FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chicago Italian Beef

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21 11 9:10 am    Post subject: Chicago Italian Beef Reply with quote

Anyone who has ever eaten a Chicago Italian Beef sandwich loved it. I mean....you just have to. I have lucked into a place in SA on the Riverwalk run by a husband and wife straight out of chi-town, authentic stuff but it is a 1 1/2 hr trip each way and make it that way only once or twice a year. I decided after seeing Al's on man vs food, I gotta have one more often than that. So...anyone willing to share a recipe for the beef? Gravy? Giardinara peppers mix? Chicago Folks?
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21 11 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/italian_beef.html

This one looks pretty good. There was a mobile food guy beside my raunt for a while that did them, i am pretty sure he was buying everything pre made. HEB should have giardinara.

Hope you get some responses down here in the waste land.
bbqLew
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29 11 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your PM ckone
250 Gallon Reverse Flow

"BBQ is the holy grail of food"
RichardSATX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29 11 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Chicago Italian Beef Reply with quote

Wreckless wrote:
Anyone who has ever eaten a Chicago Italian Beef sandwich loved it. I mean....you just have to. I have lucked into a place in SA on the Riverwalk run by a husband and wife straight out of chi-town, authentic stuff but it is a 1 1/2 hr trip each way and make it that way only once or twice a year. I decided after seeing Al's on man vs food, I gotta have one more often than that. So...anyone willing to share a recipe for the beef? Gravy? Giardinara peppers mix? Chicago Folks?

What was the name of the place on the riverwalk? I would love to hit it up.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03 11 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Chicago Italian Beef Reply with quote

RichardSATX wrote:
Wreckless wrote:

What was the name of the place on the riverwalk? I would love to hit it up.

More than happy to...helluva nice guy," I build every one with love"
Jerry's Chicago Styles Hotdogs
149 East Commerce Street, San Antonio, TX 78205-2226 (210) 465-8200 ‎
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06 11 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ckone, Thank you for the link. Very Happy I think that is exactly what I was looking for. I am going to try it this weekend hopefully. I had completely forgotten about this post.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29 11 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ckone wrote:
http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/italian_beef.html

This one looks pretty good. There was a mobile food guy beside my raunt for a while that did them, i am pretty sure he was buying everything pre made. HEB should have giardinara.

Hope you get some responses down here in the waste land.

ckone, it took a fellow Texan to get me there but it worked well, thank you! Not much worse than having some roaring munchies for something you can't have. The recipe was dead on with the flavor but I did double up on the ingredients, I like a stronger gravy ( juice). I used my slicer to get the meat almost translucent. Some pepperocini peppers and I was in Heaven. A combo with sweet italian sausage is the only way to go. Yum!
mlorenz26

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26 14 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply on this. If your looking for Chicago Style Italian Beef or Chicago style hot dogs check out Vienna Beef. http://www.viennabeef.com/ they are the company that supllies most of the restaurants and hot dog joints around here (Chicago area). You can check their website to see if they ship around the country. They do sell Vienna beef products in the grocery stores around here also if you know anyone that lives around here can ship you some. Hope this helps in your quest for some good old Chicago style Italian beef.

Matt
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26 14 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlorenz26 wrote:
Sorry for the late reply on this. If your looking for Chicago Style Italian Beef or Chicago style hot dogs check out Vienna Beef. http://www.viennabeef.com/ they are the company that supllies most of the restaurants and hot dog joints around here (Chicago area). You can check their website to see if they ship around the country. They do sell Vienna beef products in the grocery stores around here also if you know anyone that lives around here can ship you some. Hope this helps in your quest for some good old Chicago style Italian beef.

Matt

Too strange. Actually your post is not late, been a while since I last made up a batch of Italian beef and the original post here is a bit old, yet, I had several pages open just now on Italian Beef recipes when your post showed up in my notification box. Eerie! Shocked Well, for sure Vienna Beef is "It" when it comes to the beef and Chicago dogs. At one time, for a very short while, my local grocer stocked some "Scala's" Italian beef kits, sports peppers, Giardinara, rolls, all and was no more than like $10. While not Vienna, it was awesome and in my own back yard, many miles from Chicago. Then the grocer quit, prolly due to most Texans not having a clue so...now I am forced to go it alone, can get most ingredients but the sports peppers are a beyotch. Oh well, I am cooking some up this weekend regardless. The Vienna kit is a good idea but due to the $$, I will reserve that for a special occasion and have ordered Portillos and a Lou Malnati pizza several times but again, they were for special occasions. Thanks for the post! Very Happy
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26 14 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to take the easy route, Get Beef from Devanco Foods, their Au Jus, And Giardiniera too. Then you just need to figure out of you want turano or gonella rolls
Ducky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03 15 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bari beef in south Elgin sells and ships very reasonably. The beef is every bit as good as the other guys. I used to buy it from the factory when we lived in St Charles Illinois.
Rosco
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06 15 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm a little late with this, sorry. A friend who used to cook in a joint on Maxwell St. taught me this:
Use a whole beef roast, rub with salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic, brown on all sides.
place in roasting pan, foil is ok, with sliced onion, bay leaves, garlic cloves, green bell pepper slices, two cubes of beef bullion, and about one inch of water. cover with foil, or don't, either way works, but if you leave it uncovered, you'll have to keep an eye on the water.
Cook until tender, I like it medium/pink in center. let cool, and slice on meat slicer as thin as possible. Return beef slices to pan, cover with strained pan juices. replace cooked pepper slices with fresh ones.
Whenever I make this, there are no leftovers, but if you cook it in the smoker, it takes it to a whole nother level! Just watch out for the stampede of neighbors....Even folks who claim to not like smoked food (imagine THAT!) will tear this up.
Camper Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06 15 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where I got this recipe from but I have made it couple of times and it doesn't last long here. I would be interested in how this compares with what you are familiar with.

Hot Italian Giardiniera

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : relish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 green bell peppers -- diced
2 red bell peppers -- diced
8 fresh jalapeno peppers -- sliced
1 stalk celery -- diced
1 medium carrot -- diced
1 small onion -- chopped
1/2 cup fresh cauliflower florets
1/2 cup salt
water to cover

2 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 5 oz jar pimento-stuffed green olives -- chopped
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup olive oil

1. Place into a bowl the green and red peppers, jalapenos, celery, carrots, onion, and cauliflower. Stir in salt, and fill with enough cold water to cover. Place plastic wrap or aluminum foil over the bowl, and refrigerate overnight.
2.The next day, drain salty water, and rinse vegetables. In a bowl, mix together garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and olives. Pour in vinegar and olive oil, and mix well. Combine with vegetable mixture, cover, and refrigerate for 2 days before using.
LEM #5 Meat Grinder
LEM 5# Vertical Sausage Stuffer
Cookshack Model SM025 Electric Smoker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: