FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Almost afraid to ask...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Kenshin
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25 12 11:14 pm    Post subject: Almost afraid to ask... Reply with quote

... but what do you all think of Steve (Raichlen? I'm spelling the name wrong for sure)???

The author of the BBQ Bible and a bunch of other Q-books, and host of BBQ U and Primal Grill on 'those' TV stations.

Got my own opinion. Want to hear yours.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26 12 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've watched him before and he don't strike me as being anything great. Just another TV Cook with a book.
Much better on YouTube for free.
BBQ Pit Boys and Betty's Kitchen are my favorite channels.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26 12 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailor Kenshin, I picked up one of his books years ago, it was a decent intro to BBQ, although nothing revolutionary.

I still thumb through from time to time for a recipe idea and change things around to suit my taste.

Never saw his show.
Sailor Kenshin
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26 12 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarhead wrote:
I've watched him before and he don't strike me as being anything great. Just another TV Cook with a book.

Those are both on YouTube? Thanks; I'll look for them.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26 12 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my view he's more of a griller than a smoker for the most part.

That said I have two or three of his books, and I enjoy adapting his recipes to smoking, most of the time you can take any cookbook and find good or bad in it, depending on your knowledge of your pit and how it cooks.

I still work here!
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26 12 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man is making a darn good living out of my hobby, living the life most of us would love. I give him points for that. His cooking is a little too "fancy" for me. The only thing I cant stand is the soaking of wood chips before using them for smoking. But I do watch him.
Smoke Hollow #5
Lang 48 D
Acorn Komado
And a couple of Weber kettles
Sailor Kenshin
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27 12 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarhead wrote:

You are my new best friend.

The Pit Boys are awesome. As soon as I get the gear I'm making Potato Bombs.
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27 12 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

animal wrote:
The man is making a darn good living out of my hobby, living the life most of us would love. I give him points for that. His cooking is a little too "fancy" for me. The only thing I cant stand is the soaking of wood chips before using them for smoking. But I do watch him.

+1

He allegedly took a trip around the world researching BBQ type cooking in other cultures. He tries to take what your normal backyard griller can accomplish and try to teach them how to take it to another level. That's laudable, but I surpassed that level about 15 years ago. I watch the shows I haven't seen, but I rarely learn anything I don't already know.

I will say that he marketed a line of grilling accessories that were of surprisingly good quality. I bought his rib rack (sure wish I hadn't given that one away, it's better than the one I own now), his mopping bucket and mop, and his oyster grilling grate (another one I gave away to a friend that grills oysters a lot more than I do). You could find them at Bed, Bath and Beyond in the summertime. Don't know if they still carry them or not. I moved away from our local store and haven't been in there for a long time. Last time I was there was after Christmas, because my in-laws had given me a gift card large enough to purchase the all-clad 12" skillet I had been coveting for a couple of years, so they didn't even have BBQ stuff in stock that time of year.
PaulOinMA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28 12 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbeque USA is a pretty good book.

Can't stand his TV show. As posted, it's a lot of grilling. Also, can't stand the set, drum background music, and photography.
1MoreFord
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28 12 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received his beer can chicken cookbook one year for Christmas. Literally half the book was a waste of good paper. I don't need to re-read how to put charcoal in the grill and light the coals and let all the briqs get lit before starting the cook at the start of every recipe. The left hand page of each recipe contained this and similar info that should have been presented once at the beginning of the book. Of course then the book would have 1/2 as thick and it was overpriced to start with and had they left out half the paper even my well intentioned bbq/grilling illiterate friend wouldn't have bought it. Laughing
Swamp Mama's
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28 12 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of him, but just wanted to thank Gunny for the Betty's Kitchen tip. I watch all of the BBQ Pit Boys videos, but hadn't ran across Betty's yet. Thanks.

Razz
Masterbuilt 40
Masterbuilt 30
Weber 22.5 Gold
GeorgeH
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28 12 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find his show interesting although I have to agree that he mostly grills food (and he in turn calls it BBQ). He traveled all over the world looking for BBQ. Of course, most of what he found is grilled food because true BBQ is really only found in the United States. That said, he does occasionally cook low and slow but doesn't seem to have all that much experience with it. On the other hand, his grilled food is sometimes innovative because of his influence from other countries.

George
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15 12 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have his books. I like hard copies of recipes in case the lights go out and i need a reference. Much like how or why i buy most books, plus my kids like cooking with me, and if for some reason my ticket is punched early, that is part of my legacy.

So come to find out the guy graduated from the same college that my wife went to. Which is a very nice and expensive private college. He and his staff catered the college's centennial celebration a few years ago. Pretty damn good food. He had a couple large smokers out back of the service tent. I asked to meet the guy and had even brought my books for signing but apparently he set the staff up and went somewhere else.
#3 LIAR
Sailor Kenshin
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16 12 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting story!
SmokinBlues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20 13 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of his books when I first started getting into bbq and was put off by how pretentious his recipes were. I don't mind an occasional exotic twist in a recipe but when almost every recipe calls for a bunch of snobbish ingredients I very quickly lose interest.
Sailor Kenshin
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20 13 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokinBlues wrote:
I bought one of his books when I first started getting into bbq and was put off by how pretentious his recipes were. I don't mind an occasional exotic twist in a recipe but when almost every recipe calls for a bunch of snobbish ingredients I very quickly lose interest.

Laughing
Divambla

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12 15 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Youtube as a prime source to know BBQ...Its a free one so everyone loves it and importantly visual learning is much easier than the textual...I recommend Ytube for the newbies too... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookbooks All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: