FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How would you do this

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankncali
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01 16 6:46 am    Post subject: How would you do this Reply with quote

So I was asked to cook/cater for a company superbowl lunch this wednesday. They wanted to do something different.

25 people..

Menu
PP Sliders - 2 per plate
2 ribs per plate
BBQ Beans
Slaw

Everyone eats at the same time.
Right behind the business past vendors have setup an ez up,
and served from there.

I have done a few small things but nothing during the middle of the week.
I need to cook the PP and ribs and make sure everything is hot or cold.
I plan on cooking the butts and wrapping in foil. Keeping them whole and reheat them whole.
Is that ok?

I don't think ribs reheat that good but am not sure. I was thinking about cooking ribs fresh that AM. Mine take about 4 hours for St Louis style.

I can get my smoker (treager) to the office no problem and could cook there totally on the day or cook at home and them setup and serve there with the smoker to keep things warm.

How would you do this... Any suggestions?
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01 16 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you double wrap the butts when they are cooked and put them in a Cambro or Carlisle if you have one, or in a preheated cooler, fill the cooler with a gallon of cold water and 5 gallons of boiling water. empty out the water, pack the meat in cooler, cover with towels or blankets.

So if you are going to move the cooker to the site, cook the butts the evening / night before, butts will hold and still be too hot to touch at about the 5 hour mark, cook your beans in a dutch oven, under the butts. Prep your slaw and have that ready to go.

If that allows you to cook the ribs the day of, you should be good to go!

Just a thought, but cooking a couple of butts would give you enough for spare sliders, you might add extra buns so you can load them up on perhaps 3 or 4 sliders. Getting a couple of big butts, will serve 12 - 14 people, regular sized samiches, you'll get around 36 x 2 oz sliders from a 9 lb butt, but I think that 2 Oz is an overstuffed roll, don't stuff them, make more instead! JM2C.

I still work here!
frankncali
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01 16 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy

Thanks for your thoughts.
I was not real sure on the quantity for the sliders but had the same thought of 2oz might be too much.

We are going to start putting the sliders together about 5 til serving time. Maybe get about half ready. There will be two of us serving so I think we can get everyone through in a reasonable time.

Looking like good weather which is good. I thought about doing the butts today but weather was terrible

Just going to put my big boy undies on and start cooking early or through the night.

I am not sure how long the butts would stay hot and good if I finish them early.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01 16 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a Cambro or Carlisle, but I don't have enough fingers and toes to tell you the number of times, I've put double wrapped butts in a warmed cooler, surrounded them with towels, and found them at or above 165° 5 hours later, and then pulled them with double gloves, cotton under latex, as the butts are still too hot to handle without the cotton gloves, doubled latex just doesn't do the job.

If you have a Treager and can sleep at night you should be good to go, I'd give yourself 1:15 / lb or 1:00 / lb if you want, plus an hour for it to cool down, plus travel time to the work site, then work back from serving, plus 5 plus warm up of the pit, plus the cook time for the butts, then start an hour ahead of that ], get the butts on and go to bed and lay awake all night worrying if you are going to do it all right.

If you've cooked butts on the Treager before can you remember roughly how long they took? The only Treager I've cooked on was one of the bigger commercial trailers, (I think it was a CM 200 with duel burners), but it was 5 or 6 years ago, they've updated the controls on Treagers since then from the old Smoke, Heat, Cook, (or whatever the old controls said). I was early on that cook as it cooked quicker than I gave it time for. I ended up having to slow the cook down.

So if you know roughly what it took on a butt of X weight we can get you in the ball park on that cooker.

12:00 - 4:30 (rib cook)= 7:30 - 1:00 travel = 6:30 - 1:00 cool down and loading = 5:30 - 9:00 (or 11:15) = 8:30 (or 5:45). So if you kno it cooks at 1:00 / lb start the cook at 8:0 ish the evening before.

I still work here!
frankncali
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02 16 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roughly because as you know its done when its done..but roughly 8 hours for a 8-9pound butt.

I fully understand the lay awake part! Very Happy

I think I am going to go with the heated cooler idea as I think it should work and will allow for transport of the ribs too.

I think I have decided
Cook PP through the night.
Get ribs on by 7:30 ... my St Louis usually take 3.5 to 4 and I foil.
Get them on and when almost donel I will transport everything to the site. Its about 18 minutes away. Get there and refire smoker or take a separate one.

Get everything setup and unfoil and finish ribs there. Mine only need about another 30 once they come out of the foil.

Beans will be hot and put on sterno..
Coleslaw will be cold to serve in something (probably doubled pans or double bowls. Cooler before that.

I have one electric food warmer like this one http://wholesalefoodequipmentny.com/products/wincoimages/Winco%20FW-S500.jpg

Will use the above for the pulled pork and a separate chafing for the beans.

Its going to be overkill but I am going with 2 large cans of beans and I have a good doctoring recipe.
Cole Slaw .. mommas recipe!

thanks for your help ..
frankncali
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08 16 3:35 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks SoEzzy

Things went pretty good..

Only a couple issues at all.

One it was cold .. like 40-45 degrees, in the shade with a little breeze

Two - couldnt get the bun temp right. We didnt have a good way to not serve a cold bun. I heated them but then they got a bit dry and hard.

Everything ended up really good and thanks for the help!
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08 16 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome!

If you do it again in similar weather, think about steam to keep a limited number of buns warm and moist, a steamer table with burners underneath, then add buns as the top ones get removed.

I laugh in the face of cold in the 40's, I've been down to single figures °F before now, and served pretty much the same menu, all you could see of people eating, were noses with buns under them and sunglasses above them.

I still work here!
frankncali
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10 16 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
You're welcome!

If you do it again in similar weather, think about steam to keep a limited number of buns warm and moist, a steamer table with burners underneath, then add buns as the top ones get removed.

I laugh in the face of cold in the 40's, I've been down to single figures °F before now, and served pretty much the same menu, all you could see of people eating, were noses with buns under them and sunglasses above them.

LOL here in socal 40s is parka territory and if you add a breeze
forget about it!! Very Happy
the_que_man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18 16 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

How much pulled pork did you put on each sliders?
frankncali wrote:
Thanks SoEzzy

Two - couldnt get the bun temp right. We didnt have a good way to not serve a cold bun. I heated them but then they got a bit dry and hard.

kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19 16 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

frankncali wrote:
Thanks SoEzzy

40-45 degrees would have been nice this past Sunday. About 10 degrees and we were vending on the middle of a frozen lake, I shouldn't say we though, I fell on the ice last Thursday and broke my wrist and tore something in my shoulder, so I towed the vending trailer out onto the lake and then sat in the cab with square dashboard app watching the sales on the square register in the trailer.

Luckily our daughter helped out and the next one our son is going to help out.

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
FreebirdTPark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19 16 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get better! If you were old like me, you would have broke your hip. lol
frankncali
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26 16 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

About 1.5 ounces.. Some maybe half and some 2 ounce.
I measured out 1.5 beforehand and it looked fine. During the making some might have went a little high or low.

must have been good.. I had 2 people want to book for parties at their houses.

the_que_man wrote:
How much pulled pork did you put on each sliders?
frankncali wrote:
Thanks SoEzzy

frankncali
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26 16 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

Way too cold.. I moved to SoCal and love the weather!! The BBQ is getting better too!

Get well
I recently finished up my last physical therapy session for a broken arm(broken near wrist) and banged up leg and back.

kurtsara wrote:
frankncali wrote:
Thanks SoEzzy

40-45 degrees would have been nice this past Sunday. About 10 degrees and we were vending on the middle of a frozen lake, I shouldn't say we though, I fell on the ice last Thursday and broke my wrist and tore something in my shoulder, so I towed the vending trailer out onto the lake and then sat in the cab with square dashboard app watching the sales on the square register in the trailer.

Luckily our daughter helped out and the next one our son is going to help out.
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: