FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Build Out Cost Estimates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireman_pete
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Jun 17 2015    Post subject: Build Out Cost Estimates Reply with quote

I realize that there are a ton of variables that could effect what I am asking, but here it goes.

We are considering opening a small bbq place here in So Cal. Yes, California does know BBQ Smile

One of the spaces we are looking at is an empty vanilla shell. It is approx. 1600 sq ft, is new construction, and has never been occupied.

I am trying to get a ball park estimate on the typical costs to build out a restaurant space from an empty shell. I have the equipment costs, but need help on the construction piece. Was hoping to get an estimated cost per square foot.

This would include a small dining area, the kitchen area, etc. Need infrastructure for hoods, sinks, etc.

I am not even sure if this is possible, but wanted to ask.

Thanks!

Pete
Pete's Firehouse BBQ
-Award Winning BBQ, Catering & Spice Rubs
www.petesfirehousebbq.com
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Jun 18 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would draw out a rough plan and get some bids in your market. Build out costs vary so much. There is going to be a lot of expense starting from scratch. Find a place that failed because they had that expense on their back and couldn't make it for 1/2 the price or less. I would also suggest looking at used equipment. I buy lightly used equipment from the auctions that liquidate such ventures. It takes a lot of money and/or time to make a little.
fireman_pete
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Jun 19 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply and info. I would much prefer a space that was already set-up as a restaurant, but I am not finding what I want in a space that is already set-up.

I am definitely looking at used equipment.

THANKS
Pete's Firehouse BBQ
-Award Winning BBQ, Catering & Spice Rubs
www.petesfirehousebbq.com
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Jun 19 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a builder / remodeler for 20+ years for what thats worth... 20 years ago what your asking was somewhat of a viable question, but in recent years there is no such "per sq. ft$$ #" that applies Sad SOO many different regualtions and variables from city, county, state, region etc. not to mention cost fluctuations again due to regulations etc. ....So many options on appliances [ sinks, faucets, to switches for lights etc. etc. etc. ]
Make a simple drawing of the place on grid paper, a basic layout including plumbing [ handicap accessible crappers etc. ], lighting, and take to 2 or 3 builder / remodelers. Expect their guestimate to go up by 20% and many over runs on cost from there.... Twisted Evil Dont go with the low baller as they will figure the cheapest sinks etc. available, but then install high end and charge for it in the end, OR put the junk in, charge more anyhow, and leave you with the bill......Those homeowner TV shows dont help either....telling folks to offer to help....ends up driving the cost up in the long run!!
Oh, and general contracting a job ones self has led to more divorced than kim kardashians a$$.....lol
There are many good builders out there, but just as many shady, if not more!!
I wish you all the best!
Tony
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Shotgun Petes
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Jun 21 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a food truck and skip the brick and mortar! No BS! I'm serious.

"If you can't BBQ with the Big Dogs, back away from the Pit!"

SHOTGUN PETE'S BBQ SHACK
28 N Ninth St
COLUMBIA, MO

(Downtown across from The Blue Note)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: