FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello,Helloo,Hellloooooo!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zski
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22 16 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read all five pages and have not seen the question asked that is most concerning to me. Will the new upgrade let us know if we should foil or not foil and whether we should smoke fat cap up or down? Anticipating an answer.

Traeger 075
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27 16 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats funny......there was more to this thread earlier in the day.........seems posts are missing mysteriously.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
Chuck
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28 16 6:12 am    Post subject: 80.000.00 Reply with quote

that is no sh**
what happen to the http://www.siteprice.org/website-worth/thesmokering.com and every thing else that was on here today in the am.
HOW many people will get the boot today

Chuck
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28 16 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 80.000.00 Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:
that is no sh**
what happen to the http://www.siteprice.org/website-worth/thesmokering.com and every thing else that was on here today in the am.
HOW many people will get the boot today

Chuck

I am glad to see ya posting Chuck. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28 16 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to Feldon's post?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28 16 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing freedom of speech beyond religion and politics is becoming hard here on the ring.
I got an email from Morgan last night stating that he has been banned. He did not go into specifics but would like for me to post his email address for him if anyone is interested in contacting him.
morganfeldon@gmail.com

Hybrid Cooker
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28 16 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
I am guessing freedom of speech beyond religion and politics is becoming hard here on the ring.
I got an email from Morgan last night stating that he has been banned. He did not go into specifics but would like for me to post his email address for him if anyone is interested in contacting him.
morganfeldon@gmail.com

Man, if that's true that Feldon (Morgan) was banned that is a load of sh*t. I read his post there was nothing offensive about it. Yes, he added the picture of his interpretation of the received email but what's the BFD? I think this entire post is a good honest discussion from those that absolutely love the Ring and wanting it to stay alive and be upgraded to common current software standards.

It seems given the owners comments that the Ring is much more than a forum and existed long before the forums were added shows where his head is, in my opinion. The forum is a distraction at best and an irritant he tolerates. Hell, it's his website he can do whatever he wants to include banning a fine supporter of the Ring that didn't need to be banned.

It's a common political strategy of a certain parties playbook. We say we are all about the first amendment and are all inclusive of other's views......until they differ from us.

A sad day for the Ring. Feldon go in peace brother.

--Dan
nksdad2007
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28 16 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am confused. Where is the higher traffic part of the site? The most current i found was a 2 year old article that was updated last June. Am I missing something here? If there is more knowledge that can accessed besides the forum, I would love to have the chance to explore it.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28 16 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Garry pointed out earlier, the basis of the "Smoke Ring" was something that was prevalent in the early days of Internet browsing, and that was a web ring. Each participating site in a web ring would post a link that would redirect you to the next participant, and so on.

Here's an example; http://www.bbqgaskets.com/

Just scroll to the bottom and you'll see some links to navigate around to the other members of the ring.

He (Garry) mentioned that the forum was provided as an additional feature. IMO the forum is a greater asset in terms of BBQ knowledge but unless you're clicking on the advertisers links it doesn't pay for itself. The forum software is free but the hosting and bandwidth are not. As jeepdad pointed out, it's Garry's web site and he can do whatever the heck he wants... which is true for any website and forum. The limitations of free speech is up to the discretion of the owner and I agree with that somewhat but in this case our criticism is for the betterment of the site. Unfortunately it seems that the forum is looked upon from the owner as a nuisance. It saddens me that is the case. It's the members of the forum and their participation that drives things around here but if the owner doesn't regard that as an asset then what's the point? This place use to be thriving and bustling, but as CB noted in his opening of this thread, a whole lot of folks are MIA. The reasons may be varied but I don't believe for a second that social media should get the highest percentage of blame. We've tried to point out the deficiencies and have offered suggestions all in the effort to help out, but if the forum is viewed upon as a liability, then there's no motivation to do better. All I can tell you is that if a web site doesn't keep up with the times then it's doomed for dormancy or extinction.

I'd like to point out that we've lost another member's participation but that's due to self-exile. He basically had enough. Part of me is proud that he stands for his principles but the other part is saddened because his positive outlook and support around here is now gone. God speed my friend.
Riskdude
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29 16 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this is not the beginning of, or the middle of, the end of the forum and all the postings past and future. Although I do not post all that much, I read the forum every day and I look forward to seeing what everyone is up to. I have not met anyone and I only spoke with one member once, I think of everyone as an extended family. Ya, I know families go through these sorts of things from time to time so I hope that we take a step back, look at the intent (as I read it, it is to help communicate and share knowledge and friendship), and move on in a positive direction. There are many names I no longer see and that is sad because they contributed much over the years.

Crossing my fingers that whatever is going on is resolved peacefully.

Riskdude (Mark)
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29 16 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it up with he who beareth the heavy hand.
Garry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29 16 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feldon's account was deactivated because

1. He shared a private message. There is a reason it's called a 'private message".

2. He included as his response a picture of a child giving the finger. I can give the finger too.

3. I deleted his two posts and the next day he put them back.

4. There are no first amendment rights here. It's a private resource. Follow the rules like you do in every other private facility.

The site price link estimates the annual revenue as $1400 and prices the site at 10X that revenue. It is only off by several orders of magnitude.

As for selling the forum separately from the site, the forum doesn't exist without the domain thesmokering.com.

I have been dealing with some personal issues for the past two years that are occupying most of my time. It will culminate on May 10 so I will have more time to spend after that.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29 16 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old school - new it's the same old story. It is MY Ball.
I hope the best for the forums...
cowboy4life
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29 16 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garry wrote:
Feldon's account was deactivated because

1. He shared a private message. There is a reason it's called a 'private message".

2. He included as his response a picture of a child giving the finger. I can give the finger too.

3. I deleted his two posts and the next day he put them back.

if the dwindling numbers and other resources dont kill the forums, monkey s--t like this definitely will. if you are going to delete posts and ban people for posting, you may as well deal the death blow and make it read only.

i used to enjoy this forum, i learned a lot from you guys, but now i regret returning to witness this pissing match.

Gary, simple answers would have ended this much quicker than the snarky comments and the resulting ban. a simple "no its not for sale" and " im not updating, it is what it is" answers all questions and concerns to this point. it could be considered a final comment on the topic and it could be closed.

imagine what it looks like to new people who drop in for the first time and decide to check out an active topic and find this. i would be afraid to post anything for fear of getting the boot because "there is no first amendment here". if they dont use the website / forums because of the drama and fear of being removed, they arent here to click the ads and links.

well there are my thoughts on it. i used to be proud to tell people i hung out here and it was the best info around. when this no longer serves what im looking for ill move on.

Cowboy

#5 LIAR
Garry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29 16 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most new people are in the BBQ sections looking for information about cooking, not whining in the Off Topic section.
Garry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29 16 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't banned anyone for posting about barbecue or barbecue related topics and I haven't deleted a single BBQ post. That's what this forum is here for. We could just delete the Off Topic section altogether and keep the forum on topic.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29 16 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we should all just be happy gary stooped low enough to reply to us 'common folk' [ my opinion based on posts from another social media site] .....You deleted my reply / post too, and for all I know others also....You going to ban [ or 'block' me for simply stating facts here too??] Nothing political, no particulars of what the post said, nothing i am aware of against the Ring policies, just my opinions and actual facts.
"Most new people are in the BBQ sections looking for information about cooking, not whining in the Off Topic section" With over 4,000 hits to this post, you may be off by just a touch here too.....
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30 16 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be back ....Im going to go put my rubber boots on....its starting to get pretty deep in here.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30 16 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better bring waders CB regular boot might not be high enough Wink
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 01 16 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we all know what the average regular member wants from the forum, so the question is what Garry wants or expects.
He says he has personal problems that will end soon and
I can respect that. In the past two yrs I lost my mother to a
brain tumor, my father to prostate cancer, a home I built thirty yrs. ago to fire, and a buss. of eighteen yrs to the economy.
Excuses are cheap. Life goes on...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: