble nowadays.....This aint the world we grew up in!!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Sgt. Stel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04 16 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only team members that know their way around my pit like I do and who will treat it like I do. I've done it once.

Sgt. Stel
Custom Offset - USMC Special "Sarge"
T&K Gravity Feed, Medium
bucket
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05 16 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts. I guess I never really thought about someone being able to "break" a smoker. Figured the worst they could do was ruin the food that was in it.
daddy77

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10 16 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you rent out your smoker? Reply with quote

bucket wrote:
I've been thinking of building a new smoker to replace my old double barrel. Why? I'm bored? Just looking for something new? Maybe the excitement of a new project?

Anyway, the problem is that I haven't used the double barrel in about 3 years. I keep telling myself it's because it is hard to move around and the thin steel combined with the design makes it a very high maintenance cook. Other than that, I have not seen anything like it, although there was one which they had told us about when it comes to employment lawyers and employment law in general. For example, if you have a wrongful termination or illegal discrimination case on your hands, it might be helpful. If they want to go over there, it will not be a problem

Given the fact that I probably wouldn't use the new one enough to warrant the cost of the cooker, I thought maybe I could recoup some of the cost by renting it out.

Any thoughts?

I agree with all the other guys, if it's close friends or family then it's acceptable but to strangers, no way. You might as well just sell it or give it away. Or you could make the rent really really high. lol.

Last edited by daddy77 on Sat Mar 31 18 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat May 07 16 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food for thought...Above, on April 2nd I posted basically no......
On April 30th, I took my cabinet smoker along to a vending gig [ Masters in May in Appleton Wi ] as the bar that was hosting the event wanted to do the meats for a charity meal. The owner is a great guy, and I figured if I worked with his chef, what could go wrong, it was to raise money for a home for battered women and children - a great cause....Well, let me tell you what could go wrong.....
I gave him a detailed 'tutorial' on that specific smoker....He seasoned meats and loaded pit after I lit it and gave every detail I thought was possible, we discussed what I thought was every possible scenario....WRONG!!
I checked the pit a few times over night, even adding water as it holds about 15 gallons, and will burn that up on a long overnighter....In the morning I told him to again top off the water, and more details of what to look for on brisket and butt's as I was swamped making breakfasts for the 65 teams, Oh, and Myron Mixon himself Wink [ A proud moment as he actually ate it, and shook my hand....LOL!! ]
anyhow....The 'chef' stated they were all done and resting, and he had a few racks and some chickens he wanted for stock....I had no issue with that, even gave him a couple more splits etc....WELL.....When he was all done, he thought he would let the pit cool by opening the doors and going back into 'raunt......My line was interrupted by one of the organizers skipping in and saying "Tony, your pits on fire"...I laughed, thinking she was being a comedian and said "Of course it is, I am swamped"....She said "no - your OTHER pit"....I ran out of trailer to see what looked like the back of the raunt was ablaze!!! 12 foot flames shooting out the door - MASSIVE grease fire as all the water cooked off, and drippings [ gallons ] lit up!!! [ ever see a fat man sprint like Hussein Bolt??? It wasnt pretty I am sure, and I am still hurting ] The heat was so high the door wouldnt close!! the chef had left 2 disposable pans on the bottom shelf, and they were melting!! The magnetic flashlight was a pile of plastic on the ground, and the guru type computer box was dripping on top of that.....Yes. 911 was involved...No injuries, but this event could have been deadly!!!
Just today I had the pit professionally cleaned, sanitized and neutralized, new computer ordered express shipping, need to replace the gaskets and she will be good to go....
The owner immediately said he would pay for all the damages, BUT, I dont think I will ever be able to bring myself to do something like this again!! Even though I was there. 50 yards away, I couldnt be there every moment, and the worst occurred Embarassed Confused Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
I was floored when the warped door went back to original shape, and that there are zero cracks etc., but thinking back on how many people could have been injured or worse, makes me NOT want to think about it.
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
cowboy4life
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 07 16 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been a mechanic all of my adult life, it irritates me when someone asks to borrow a tool and that has spilled over to most of my stuff. i make it a habit not to borrow and i have no intention of loaning.

now if they have collateral, like a harley, a corvette or a cute little blond i could hang onto i might think about it for a sec. lol

#5 LIAR
EastTennQcrew
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 08 16 2:05 am    Post subject: Rentals Reply with quote

I have seen our scout groups rent grills from local rental places. And they are generally pretty rough. Some times because the weren't much to start with. But also because of they way they have been treated.

I would also worry about the insurance, and the waivers you would have to create for everyone to sign, and then arguments about how clean, clean is when it is brought back.

RandyE
Catfish
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 13 16 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO. I would stop ther but to back it up, a friend of Maine rented his Land 60 two times. The first time, the renters used it to smoke shrimp and fish and did not clean it out afterwards. It was summertime and when he got it back, the shrimp and fish stick to the grates was severely spoiled to the point where he said he had the dry heaves trying to pressure was that crap out. Then he had to do two days of just a low fire to rid the cooker of the smell.

The second time, the cooker was hit by a car in the firebox caving the dor in.

No. I won't rent or loan my smoker.
Catfish
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 13 16 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO. I would stop ther but to back it up, a friend of Maine rented his Land 60 two times. The first time, the renters used it to smoke shrimp and fish and did not clean it out afterwards. It was summertime and when he got it back, the shrimp and fish stick to the grates was severely spoiled to the point where he said he had the dry heaves trying to pressure was that crap out. Then he had to do two days of just a low fire to rid the cooker of the smell.

The second time, the cooker was hit by a car in the firebox caving the dor in.

No. I won't rent or loan my smoker.
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 13 16 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mentioned it in another post, but my main reason for not putting an axle or even some casters under my 1000 lb pit was to avoid people even asking to borrow/rent it. I busted my ass building my cooker and if a fire is being lit in it, you better believe I'm gonna be standing there on my back porch next to it. Sad to say, but people just don't generally take good care of things if it's not theirs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: