FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Water Oak and Live Oak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catfish
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10 16 5:26 am    Post subject: Water Oak and Live Oak Reply with quote

Last year I had the opportunity to get some water oak and live oak and have really become a fan of both woods for slow smoking. I usually test my wood by using it in my Buck stove. After testing both I found that after seasoning the wood for a year, both produce a good, hot coal bed that is easy to regulate the temp on. The coals are large and solid and if I close down the dampers, the coals will cool down some and opening the dampers will bring them back to a solid red. Armed with that, I have smoked briskets twice in the past month, and my Lang acts just like the Buck stove. I will use blackjack oak and hickory with the water or live oak during the first two hours of my cook for the flavor I want, then switch to water or live oak alone. The water and live oaks have a mild, sweet oak smoke and the briskets turned out perfect. It was easy to hold the rack temp at 250 because the heat was primarily the coals. I would just throw a good split every hour or so or maybe two as the night got colder to keep my coal bed fresh. If you have the opportunity to get either of those woods, I recommend you give them a try. I used a lot less wood cooking overnight by using them and the results were great.
biker.chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10 16 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post.
So the life oak has a similar flavor as the other oaks?

I confess I had to google every type of oak you mentioned.
We don't that many varieties up here.
EAT BACON
Catfish
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10 16 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The live oak actually adds a milder flavor to the meat. Catches fire quickly (once seasoned) and hardly any smoke. The coastal and barrier island BBQ cookers use it almost exclusively because that's about all they have. I really like it but it's not as strong as red oak.
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10 16 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a lot of (free) water oak (a species of red oak) for smoking when I lived in rural Southeast Louisiana. I didn't care for the flavor profile of live oak (a species of white oak) as much personally. Pecan was my other personal choice for locally available smoking wood when I lived there.
Catfish
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10 16 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The live oak actually adds a milder flavor to the meat. Catches fire quickly (once seasoned) and hardly any smoke. The coastal and barrier island BBQ cookers use it almost exclusively because that's about all they have. I really like it but it's not as strong as red oak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: