FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Something you may already know ( or not)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zski
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 06 15 7:53 pm    Post subject: Something you may already know ( or not) Reply with quote

I smoked four pork butts this last weekend for a Boy Scout bridgeover, and was dreading pulling all of them because of time restraints and I just didn't want to. Well, a friend of mine said he does his in a Ktchen Aide mixer using the paddle attachment. So, I tried it, and the results were amazing. I just put in chunks of pork ( fat include) and within 20 minutes I was done. It looked as if I pulled it by hand. If I can help just one person out, I did my job.

Traeger 075
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 07 15 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great idea! It just so happens that I'm doing 4 butts (45 pounds total) for a friend-of-a-friend Saturday, so I'll give this a try. I wasn't looking forward to pulling them while they were still very hot. How big are the chunks you use? Like cut a 10-pounder in quarter's and do the whole thing?
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
zski
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 07 15 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs, mine were all 10 lbs as well. I don't think I quartered them, maybe a little smaller. I started off on the lowest speed and increased a little as needed. I hope it works as well for you as it did for me. Let me know. It was a lifesaver.

Traeger 075
BBcue-z
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 07 15 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea!!
I’ll have to try it.

I use this paint mixer that I picked up at HD for around $4 and a drill to do the same thing. Works great too Smile
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Warner-5-gal-Heavy-Duty-Power-Driven-Paint-Mixer-30388/205052759
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu May 07 15 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a film the other day on pulled chicken done this way and was thinking hmmmmmmm........ pulled pork. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 08 15 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, zski! I'll give it a whirl and report my scientific observations. My only concern is I usually do a lot of 'Quality Control' when I'm pulling (tasting), so I'm worried I might not get enough to eat. Uhhh...I mean something might slip by me Laughing

k.a.m. wrote:
I watched a film the other day on pulled chicken done this way and was thinking hmmmmmmm........ pulled pork. Very Happy

8mm? Was it in color? Did it have sound? Wink Laughing Laughing

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri May 08 15 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
Thanks, zski! I'll give it a whirl and report my scientific observations. My only concern is I usually do a lot of 'Quality Control' when I'm pulling (tasting), so I'm worried I might not get enough to eat. Uhhh...I mean something might slip by me Laughing

k.a.m. wrote:

8mm? Was it in color? Did it have sound? Wink Laughing Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 11 15 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellas...
Get ya a Ro-Man Pork Puller. I can zip through a case of butts in minutes! Yes a little pricy but hey if time is an issue you'll love it. I think eBay has other brands also. Made in Nebraska.
porkpuller.com watch the video!
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 11 15 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say this method worked great! I cut each butt into 6 pieces and did 4 pieces in each batch on the #4 speed setting. Took me about 10 minutes to 'pull' 45 pounds (uncooked weight) of hot butt Wink I also put in a bit of Roxy's Mustard sauce while I was mixing and sent an additional half gallon with the meat. I got a text an hour after he picked it up that said 'OMFG!!! This is the BEST BBQ I've ever had!'. My head swelled up with so much pride I couldn't get through the doorway of my house Laughing Laughing

I enjoyed doing this for a friend-of-a-friend and I also made a few bucks in the process. I did the butts on my WSM, so no fire-tending, and I was making more sauce anyway. Add in the easy pulling and I call this little exercise in capitalism a success! Laughing Laughing

zski
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 11 15 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs, so glad this worked for you. Like I said, if I can help one person, I did my job. Well, it looks like I did my job. Thanks for letting me know how it went, I been wondering. Now mixing in the mustard sauce, that's genius.

Traeger 075
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 12 15 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zski wrote:
Now mixing in the mustard sauce, that's genius.

I usually do that because it adds a little extra zing to it. Mustard and PP are a perfect match, but the traditional South Carolina Mustard sauce is too sweet for my taste and Roxy's hits the right balance IMO.

mantipp

PostPosted: Wed May 13 15 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Something you may already know ( or not) Reply with quote

zski wrote:
I smoked four pork butts this last weekend for a Boy Scout bridgeover, and was dreading pulling all of them because of time restraints and I just didn't want to. Well, a friend of mine said he does his in a Ktchen Aide mixer using the paddle attachment. So, I tried it, and the results were amazing. I just put in chunks of pork ( fat include) and within 20 minutes I was done. It looked as if I pulled it by hand. If I can help just one person out, I did my job.

I just did 2 butts last weekend and I didn't know this. Did you use the regular paddle attachment or the one with the rubber sides on it?
zski
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 13 15 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
zski wrote:
Now mixing in the mustard sauce, that's genius.

I usually do that because it adds a little extra zing to it. Mustard and PP are a perfect match, but the traditional South Carolina Mustard sauce is too sweet for my taste and Roxy's hits the right balance IMO.

I am with you on the Roxy's mustard sauce and pulled pork marriage. I have converted a few people to go that route, instead of BBQ sauce.

Traeger 075
zski
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 13 15 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Something you may already know ( or not) Reply with quote

mantipp wrote:
zski wrote:

I just did 2 butts last weekend and I didn't know this. Did you use the regular paddle attachment or the one with the rubber sides on it?

Mantipp, yes, just the regular paddle attachment. It works wonders.

Traeger 075
mantipp

PostPosted: Wed May 13 15 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Something you may already know ( or not) Reply with quote

zski wrote:
mantipp wrote:
zski wrote:

Mantipp, yes, just the regular paddle attachment. It works wonders.

I'll give it a shot next time. Thanks for the tip!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: