FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peg Leg Porker in Nashville, TN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cory Hess
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23 15 4:04 am    Post subject: Peg Leg Porker in Nashville, TN Reply with quote

Every fall we make an annual pilgrimage to the ocean. This last fall we rented a beach house in Gulf Shores, AL and drove both ways. On the way back we ended up in Nashville around dinner time. I pulled up TripAdvisor on my phone and looked for a BBQ joint. The one that we decided on was Peg Leg Porker.

First off, parking was a pain. The restaurant has no parking lot and is on a side street without much street parking and all of the nearby businesses have "We Will Tow" signs posted. It took me a good five minutes to find somewhere to park that was close enough to walk to the restaurant. I was already thinking "This place better be worth it".

The restaurant itself has a large rectangular dining room with a window for ordering on one end and a bar on the other. There is a large outdoor seating area with a second bar. We didn't make it out there because they had signs posted saying that it was reserved for a private party. The motif was pretty typical of a BBQ joint. It had a down home charm with some mismatching chairs at the tables that I liked. They had TVs mounted around the bar area and were showing college football games. There seemed to be a good amount of people there to watch the game.

When we went in there was a line of about 10 people waiting to order before us. The line moved at a reasonable pace, considering there was only one register open. The girl taking our order was very friendly and helpful. There were 12 of us altogether, so between us we ordered just about everything that they offered. The one thing that I found weird was that they offered Wet or Dry Ribs, but when somebody ordered them with sauce they were told that there were bottles of sauce by the drinks and he'd get dry ribs and have to add the sauce himself. It wasn't a big deal, just seemed kind of weird to offer it and then say "do it yourself".

After we ordered we found a couple tables to push together so that we could all enjoy our meals together. The dining room was just under half filled. The bar was pretty full and there looked to be a good sized crowd outside. They had TVs mounted around the bar area and were showing college football games. There seemed to be a good amount of people there to watch the game. The food came fast, and we were back at the counter picking up our order before everybody was done using the bathrooms and washing up. When I went to get some sweet tea it was empty. I told a guy at the counter and he said they had another batch brewing in the back. Within a minute or two somebody was out to fill it. I mention this because everybody working seemed very busy, but they made sure to stop what they were doing to address an issue which I found impressive.

The food was absolutely delicious. It is far and away the best restaurant BBQ I've ever had, knocking Pappy's Smokehouse out of that spot. To be honest, it's not even close. If Peg Leg is a 10, Pappy's is a 6. And I really enjoyed Pappy's. I had the dry ribs with beans, slaw, and smoked green beans. The ribs were much better than the ones I make at home. Embarassed I wish it weren't the truth, but it is. The beans were also excellent as were the green beans. The slaw was just OK. I also tried the brisket, pulled pork, and chicken off of other people's plates. Everything was excellent, but the ribs were definitely the star of the show. Nobody from my group thought that the food was OK or Good. Each and every one of them agreed that it was some of the best BBQ we've ever had.

We must have went at the exact right time, because by the time we were eating the line to order was back to the door. I'd guess it was around 40 people deep. The dining room filled up pretty quick.

If you are anywhere near Nashville I'd definitely recommend a trip to Peg Leg Porker.

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: