FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A tale of two Therms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phil c
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Feb 07 2016    Post subject: A tale of two Therms Reply with quote

I needed a new thermometer so being a frugal sort (read cheap) I bought one of the Lavatools Javelin Pros. Around 1/2 the cost of a Thermapen.
Putting it and my Thermepen through their paces side by side

Probe, Both have the same length probe, The Javelins skinny end is a bit longer.

Display. The Javelin has a slightly larger display and a bit bolder LED display, It also has a light.

Function. Both read identical on temps both boiling water and Ice. the Thermapen settles down a tick quicker, but the Javelin has a 1/10 degree display.

Storage. Both are nearly the same size and weight. The Javelin has a hole in the case so it could be put on a lanyard. and it also has a magnet built in so you can stick it almost anywhere.

Overall I really like the Lavaworks Javelin Pro. I think it has some great advantages over the Thermapen. I'll know more after this weekends cook.
SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Feb 07 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that magnets and hot pits, don't work well together while attaching electronics to a metal fire box, radiating 800° temperatures.

Don't ask me how I know this, I'll never tell! Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Feb 08 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen the latest greatest Thermapen?

I'm ordering a pair tonight, auto-rotating display, Auto Backlight, slop resistant. They are nice.

My last 2 thermapens have lasted my over 8 years in a commercial environment with employees handling them. (read; Rough on equipment that they didn't personally pay for)
phil c
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Feb 08 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after using both the Thermapen and the Javelin pro side by side this weekend I cannot say that there is a functional difference.

I will give the nod to the Javelin overall due to ease of read ( larger bolder numbers and built in light) and ease of use magnet, hole for lanyard) and price

The themapen is a great piece of equipment and there is no way I can call it bad, But The Lavaworks Javelin Pro will be the one I buy again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: