FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20 - 22 lb Turkey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChargersSB

PostPosted: Nov 24 2015    Post subject: 20 - 22 lb Turkey Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

So I just received my brand new 22" WSM. I have previous experience using an 18" knockoff of a WSM, but it started falling apart.

I will be doing a 20-22 lb turkey, but don't know where to start. I have only smoked a turkey once a couple of years ago and it was much smaller. What temp range should I do (325?), how long will that size take (of course time is only an estimate), what brine is the best, do I use a rub after I brine, should I cover the entire bird in foil part way through the smoke to prevent the skin from burning etc?

I fired up the smoker last week to do a burn off and will be firing it up one more time with some bacon or some other high fat food to season it as best I can before I use it for Thanksgiving.

Side note: This thing is amazing!!! I got it going and didn't have to do anything for hours and then I went to bed, so I am sure it still went for more hours after that.

Happy Turkey Day!!! Thanks.
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Nov 24 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your new toy. You're gonna love it! For some good Turkey advice and an excellent brine, try Smokin Okie's brine. Lot's of good info Here. Good luck!
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
ChargersSB

Thanks, I'll check that out. I came across this brine too from another forum. I think this person seasons with salt, pepper and garlic powder after brining as well. How much salt do you think should be used in the seasoning? I don't want the turkey to taste salty.

Jack Daniels Maple Syrup Turkey
Container large enough to brine your turkey in (a 5 gallon food grade container works well for large birds)
2 cups maple syrup
1 cup bourbon
1 tablespoon pickling spice
Remainder of container filled with salt water mixture with ½ cup table salt per gallon of water (you can also add apples oranges etc.)
Ice can be added to brine to insure safe temperatures
Brine in refrigerator for 24 - 36 hours, rinse bird and allow to air dry in the refrigerator overnight
Season cavity, place carrots, celery, pierced lemon and anything else you desire in cavity.
Butter and season skin
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

Definitely no more than 1 cup salt per gallon of water/liquid. I shoot for around 3/4 cup per gallon. And sugar is a great addition as well. My standard brine for flying things is -

2 Gal Water
1 1/2 Cup Salt
1 Cup Sugar

A lot of brines are 1 Gal water, 1C Salt, and 1C Sugar (optional). Adjust the quantities to suit your own taste.

SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

1 x Gal Water
1 x 8 lb bag of ice
1 1/2 Cup Salt
1 Cup Sugar

This is mine, it works the same as Bugs, but it cools down quicker, boil the water add the salt and sugar stir till it disolves, take it off the heat allow to cool for 10 minutes, add the bag of ice, makes 2 gallons of brine.

I still work here!
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

I've tried several brine recipes but I always keep going back to this --> Maple and Brown Sugar Brine
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

Run your pan dry and foiled and place the bird in a pan on the grate. Maintain 300°/325° and you should be looking at 5 to 6 hours. I just cooked a 19.75 lb. Butterball in about 5 hours.
If your bird starts to looking too dark tent it to finish it off.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
ChargersSB

PostPosted: Nov 26 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. I decided to use this apple brine recipe I found. I picked up the turkey yesterday and it was close to 20lbs. I just doubled the brine recipe and it was just enough to cover the bird. I started brining it last night and I will rinse it tonight and let it air dry overnight. Tomorrow I am going to try and keep the smoker at 325 - 350. Before I put the turkey on I was thinking of rubbing it in butter with some finely chopped rosemary and orange zest mixed in. Do I need to cover the turkey in foil for the first part at all? What is the estimate on time usually, 20 min./lb?

k.a.m you suggested that a turkey that size might take between 5 and 6 hours? Should I tent with foil at the beginning or towards the end of the cook, or only if needed at the end of the cook?
suckaass
BBQ Pro

At those temps, I would figure around 15 min/lb.

I wouldn't tent at the start; just do like k.a.m. says, if it starts to look too dark, tent it to finish it off.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

suckaass wrote:
At those temps, I would figure around 15 min/lb.

I wouldn't tent at the start; just do like k.a.m. says, if it starts to look too dark, tent it to finish it off.

Yep cook it open and if the bird starts to look too dark towards the end tent it early. If it is looking happy let it cook and tent to rest for about 30 minutes or so.

Hybrid Cooker
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

Also consider covering the bird with butter-soaked cheesecloth during the cook. I haven't tried it yet, but some people swear by it for crispy skin.

xring01
BBQ Fan

I just mixed up some okie brine, added 1 whole onion and 1 whole apple..

Waiting for to cool
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

I have used an olive oil soaked cheesecloth covering the turkey starting out many times,. Then the last couple hours pull the cloth and she gets that beautiful Mahogany color. But like someone else said butter will likely work too I've just always used OO. Best of luck brother.

--Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: