FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wood type for Turkey for Gumbo? And another question...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Nov 19 2015    Post subject: Wood type for Turkey for Gumbo? And another question... Reply with quote

I'm wondering if or how much the wood type changes the flavor profile of Gumbo. I usually use Hickory when I smoke my birds, but since this will be my first smoked Turkey Gumbo (not my first Gumbo though), are other wood types preferable? I'm just making a sausage/Turkey Gumbo. No seafood.

And I'll use the WSM, if that makes any difference.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.

Last edited by BUGSnBBQ on Nov 20 2015; edited 1 time in total
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Nov 19 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like pecan with fish or fowl. Delicate smoke flavor without overpowering the meat.
xring01
BBQ Fan

I used Pecan on a recent Chicken that I used for gumbo.

I liked it..

For me, Pecan is pretty hard to find. Not many Pecan trees in CA... Gotta buy it at specialty BBQ Stores, they are proud of it.

I would think any lighter wood work fine...
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

Hickory All the Way, Jeff! Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

I really like Alder and Maple with fish or fowl. Delicate sweet smoke flavor without overpowering the meat.

I still work here!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

I would look at it like this. It is not so much for a particular wood flavor but more for a deep rich smoke flavor in the gumbo. I started smoking my birds because I could not get heavily smoked sausage here locally so I got my smoked flavor the only way I knew how. Very Happy
I usually use oak or hickory because it is plentiful for me. If I am going to eat the bird for a meal then I may use apple or cherry chunks. I use those sparingly because my supply is limited.

Hybrid Cooker
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

Hmmm...So...So far it's a tie ball-game, Hickory vs Pecan.

Sorry SoEzzy, I've used Maple and it really doesn't float my boat, taste wise.

I generally prefer a somewhat strong smoke taste to my food (like Hickory and Mesquite), but I also like Pecan a lot. I have a good source for Pecan, so I'm thinking I might use a Hickory and Pecan mix.

I can't honestly say I've ever mixed the two intentionally. I probably have, but not really sure.

Good plan? Dumb plan? Overthinking this??? I just want to have a good plan in place because this will be the usual big batch - 10 to 12 quarts (or more) - and I don't want to screw it up. I freeze quart portions so our kids can fight over it to see who gets the most to take home Laughing Laughing

Yeah, I'm overthinking this Laughing

SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

That's no problem Bugs, that leaves more for those that like it and can get it! Wink Laughing Wink

I can't get Hickory or Pecan at reasonable rates and Oak is pretty rare round here too!

Fruit woods abound due to there being orchards through the valley, but nut woods are few and far between! Sad

I still work here!
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

SoEzzy wrote:
nut woods are few and far between! Sad

Lots of nuts around here. And nut wood, too Laughing

That's got me thinking - I have quite a bit of seasoned Chestnut, too. And I really like the flavor when I do a wood-only fire in the offset. Decisions, decisions.... Laughing

necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

BUGSnBBQ wrote:

I generally prefer a somewhat strong smoke taste to my food (like Hickory and Mesquite), but I also like Pecan a lot. I have a good source for Pecan, so I'm thinking I might use a Hickory and Pecan mix.

I can't honestly say I've ever mixed the two intentionally. I probably have, but not really sure.

Good plan? Dumb plan? Overthinking this??? I just want to have a good plan in place because this will be the usual big batch - 10 to 12 quarts (or more) - and I don't want to screw it up. I freeze quart portions so our kids can fight over it to see who gets the most to take home Laughing Laughing

I'm with you on maple and preferring a more robust smoke flavor.

I'd use pecan if I used my bullet smoker because I have that handy in chunks.

I'd use hickory (or maybe wild cherry) if I used my offset because that's what I have handy in small splits.

IDK if a hickory/pecan mix would yield something significantly different or better than just pecan or just hickory, so I probably wouldn't mix, but I'm not big on mixing smoking woods in general.

If I were to make a mix though, I'd use a 50/50 mesquite and pecan mix and use my bullet smoker.
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro

BUGSnBBQ wrote:

You live in Georgia, of COURSE you have a good source for pecan. Very Happy SW GA, SE AL, and NW FL are chock full of pecan trees. My mom still brings me pecans every year that fall from her neighbor's tree onto her driveway. But I digress. I like what KAM said. You're using the flavor profile to flavor the gumbo. Because of that, I'd go with what you already decided as well. Sometimes less is more, however, in this case, more is better. You're not just flavoring 1 turkey. You're flavoring 3 gallons of what's sounding like some yummy gumbo. Personally, (and it may just be the specific tree), I think pecan tastes like hickory, just a shade lighter. Same tree family, though.

I did a BBQ chili a couple years ago. Took a pound of left over pork butt, a pound of left over brisket and a quart jar of canned deer meat. The butt and the brisket were frozen of course. (Thawed) There was ample smoke flavor throughout the whole 2 gallons I made. It was really good. Don't ask why I had that much leftovers in my freezer. I don't know either.

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

What about oak or mesquite???? Give them a fare shake here Bugs. Razz Very Happy Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

Or one of his favorites - mulberry.

Mulberry smoked gumbo? Might be a new GA flavor sensation.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

necron 99 wrote:
Or one of his favorites - mulberry.

Hybrid Cooker
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

necron 99 wrote:

And it just so happens I have a stack of seasoned Mulberry logs as well. I have a big 'yard', with lot's of different trees, and a chainsaw, so I have a great choice of smoking woods at my disposal. AND - Y'all ain't making this any easier Laughing

But, I don't think I'll use the Mulberry. My new(est) plan is to taste the Andouille when I get it tomorrow and make the decision. I think k.a.m. is right about how differing smoke levels/types on the meats need to blend.

This is kinda weird - I've made Gumbo at least a hundred times and this is the first time I'm using smoked turkey and it's making me nervous. I know it will be at least good, but I want it to be great because of a very nice, older, Creole lady who has given me some Gumbo guidance over the years. I want to impress her with this version because she makes the absolute BEST blue crab gumbo you'll ever put in your mouth and I want her recipe Laughing Laughing

missionsusmc
BBQ Pro

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
necron 99 wrote:

And it just so happens I have a stack of seasoned Mulberry logs as well. I have a big 'yard', with lot's of different trees, and a chainsaw, so I have a great choice of smoking woods at my disposal. AND - Y'all ain't making this any easier Laughing

But, I don't think I'll use the Mulberry. My new(est) plan is to taste the Andouille when I get it tomorrow and make the decision. I think k.a.m. is right about how differing smoke levels/types on the meats need to blend.

This is kinda weird - I've made Gumbo at least a hundred times and this is the first time I'm using smoked turkey and it's making me nervous. I know it will be at least good, but I want it to be great because of a very nice, older, Creole lady who has given me some Gumbo guidance over the years. I want to impress her with this version because she makes the absolute BEST blue crab gumbo you'll ever put in your mouth and I want her recipe Laughing Laughing

Please do share. Blue crabs....mmmmm

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

I do sorely miss going crabbin' for blue crab with some chicken necks. I enjoyed it even more than fishing at times.
whall
BBQ Fan

I might as well throw my 2 cents in Laughing

I like to use 50/50 oak and hickory.

I use straight wood so the oak helps to mellow out the hickory a bit.

I don't really know how else to put it but I think it gives it a "smoother" smoke flavor
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

Hard to beat a good crab gumbo. Wink Before Hurricane Ike took my Best friends cabin on Boliver peninsula we had an annual Fourth of July family gathering. Debbie and I would crab for months preparing for that weekend. We would boil 144 crabs and I would make a huge shrimp and crab gumbo.

Hybrid Cooker
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Nov 20 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another question (mainly for k.a.m., because he's the Zen master of Turkey Gumbo Laughing ) - I'm planning on a simple brine (salt & sugar). Yea or nay?

AND...I was just at the market and they had the puuurrrrdeee-est Blue Crabs Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: