FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dutch oven and probe thermometer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garmp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29 13 11:43 pm    Post subject: dutch oven and probe thermometer Reply with quote

Being new to dutch oven cooking I want to make a beef roast. Cooking instructions I found said to use a probe thermometer and cook until internal temp is 120. The instructions showed how to insert the probe and shake the wire through the "Slot" so the lid fits firmly. Well my dutch oven has no slot! My concern is that if I gently rest the lid on the wire will that let to much heat escape and give me uneven cooking and secondly will the wire contact with the cast iron cause faulty readings on the thermometer? If I wrap the wire in foil to prevent contact with the oven that will create a larger gap from which to loose heat.
Maybe there's a different thermometer? If so which? What does every one else use? Or just learn by experience. That could be costly, with the price of beef and all.

Thanks
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30 13 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garmp, my biggest concern would be crushing the wire and ruining the probe.
I have never used a probe when cooking a roast in my dutch oven, when it is fork tender its done for me.
Good luck with your cook. Very Happy I will be watching for some finished pics. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30 13 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use therms either but just check as needed. Most of my DO cooking is with charcoal and not in the oven so I would worry about the hot coals around the probe wire as well as the lid crushing the wire. I pretty much go with the fork test on mine as well. Hope yours turns out well.
garmp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30 13 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here's my concern. Watch this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmW0CAsnXao.

This is what I'm trying to do, but don't know how. The video doesn't explain the thermometer question, unless I missed it.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30 13 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People cook for over 100 years before the meat thermometer became a practical option.

They are cooking a salt crusted prime rib.

1" of salt in the bottom, put in the meat, surround and cover with salt.

He used 2 x double rings of charcoal on the lid plus one single ring, with about 40 briquettes on the lid, he probably burned for 55 - 60 minutes, per load.

So he is up in the 2.5 - 3 hours of cooking on a 6 or 7 bone prime rib.

He was aiming for 133° and a 5° carry, while tented.

Don't worry about the therm. Cook as is for 2 hours, then probe, you'll probably be at 105 - 110°, add another load of coals, monitor it every 10 or 15 minutes.

It will all be good!

I still work here!
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30 13 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought we were talking about a regular roast not a prime rib roast. I've never done a prime rib in the DO but I'm thinking that this will be my Easter cook this year. I wouldn't worry too much about probing the beef, I'd just do a quick check when I changed coals and go from there. I think I would tent at around 115*-118* to get to more of a medium rare middle and medium ends.

Looks great though. If you do one you better post pics Very Happy
deeptrail

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31 16 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was looking for DO's recently, now I'm after some recipes that I can use so have been wading through the old posts seeing what I can find. This sounds like a cool idea.

My Recent Thread: viewtopic.php?t=69422
Old Dave
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01 16 4:26 am    Post subject: Camp Chef Camp Oven Reply with quote

To duplicate that video cook, you would need a Camp Chef brand camp oven as they do have the thermometer slot in the ovens. I have one and do use the slot but only for checking the internal temperature of the oven. I have never tried running a probe to the meat in that oven but I would think it would work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: