FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I own a restaurant and catering company, ask me anything.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nskitts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26 15 11:48 pm    Post subject: I own a restaurant and catering company, ask me anything. Reply with quote

This thread is for those with questions for those who own a restaurant and/or catering operation and want to share their knowledge of any and all with those that have questions.
Personally, we have not been open as long as some here but I feel compelled to give back to this site what I have taken from it.
The questions should be specific and could range from: how do I hire, how do I fire, where do I get food from, how has this changed your life, how has this affected your social status, how important is location, do you wish you would have opened a different kind of restaurant, etc, etc.
One question can be answered by 10 different owners and there should be no opinions given to the answers, we get enough opinions on how to run our business from our customers.
Any recipe questions should go to another thread. This is about the business of barbecue.
Please don't ask if you think this or that would work. You will get a bunch of opinions that are meaningless because noone knows your specific situation.
This is my offering back. Thanks so much to all that have contributed to this site that has allowed me to be successful thus far.
This is gold folks from those in the trenches all in one place. This is better than a college degree if your goal is to own a bbq restaurant.
So, let the questions fly!!!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27 15 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you do it all over again knowing with what you know now?
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27 15 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you know now, that you wished you'd known about before you started planning it out?

I still work here!
nskitts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27 15 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
Would you do it all over again knowing with what you know now?

Harry, you should be answering questions! lol, a lot of what I have learned has come from your posts!

To answer your question knowing exactly what I know I have went through to get here, no I would not do it again. I would go into a different business though as I have found that I love business.
nskitts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27 15 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
What do you know now, that you wished you'd known about before you started planning it out?

I wish I would have known all the shortcuts now that allow us to come in a 9AM rather than 6:30AM like we did for the first year. Coming in a 6:30AM and leaving at 10:30PM burns you out quickly.

I will think more on this and post more this evening or tomorrow morning.
Grills Gone Wild
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 15 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nskitts wrote:
SoEzzy wrote:

I wish I would have known all the shortcuts now that allow us to come in a 9AM rather than 6:30AM like we did for the first year. Coming in a 6:30AM and leaving at 10:30PM burns you out quickly.

What shortcuts did you come across that helped you come in at 9am, instead of 6:30am?
nskitts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02 15 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grills Gone Wild wrote:
nskitts wrote:
SoEzzy wrote:

What shortcuts did you come across that helped you come in at 9am, instead of 6:30am?

A lot of it was just getting more efficient and also we started using as many things that were pre-done as it potatoes that were already diced rather than dicing them ourselves, eggs that were already boiled and peeled. You can still have fresh made sides but any of those type of shortcuts will save you much labor over the long run.
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02 15 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
we started using as many things that were pre-done as it potatoes that were already diced rather than dicing them ourselves, eggs that were already boiled and peeled. [/quote]
This depends on how well you utilize your staff, using these types of pre processed products adds a lot to your food costs, if you're using your staff time properly you can use that time for prep of these items for almost no added costs, it really depends on the type of staff you have and how smart you are at utilizing their time. Our last choice is pre processed goods.
Texman
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02 15 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A) What is your total costs as a % of sales?
B) Total labor as % of total costs?
C) Labor as a % of total sales?
D) Food as a % of total costs?
E) Food costs as a % of total sales?
F) What estimated % factor do you use for product loss?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: