FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Food Tray Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SigSauerNY
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 21 15 11:50 pm    Post subject: Food Tray Question Reply with quote

Wondering what size trays folks are using for their bbq. I am between a 1/4 size sheetpan, 1/2 size seems a bit large, or using a plastic food tray (also multiple sizes issue) but feel the stainless will keep nicer and take more punishment

using 18" butcher paper as a liner
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri May 22 15 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are using mostly baskets. but do use trays for full slabs, and family-style presentations of multiple pounds of meats.

Covered in butcher paper of course
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 22 15 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use 13 inch plastic round bar trays here and I would say they are one of the best investments I've ever made here! They are made by Shawnee in Overland Park, KS. At just over 2 bucks each, with shipping, they have lasted 2 to 3 years of daily use lined with foil cushioned sandwich liners, 14x16, with foil side up. I just bought only the 3rd round since we opened 8 1/2 years ago. See our facebook page for pictures. I don't find kitchen equipment used as serving a tray a very attractive presentation. IMO. Kitchen trays are fairly spendy as well.
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 22 15 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have seen "fast food trays" being used a fair amount, and they are cheap in bulk.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/3377/12-x-16-fast-food-trays.html

I know places in this area that only do butcher paper. No tray under it. Requires 2 hands to carry though.
Grills Gone Wild
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 23 15 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of places around here go with the smaller metal trays lined with butcher paper.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun May 24 15 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grills Gone Wild wrote:
Lots of places around here go with the smaller metal trays lined with butcher paper.

Do you have a link or a picture of what these are?
Maybe something with dimensions.
My plastic ones are finally getting beat up and I may upgrade
Grills Gone Wild
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 25 15 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of pictures with food on the tray.

Grills Gone Wild
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 25 15 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see if I can get the dimensions. if I had to guess I would say they are about 10"x14". I like the size of these because it doesn't make the portions look small compared to tray.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon May 25 15 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grills Gone Wild wrote:
I'll see if I can get the dimensions. if I had to guess I would say they are about 10"x14". I like the size of these because it doesn't make the portions look small compared to tray.

Cool, Thanx,

I wonder how long it would take for these philistines to have those bent up and destroyed.
I wear some of these people could break an anvil with a rubber mallet!

We have done away with most all of the disposables that we could, no more paper plates, or disposable flatware, the cost over 1 year was astronomical.
We do a bunch of butcher paper, and baskets lined with plain white deli waxed paper sheets
bjbbq

PostPosted: Tue May 26 15 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we use the plastic 10x14 black with 24" butcher paper. We cut the butcher paper in about 10" pieces and then cut them in half. A 1000ft roll last about a month and a half.

Trays hold up well. My biggest problem is the baskets and silverware get thrown away and I"m constantly replacing them. Still less expensive than disposable though.

Bubba
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue May 26 15 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjbbq wrote:
we use the plastic 10x14 black with 24" butcher paper. We cut the butcher paper in about 10" pieces and then cut them in half. A 1000ft roll last about a month and a half.

Trays hold up well. My biggest problem is the baskets and silverware get thrown away and I"m constantly replacing them. Still less expensive than disposable though.

Bubba

Is it your customers throwing it away, or your employees?

I have removed all garbage cans from customer accessible areas, and our customers are instructed to leave their items on the table when done.

Using clear garbage bags also helps, and there are garbage can covers with strong magnets that do not allow flatware to pass through. I've tried throwing things past the magnets, it cannot be done!

Clear garbage bags, and a locked dumpster will reduce the chance of product walking out the back door by an employee who thinks that is a good way to sneak that $200.00 rib roast out the door. (Seen it done!)
Grills Gone Wild
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 27 15 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out they are 1/4 baking sheet pans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: